DaveEV

Re: Blink Membership Rollout Starts Today in Maricopa County

Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:15 pm

davewill wrote:
ENIAC wrote:Randy, sounds like you're a fanboy. (As long as we're making judgement calls) ...
Actually he's a moderator and an SDG&E employee that's been doing a great job of supporting our community on his own time...plus he's absolutely right. Your complaints about having to pay are pretty selfish. The facts are that if public charging can't even pay it's own maintenance costs, we might as well rip them out now.
+1. Before you start calling people fanbois, you might consider what it actually costs to provide said infrastructure.

$2/hour is very unlikely to be sufficient to even break-even at this time unless you have a high usage station.

Comparing the incremental cost of charging at home (the price of electricity) to the cost of charging in public where a business is trying to break even on said infrastructure (and the business pays basically the same electricity rates if not more) pretty much means that charging in public will always cost significantly more.

People don't hesitate to pay $2 for a soft-drink at a restaurant when they can drink the same thing for 25c at home.

It's the same thing for public charging.

Personally, I will not hesitate to pay $2/hour if I need a charge, and I certainly won't drive the Prius instead which defeats the purpose of buying a LEAF in the first place. Do I wish that the rate varied depending on actual consumption? Sure - but that's still not going to stop me from charging and paying for it.

jspearman
Delivery Date: 20 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 5954

Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:53 pm

At $1/hr, I'm pretty sure they will still be eeking out some pretty thin margins for the near-future. The government support was meant to set up long-term structures, and that's what it's doing. Peek at the Blink map for Phoenix--right now there are 9 cars plugged into chargers here. Unless everyone at Blink headquarters is making $1/day, then I guess they are not making a killing...yet. I hope for their success and I don't mind paying $1/hour if I happen to be out and need a charge. I'm rarely plugged in longer than 2 hours when I'm out, and that's only if dinner is running long at Hula's Tiki. $2-5/week is better than than the old days of filling up the car with gas.

For the record, I am not affiliated with Blink, but all my dealings with them have been positive.

Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:23 pm

I'm signed up for the Basic membership. At the risk of sounding cheap, if I decide to upgrade to the Blink Plus membership this year with the waived $30 fee as being promoted, how easy is it to convert back to the Blink Basic membership with no fee next year? Or will I be stuck with the Plus membership?

Also, is the membership based on calendar year? (meaning beginning of all membership year is January 1st)

DesertDenizen
Delivery Date: 11 Sep 2014
Leaf Number: 314507

Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:40 pm

Volusiano wrote:I'm signed up for the Basic membership. At the risk of sounding cheap, if I decide to upgrade to the Blink Plus membership this year with the waived $30 fee as being promoted, how easy is it to convert back to the Blink Basic membership with no fee next year? Or will I be stuck with the Plus membership?

Also, is the membership based on calendar year? (meaning beginning of all membership year is January 1st)
I did the Blink Plus as the fee is waived and will drop it at the end of December. Might as well get the benefit of the remaining free months. Next year I'll be fine just charging at home for free; I charge 98% at home now anyway.
Fully charged by photo voltaic system.
Nov 9 2014 got my 2015 lease, SL. My third Leaf. Tucson AZ. 5,500 miles, 5.2 long term m/kwh. Let us see if the 'lizard' battery does better than my 2011, which lost a capacity bar at 6,771 miles.

Blink
Delivery Date: 05 Jul 2012

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:03 pm

DesertDenizen wrote:
Volusiano wrote:I'm signed up for the Basic membership. At the risk of sounding cheap, if I decide to upgrade to the Blink Plus membership this year with the waived $30 fee as being promoted, how easy is it to convert back to the Blink Basic membership with no fee next year? Or will I be stuck with the Plus membership?

I did the Blink Plus as the fee is waived and will drop it at the end of December. Might as well get the benefit of the remaining free months. Next year I'll be fine just charging at home for free; I charge 98% at home now anyway.
Volusiano,

If you choose to change your Blink Plus membership at a later date, all you'll have to do is re-choose the new membership of your choice when ready. Also, your membership calendar year starts on the day you sign up. For example: If you signed up today - July 10, 2012 - your membership will expire on July 10, 2013. Thanks for the question!

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:12 pm

ENIAC wrote:The EV Project should have been recompeted a year and a half ago. If it had, maybe there would have been QCs throughout SoCal.
I think that is a very valid point (though may be the timeline isn't accurate) - but should be in a separate thread. Let us keep this thread to talk about Blink Membership.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

walterbays
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:24 pm

DesertDenizen wrote:I did the Blink Plus as the fee is waived and will drop it at the end of December. Might as well get the benefit of the remaining free months. Next year I'll be fine just charging at home for free; I charge 98% at home now anyway.
I charge probably 99%+ at home. But if there were Blink stations, operational, available, and not ICEd, at most shopping centers I visited, and if there were Blink QC stations along most roads I traveled, then I might well be using them a non-trivial amount. If Nissan had sold all the cars they forecast, and if Ecotality had installed all the chargers they forecast, then Ecotality would have collected all the offered DOE money and would have collected a ton of relevant real world data on how chargers were used. If that had happened, I think $30/yr for discounted access to the network would be a very good deal.

As it is, whenever they ask for money for Blink Plus I'll have to evaluate it on the basis of what they have to offer for the money at that moment. I won't pay for promises. But I'd sure pay for access to at least half a dozen QC stations (current count: zero) or for access to a truly widespread network of L2 stations, say at every Starbucks in the county.

Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:54 pm

Blink wrote:Volusiano,

If you choose to change your Blink Plus membership at a later date, all you'll have to do is re-choose the new membership of your choice when ready. Also, your membership calendar year starts on the day you sign up. For example: If you signed up today - July 10, 2012 - your membership will expire on July 10, 2013. Thanks for the question!
Can you give me some additional clarification? It says "Upgrade now and we'll waive your annual fee of $30 membership dues for 2012".

If I signed up for a Basic Membership recently (let's say July 1st, 2012). I then just upgraded today (July 10, 2012). When will be I charge with a renewal fee of $30? January 1st 2013? Or July 1st 2013? Or July 10th, 2013?

One more question: I logged back on your website and don't see any date record of when I signed up recently for the basic membership. Without this information shown, how are people supposed to remember what date they signed up for their membership?
Last edited by Volusiano on Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Blink
Delivery Date: 05 Jul 2012

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:26 am

DarkStar wrote:
Blink wrote:
DarkStar wrote:How much for L2? (last I heard, $1 per hour)
How much for DC-QC? (no estimates given)
Here is a link to our Membership page - https://www.blinknetwork.com/membership.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - With a Blink Plus membership, charging is $1 per hour - (and signing up for this membership is currently free), - Blink Basic is $1.50 per hour and Blink Guest is $2 per hour.

Currently, DCFC charging is free.
Yes, I've checked that page, however it states specifically the following (emphasis mine):

Blink Plus - Charge for as low as $1.00 per hour ($30 annual fee, automatic credit card billing required)
Blink Basic - Charge for as low as $1.50 per hour (no annual fee, automatic credit card billing required)
Blink Guest - Your charge: As low as $2.00 per hour (no annual fee, manual credit card charging per session)

The language means that the $1/1.50/2 per hour fee isn't fixed and that when we show up at a station it could be $2, $3, maybe even $5 per hour. Also, the language doesn't tell us how billing is performed, for example is it calculated per minute, half-hour, or single hour. If I charge for 65 minutes at a station that is $1 per hour, I have no idea if I'm being billed $2 or $1.09, or maybe even $1.50. If Blink wants this to work for the public, the actual fees and periods need to be clearly spelled out.
Hey Darkstar,

Charging will be billed per hour. Therefore at 65 minutes, you will be billed $2. Also, rates are listed "as low as" because rates may vary depending on local utility rates. Hope this helps!
Last edited by Blink on Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkStar
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568

Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:10 pm

Blink wrote:Hey Darkstar,

Charging will be billed per hour. Therefore at 65 minutes, you will be $2. Also, rates are listed "as low as" because rates may vary depending on local utility rates. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the info!
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

Return to “Local / Regional Discussions”