Level III Comes to O'ahu

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akohekohe

I stopped by the Kahala Aloha Mini Mart on my way home (on my bicycle) Monday and they now have a Level III charging station. It will be ready for use on Wednesday (they are having a ceremony at 10:00 am). There is also one available at the Aloha Mini Mart in Waipio and the Shell in Kailua. I've confirmed the Waipio one is open but don't know for sure about the Kailua one. I paid extra for the level III capacity so I'm happy to finally have some available on the island! Apparently they will be free during an introductory period (I'm not sure how long that will be).

Related:

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/releases/f3855c04-a1a8-4b48-8713-f2395ae6c081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...Thanks to the cooperative efforts of Mitsubishi Motors and diversified power management solutions company Eaton Corporation – an official electric vehicle charging equipment supplier for MMNA and supplier for commercial Level 2 charging stations at its EV certified dealerships – the Honolulu area and the island of O'ahu are seeing a rapid expansion in the number of safe and convenient Eaton electric vehicle (EV) charging stations installed on Hawaii's most populous island.

Eaton will soon have an ultra-fast DC electric vehicle (EV) quick charger at Ko Olina Resort – one of the premier vacation destinations in Hawaii. The Eaton DC Quick Charger can replenish an empty 2012 Mitsubishi i main lithium-ion battery pack to 80% full in under 30 minutes...

http://factory-automation.blogspot.com/2012/04/mitsubishi-i-electric-vehicle-owners.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
005.jpg

The Kailua Shell DC Quick-charge is operational! Charged there on Thursday :D

It is free for "a couple of months", I have been told be the station manager. You have to go in to the store to have the attendant swipe the FOB if you don't have an AeroVironment card yet.

Note to the person who was plugged in way past being full--please don't just leave your car parked there past your charge time! That is not fair to others. Let's all play nice and share these. Thanks.

TheBiologist said:
The Kailua Shell DC Quick-charge is operational! Charged there on Thursday :D

It is free for "a couple of months", I have been told be the station manager. You have to go in to the store to have the attendant swipe the FOB if you don't have an AeroVironment card yet.

Note to the person who was plugged in way past being full--please don't just leave your car parked there past your charge time! That is not fair to others. Let's all play nice and share these. Thanks.
Ask the owner to please put up a standard 30 minute time limit on the parking space sign or you will be towed with reference to the vehicle code and towing company. Good ole, standard parking time limit or you will be trowed sign is the easy, standard way to solve the problem in a way that people have been familiar with since they started driving.

DaveinOlyWA said:
interesting button color choices

start-blue
stop-green?

Seems to be a CHAdeMO standard. Most of the pictures of the CHAdeMO chargers I've seen (admittedly never seen one in person yet) seem to use blue for start and green for stop. Weird, I agree.

spleenster said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

start-blue
stop-green?

Seems to be a CHAdeMO standard. Most of the pictures of the CHAdeMO chargers I've seen (admittedly never seen one in person yet) seem to use blue for start and green for stop. Weird, I agree.

well i have used a few of them and our "standard" is green-go, red-stop

The one at Kahala broke the first day. According to the attendant I talked to someone tried to put it in wrong, forced it, and broke a pin. They hope to have it fixed later this week. Try calling first if you are planning on using it.

akohekohe said:
The one at Kahala broke the first day. According to the attendant I talked to someone tried to put it in wrong, forced it, and broke a pin. They hope to have it fixed later this week. Try calling first if you are planning on using it.

ok, i admit i have ONLY used AV DCFCs so have no experience with Blink or Eaton, but how can one put it in wrong? does not the plug simply plug in straight up? no twist handle to left, no twist handle to right?? just straight in right?

on AV, to plug it in incorrectly would require a lot of energy to turn the very heavy cable from its normal position

OK, So I tried to use the one at Kailua Shell. Broke yesterday! Yep, somebody broke it. They expect to have it fixed next week. Think the one in Waipio is working?

They really need to stop deploying CHAdeMO units with the easily broken plugs... I would have thought that most CHAdeMO manufacturers have figured out that having a plug that breaks when you look at it funny is not good for business...

DaveinOlyWA said:
this is an Eaton station? sad to see that this issue appears across multiple manufacturers

No, both these were AV stations. The other picture in this thread was not one of these.

akohekohe said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
this is an Eaton station? sad to see that this issue appears across multiple manufacturers

No, both these were AV stations. The other picture in this thread was not one of these.

we also had our first AV station failure here in Tumwater Friday night. QC session was started and running fine. got to 5 KW and user decided to check Carwings from smartphone when he did that, it caused AV station to fault. station could not be remotely reset and is still down at this moment

Apparently the Kailua station was criminally targeted and stripped of its electrical wiring. The Kahala one was just accidentally broken by a user. The Waipio station is still functioning, last I heard. Check the PlugShare app for the latest (and please contribute with updates :) )

DaveinOlyWA said:
spleenster said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

start-blue
stop-green?

well i have used a few of them and our "standard" is green-go, red-stop

Ah, in that case, apparently, I've just been looking at a bunch of similar pics. :) I've noticed the weird colored buttons on some of the CHAdeMO chargers from Japan.

drees said:
They really need to stop deploying CHAdeMO units with the easily broken plugs... I would have thought that most CHAdeMO manufacturers have figured out that having a plug that breaks when you look at it funny is not good for business...

idiocydemotivator.jpg

And now people are stealing the cabling? This is what I was afraid of. I sure hope people don't start ripping off L2 station cables next.

Not sure if everyone knows or not, but the 3 level 3 charging stations (Kahala, Waipio, and Kailua) are now charging six dollars a session as of April 1, 2013

Back