ENIAC
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224

SDG&E asks for higher rates on customers who go solar

Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:47 pm

Homeowners with solar power may have to dig a little deeper to pay off their green investment if regulators approve San Diego Gas & Electric Co.'s request to change the way electricity is billed.

Under its proposal, SDG&E would unbundle the charges for electricity and for transporting electricity.
http://www.nctimes.com/blogsnew/busines ... 50fa1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Re: SDG&E asks for higher rates on customers who go solar

Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:18 pm

Hmm. My gut reaction is "no fair, greedy bastards"... But, upon reflection is does make a certain amount of sense. As they say "the grid is acting as your battery" - how much would adding a battery backup to your solar system cost you? As long as their fee is less than that, I'd be fine with it. If it's not, I'd opt for the battery and decouple from the grid completely.

Of course, I don't live in SDG&E's service area, but others may follow suit if they succeed.

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:07 pm

Maybe the on peak charges are too high if SDGE does not like to pay that much :roll:

I look forward to the day when there is so much solar power the overnight charges are higher and daytime electric is abundent ;)
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

DaveEV

Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:36 pm

From the article:
According to SDG&E, that means each solar customer receives a subsidy of $1,100 a year from traditional customers
Complete BS. Year in my house without solar: $640. So now that I've gone solar I cost the utility twice as much? :roll:

My bill after solar was about $110 for the year. So now I'm supposed to pay another $11-30/month? That will cut the incentive to install solar by a huge amount. My break-even period was already around 10 years because I don't use much electricity - with this change it could be pushed out to 20-30 years. Why install solar at that point? You might as well go completely off-grid. The cost will be similar!

I really feel bad for all the people doing solar leasing - they'll end up paying more on their bill instead of less.

If they get this rate increase approved, it will kill the San Diego residential and commercial PV industry over night.

Nekota
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2182

Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:49 pm

Since the utility isn't interested in generating electricity they have to find new revenue sources which brings me to the conclusion why do we need the utility? Maybe the controlling power entity shouldn't be the utility but the ISO and cut out the middleman.
Res 20Apr2010 / Ordered 27Sep2010 / Delivered 12May2011

PV System

wsbca
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2011

Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:16 pm

So presumably they'll implement this via the TOU meter, charging the non-electricity portion on all kWh consumed downstream through it, regardless of the ultimate net, ie not reimbursing for it when you are generating back in the other direction. Isn't that the inverse of what they should really want - that is, won't it create an incentive for me to charge when my panels are generating, whenever possible, to minimize the gross consumption at the expense of favorable timing of the net consumption? What happened to the desire (need?) to shift the EV load to nighttime leaving daytime kWh available for air conditioners? Or more accurately, to make PV output available to bolster the grid for daytime use, in exchange for deferring the EV load to off-peak. I'm not sure which is the more egregious aspect of this, the greed or the stupidity.

They're already getting compensated for providing me with a 'battery' by me providing them with gobs of clean power exactly when they need it most. Granted that doesn't scale infinitely (won't work if every single house had raw net-zero solar), but it seems to me we're DECADES away from it actually becoming a burden rather than a benefit to them.
I was promised a jet pack!

chris17660
Delivery Date: 28 Sep 2011

Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:18 pm

I won't argue that it is far cheaper to use the grid as a battery than to invest in actual physical batteries. I'm inclined to believe it is more efficient as well. But I would also suggest that the benefit SDG&E gets from receiving power at peak times and avoiding the need to buy power from other sources at a premium would diminish this unintended subsidy they speak of. This would benefit all customers in the form of lower rates in the summer so isn't it the solar customer that are subsidizing the non-solar customers?

For net metering customers we already have to pay for a base fee regardless of usage.

Who here believes that if this is passed, SDG&E will pass the $$ to the customers?

Spies
Delivery Date: 10 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0255

Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:01 pm

Wow! First PG&E proposing changes to the E9 electric vehicle rate that are so bad I might as well go back to a non TOU rate and charge the car and use electricity whenever I want and now this SDG&E proposal for solar customers that will no doubt be adopted by PG&E if approved. What the heck is going on? The conspiracy theorist in me feels that the power companies feel stronger than ever that solar and electric vehicles are a real threat to their existence and will slow down their adoption as best they can! Boy does that sound odd. Time to investigate off grid systems.
Green Honda EV Plus 02/1998-12/2003 plate "ZERO CO2" rip, Aptera 2e #726 canceled
Blue Nissan Leaf SL loaded reserved 04/20/2010 ordered 08/31/2010 EVSE Blink #182
CARWINGS Nickname Theres233, should be Spies

ENIAC
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:37 pm

I just don't understand how the PUC could possibly support SDG&E on this, given SDG&E missed the Clean Energy Mandate for 2010. The state mandated goal was to produce 20% of its electricity from renewable sources by 2010 and SDG&E achieved only 11.9%. That's a rather large miss.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2011/mar/08/sd ... y-mandate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

Stoaty
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:54 pm

ENIAC wrote:I just don't understand how the PUC could possibly support SDG&E on this, given SDG&E missed the Clean Energy Mandate for 2010. The state mandated goal was to produce 20% of its electricity from renewable sources by 2010 and SDG&E achieved only 11.9%. That's a rather large miss.
Yes, even the Los Angeles DWP got to 19.6%.
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

Return to “Utilities”