DaveEV

Re: SDG&E asks for higher rates on customers who go solar

Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:27 pm

SanDust wrote:Note that AFAIK this proposal does not effect the EV-TOU2 plan or any other TOU plan. If you're a net generator and have an EV that plan is probably the best deal out there. This proposal doesn't change that.
If you read my earlier post it does sound like they are planning on doing this to all residential customers - if so, I highly doubt they would exclude EV meters.

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:29 pm

eHelmholtz wrote:I just signed the petition below. I don't have solar power but it seems a sensible thing to do to encourage adoption of green fuels.

http://signon.org/sign/fight-san-diego- ... by=1255831" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I signed it as well. I live in Orange County, but if SDG&E gets their way, guess who'll be next? All of us!
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SanDust

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:59 pm

drees wrote:it does sound like they are planning on doing this to all residential customers - if so, I highly doubt they would exclude EV meters.
I think the policy of not applying the export fee would more broadly exempt all net metering customers on a TOU plan. One problem for SDG&E is that the law is quite specific on how they have to credit net generators on TOU plans:

(B)  For all eligible customer-generators taking service under contracts or tariffs employing time-of-use rates, any net monthly consumption of electricity shall be calculated according to the terms of the contract or tariff to which the same customer would be assigned, or be eligible for, if the customer was not an eligible customer-generator. When those same customer-generators are net generators during any discrete time-of-use period, the net kilowatthours produced shall be valued at the same price per kilowatthour as the electric utility would charge for retail kilowatthour sales during that same time-of-use period.

I'm not seeing any wiggle room here for an additional export distribution fee. Do you?

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:03 pm

For TOU, according to that, they would pay you (at Peak Time) something like 9¢ for the electricity you generate, but charge you for electricity plus "distribution", about 35¢ per kWh, for electricity you use?

The new meters total net, but also total Out (excess generation) and total In (used). So, in the same Peak time of one day, you might over-gen 20 kWh AND (under varible cloud cover) use 20 kWh (net 0 for the time period that day). But, the PU wants to charge you (something like 35¢ x 20 - 9¢ x 20 = $5.20 for that day's NET ZERO Peak period! And, then the PU charges your neighbors 35¢ x 20 = $7.00 for their "use" of your over-generated electricity, which might have been transported only a few yards.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius
2011 LEAF, 2014 Tesla S85
2018 & 2019 Tesla Model 3
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
Craigslist: Xm5000Li Electric Motorcycle

SanDust

Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:25 pm

My reading is that they have to pay you what you would have paid them, including both the transmission and distribution fees and and power costs. So if you have to pay $.35 for a kWh at noon in July the utility has to pay you $.35 for a kWh at noon in July.

Trying to limit the charges to the power cost only is being too cute. Plus they've been calculating net metering using all charges for over a decade so I think their past conduct has effectively conceded the point. Too late now to try and reinterpret the statute. I don't think BTW this is their argument. They want to add a part of the distribution fee for the generation, not the whole distribution fee and not any transmission fees.

Also note these provisions of AB 510:

Any new or additional demand charge, standby charge, customer charge, minimum monthly charge, interconnection charge, or any other charge that would increase an eligible customer-generator’s costs beyond those of other customers who are not eligible customer-generators in the rate class to which the eligible customer-generator would otherwise be assigned if the customer did not own, lease, rent, or otherwise operate an eligible solar or wind electrical generating facility is contrary to the intent of this section, and shall not form a part of net energy metering contracts or tariffs.

Seems pretty clear that the proposed distribution fee is contrary to state law. No idea why SDG&E thinks this is OK. Maybe amendments?

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:30 am

today
Voters in Boulder passed two measures on Tuesday that would allow the city to lay plans to start a municipal utility and cut ties with Xcel Energy, its current, corporate power provider. Proponents say the move will give the city greater leeway to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The ballot measures, which pave the way for the homegrown utility and include a nearly $2 million tax increase to pay for legal and logistical fees, each passed narrowly by 51.78 percent and 50.27 percent, respectively, according to unofficial election results from Boulder County. Xcel Energy contended that it was better positioned to provide the city with energy at a far cheaper rate.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

walterbays
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:41 am

Boomer23 wrote:I signed it as well. I live in Orange County, but if SDG&E gets their way, guess who'll be next? All of us!
You were right. http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011 ... customers/

ttweed
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1317

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:51 am

thankyouOB wrote:today
Voters in Boulder passed two measures on Tuesday that would allow the city to lay plans to start a municipal utility and cut ties with Xcel Energy, its current, corporate power provider. Proponents say the move will give the city greater leeway to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The ballot measures, which pave the way for the homegrown utility and include a nearly $2 million tax increase to pay for legal and logistical fees, each passed narrowly by 51.78 percent and 50.27 percent, respectively, according to unofficial election results from Boulder County. Xcel Energy contended that it was better positioned to provide the city with energy at a far cheaper rate.
Let's hope Boulder does a better job at it than the city of Vernon did.
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/28 ... s-20110829

TT
Tom Tweed
La Jolla, CA
Plowshare Media
2011 SLe #1317 del. 4/1/11
1st bar lost at 31,953 miles
2nd bar lost at 38,685 miles
3rd bar lost at 50,711 miles
4th bar lost at 59,758 miles after 64 months
Battery replaced at 61,307 miles.

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:55 am

ttweed wrote:
thankyouOB wrote:today
Let's hope Boulder does a better job at it than the city of Vernon did.
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/28 ... s-20110829

TT
that is a total non-sequitor; Vernon didnt have a utility, they had crooks.
many cities do this in CA.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

johnr
Delivery Date: 11 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2151

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:55 am

Here's another article on this topic:

http://www.solarindustrymag.com/e107_pl ... ntent.9095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My trip to Mineral King and the value of regen

Charging stations, electrical adapters, and portable CHAdeMO quick chargers

2011 upgrade: Fossil < Leaf. 2014 upgrade: Leaf < imiev. 2017 upgrade: imiev < tesla. Done upgrading.

Return to “Utilities”