leafarmer
Delivery Date: 12 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 718

Re: PG&E called; Cupertino is their highest density EV marke

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:37 am

saintyohann wrote:Drive through the Apple campus, that's where you'll find them...
No kidding. Apple has about two dozen Chargepoint stations scattered around their various Cupertino buildings, and they are often occupied.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:27 pm

Does the area have smart meters yet? I would think PG&E would have all the demand numbers by transformer if they did.
Phone call is kinda lame these days. JMO.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

DeaneG
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 594

Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:20 pm

smkettner wrote:Does the area have smart meters yet? I would think PG&E would have all the demand numbers by transformer if they did.
The phone call wasn't to measure electricity usage. It was to verify electric vehicle ownership, and ask about L1 vs L2 charging.
My smartmeter was swapped out when I got PV solar. They don't have a backoffice software solution for net smartmetering yet.
White SL w/L3, 3kWDC Solar PV

TEG

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:23 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:...spotting EVs in the Bay area might only be where EV owners work. commuting to Palo Alto is common considering its a small area, half the town...
East Palo Alto and Palo Alto are two very different cities. In fact they are in different counties. East Palo Alto has changed a lot in the past 25 years, including much redevelopment. Still, I don't think most locals think of them as two halves...

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:55 pm

DeaneG wrote:
smkettner wrote:Does the area have smart meters yet? I would think PG&E would have all the demand numbers by transformer if they did.
The phone call wasn't to measure electricity usage. It was to verify electric vehicle ownership, and ask about L1 vs L2 charging.
My smartmeter was swapped out when I got PV solar. They don't have a backoffice software solution for net smartmetering yet.
Are you not on a TOU plan? Otherwise usage is usage and once they have TOU data they know the peak load on any particular equipment.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

Nekota
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2182

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:03 am

smkettner wrote:
DeaneG wrote:
Are you not on a TOU plan? Otherwise usage is usage and once they have TOU data they know the peak load on any particular equipment.
The PG&E Smartmeter is not able to measure local generated power or sense the direction of the power flow. I don't have local generation so my Smartmeter is able to report each hour of power demand after a couple of days have passed. Those with PV generation have to use a net meter that is able to sense the direction of power flow but it doesn't phone home or report the data to a 'backoffice solution'. So a meter reader 'reads' the meter with a logging tool at some periodic time interval and the meter has measured the power generation and power used for each of the TOU 'accumulators' and you get to "true up" with PG&E. This seems very primitive to me since the dumb meter was capable of running backwards - it just didn't phone home nor knew the time of day. I guess the Smartmeter does not account for the sign of the voltage and current when it multiplies to determine the power - not a very good application of engineering in my opinion.
Res 20Apr2010 / Ordered 27Sep2010 / Delivered 12May2011

PV System

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:10 am

The SmartMeters (can transmit their info in to SDG&E) being installed here (not on TOD for me), show Total IN and Total OUT, and the NET.

So, this PU (SDG&E) is "feeling" like they should be collecting MORE money when they can NOW see 25 kWh used (IN, for one day), and 25 kWh sent OUT (NET = zero).
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius
2011 LEAF, 2014 Tesla S85
2018 & 2019 Tesla Model 3
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
Craigslist: Xm5000Li Electric Motorcycle

DeaneG
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 594

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:50 pm

I had a smartmeter with PV briefly before they yanked it to install a TOU meter. The smartmeter was perfectly capable of recording negative energy consumption for each hourly interval. But the backoffice software interpreted negative consumption over each hour period as "zero".
White SL w/L3, 3kWDC Solar PV

Nekota
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2182

Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:07 am

DeaneG wrote:I had a smartmeter with PV briefly before they yanked it to install a TOU meter. The smartmeter was perfectly capable of recording negative energy consumption for each hourly interval. But the backoffice software interpreted negative consumption over each hour period as "zero".
Thanks for that and I stand corrected and will update my neighbor as well. PG&E provides data access and when I first converted to E9A the data stream vanished for a few months and recently became available again so things are getting better on the PG&E data side.
Res 20Apr2010 / Ordered 27Sep2010 / Delivered 12May2011

PV System

linkim

Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:45 pm

I have some further information on DeaneG's original post on this thread. I also live in Cupertino and talked to the PGE rep about my EV today. Regarding the issue of highest density EV market. He said that the DeAnza Division (Cupertino/part of SJ/Los Altos/Los Altos Hills) had the highest number of EVs of all the PGE divisions. Also, the DeAnza Division is one of the smallest. So, I guess we have the largest number of EV/area in the PGE territory.
LEAF SL + QC
Reserved: 4/20/10
Received: April 19, 1 year after reservation

Return to “Utilities”