Lindabyb
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 0610

E-1 vs E9a I'm so confused

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:44 pm

I've gone through this whole thread and am still confused. I got my Leaf about 6 weeks ago and am still trying to figure out if I should change to the E9a plan. We use a ton of electricity between airconditioning and pool pumps and are way in the upper tier even before the Leaf. PG&E did a rate analysis that said, without the Leaf, E-1 is $20/yr better than E-6. When I asked about E-9 they said they couldn't calculate that for me. We don't have solar (except for our pool) and won't get it because there is too much shade. (We've had 3 companies come out and try and get it to work for us.) So how do I determine if I stay on E-1 or switch to E-9a?
Linda, Lafayette, CA, white 2011 SL, bought out a lease thru Craigslist

DeaneG
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 594

Re: E-1 vs E9a I'm so confused

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:13 pm

Without knowing your hourly energy consumption for a whole year, you can't really tell what E9 will do to/for you.

But if you need a lot of summer A/C, and don't have solar, I'd skip E9A, as its odds are not good for you. The only way you'd be sure to come out ahead would be to operate your pool pump and A/C only after midnight in the summer.

Winter E9A rates are lower in general than E1, but in the summer the opposite is true. PG&E won't let you switch back and forth every six months, to avoid "rate optimization" by us consumers.
White SL w/L3, 3kWDC Solar PV

asinclair
Delivery Date: 05 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 000302

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Linda:

I have to agree. I do not have solar or a/c on our house and I opted for E-9a (one meter - whole house). It works for us because we have no kids and are gone most weekdays during the peak hours.

We also have a pool with two pumps (filter and booster for the pool cleaner), but we changed them to run from 12 midnight - 6am each night. We also charge the Leaf at the same time.

For us, because we don't use much electricity during the peak times (mainly the work day times), our overall bill is almost the same as it was before we bought the Leaf.

It doesn't sound like that would work for your situation, and would likely cost you more.

Andrew
Leaf SOLD 2/2015, now driving Mercedes B Class
Cayenne Red 2011 Leaf SV, no QC, purchased
As of 2/5/2015: [66,000 miles] [10 bars]
Tires replaced at 30,000 miles with Michelin MXV4's (much better handling, slight reduction in range)

DougMarker
Delivery Date: 0- 8-2011

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:34 pm

DeaneG,
EEk! I switched to E-9 in November and I am saving about $60/month. I saw the summer rates, but didn't see the part where you couldn't switch rates "every six months". Where is this written? I need to read the fine print to look for loopholes!

waitingforaleaf
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2011

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:43 pm

Deane's correct in assessing that your energy consumption data is needed to figure out which PG&E Electric Schedule would work out best for you. Based upon your statement about using "a ton of electricity between airconditioning and pool pumps" and already being on the upper tiers before the Leaf, my suggestion would actually be to look into E-9B (installing a second meter for your vehicle charging only). While that electric schedule will likely be subject to substantial changes in the near future, off-peak charging of the Leaf on a separate meter would still likely save you money in the long run (though that also depends upon how many miles you drive on average). Installation costs for the second meter tend to be high at the moment (AFAIK it generally ranges from $1500-3500 so the payoff may take awhile).

I do have a few spreadsheets you could play around with if you'd like to calculate out which rate works best for you. You'll have to do your own homework, unfortunately. I did not convert these files to be compliant with Google Docs, so you may need to download them to your computer before using the files. The first link below is PG&E's own calculator for figuring out which rate schedule will work for you (it's a bit outdated and makes certain assumptions that are likely untrue, such as equal household power usage throughout the day). The second link is one that I've been modifying and may also have certain inaccuracies, particularly with the solar NEM calculations as I haven't actually touched or corrected any of those. Nonetheless, the second sheet has much more options and allows you to modify the hourly use schedule which I find vital in TOU calculations. Based upon your A/C usage, you will likely have to significantly change the summer usage schedule on the second spreadsheet should you use it (as I have it preset for relatively minimal usage based upon my own usage patterns).

PG&E Estimator:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-NyRY ... aXZaS1Ffdw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alternative Estimator:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-NyRY ... Rll3UEI5QQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
12 bars : 20000 miles : 59.1 AHr: 23 months as of July. 2013

Lindabyb

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:46 pm

Yes I have two teenage boys and I work out of the house. It's sounding as if I should leave it on the E-1. How do you get hourly breakdowns? The PG&E rep wasn't too forthcoming. Thanks.

waitingforaleaf

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Lindabyb wrote:Yes I have two teenage boys and I work out of the house. It's sounding as if I should leave it on the E-1. How do you get hourly breakdowns? The PG&E rep wasn't too forthcoming. Thanks.
If you have a SmartMeter, then you can see and export your hourly usage data from PG&E's My Energy webpage. Unfortunately, I believe they are still having issues putting up data for solar users. Not so sure if they've rectified that issue yet or not. Only way to be sure is to check. :)

Lindabyb

Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:33 pm

I can see a graph showing my hourly useage for a particular day.I can't figure out how to download the info. A few years back it was easy. Do you know how to download it? I'd love to get it for the year and then I can do my own rate analysis.

waitingforaleaf

Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:38 pm

They hid it under a small green button on the lower right corner under export your data where you are currently seeing usage info. It should let you export specified time periods as a zip file with 2 .csv spreadsheets inside.

Lindabyb

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Thank you. I somehow missed that button. It would have been nice if the PG&E rep told me.

Return to “Utilities”