planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Re: E-1 vs E9a I'm so confused

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:18 pm

DougMarker wrote:EEk! I switched to E-9 in November and I am saving about $60/month. I saw the summer rates, but didn't see the part where you couldn't switch rates "every six months". Where is this written? I need to read the fine print to look for loopholes!
Like Deane, I believe this is true, but I don't know where it is documented. It does seem like a reasonable restriction to keep people from gaming the system. My memory may be faulty, but it seems as if I was told when I signed up for E6 that I was required to stay on that schedule for at least a year.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

Spies
Delivery Date: 10 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0255

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:10 pm

planet4ever wrote:Like Deane, I believe this is true, but I don't know where it is documented.
From http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_RULES_12.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C. CHANGING RATE SCHEDULES
Customers may request one rate schedule change in any twelve-month period.
Green Honda EV Plus 02/1998-12/2003 plate "ZERO CO2" rip, Aptera 2e #726 canceled
Blue Nissan Leaf SL loaded reserved 04/20/2010 ordered 08/31/2010 EVSE Blink #182
CARWINGS Nickname Theres233, should be Spies

oakwcj
Delivery Date: 19 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2441

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:36 am

To complicate matters further, PG&E has a pending rate increase request which the CPUC has put in regulatory limbo. If it is approved in anything like its current form, both flavors of E-9 would become significantly more expensive for most customers.
Cayenne Red SL-e
Blink Installed 6/23/11

DeaneG
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 594

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:03 pm

oakwcj wrote:...If it is approved in anything like its current form, both flavors of E-9 would become significantly more expensive for most customers.
And it'd probably be back to E1 for me, charging any time I felt like it.

Just now thinking about it, while you can't rate-skim by changing tariff plans every 6 months, you might be able to change plans every 18 months and get some cost benefit.
White SL w/L3, 3kWDC Solar PV

Lindabyb
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 0610

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:16 pm

So it seems, until I do more analysis, that I either stay on E-1 or put in a second meter. If I put in a second meter, can the first one be for the house on E-1 and the second be for the Leaf and pool pumps on the E-9b to get the tou benefits. My husband is an electrician and says we shouldn't need trenching.
Linda, Lafayette, CA, white 2011 SL, bought out a lease thru Craigslist

waitingforaleaf
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2011

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:03 pm

If you do decide to put in a second meter, then the house and the pool pumps stay on E-1, and the second meter is exclusively used for measuring vehicle electricity usage. As mentioned earlier, the current pricing on E-9B is subject to change should the CPUC approve PG&E's Advice Letter 3910-E, which affects both E-9A and E-9B pricing.

Personally, I believe that flat-rate pricing for E-9b will likely get passed in such a manner that its prices will go up. The main "battle" is being fought is based around the proposed changes to E-9A, where a flat rate plan would lead to substantial increases on customers who overall use less electricity (e.g. an estimated 80% increase on my E-9A electricity bill, which would effectively make E-1 cheaper).

While there has been some suggestions to "grandfather" current E-9 customers, that outcome is certainly not guaranteed. Whether or not it's worth risking a potentially expensive second meter installation is a decision that must take these uncertainties into account. Since your husband is an electrician, he may be able to do the required labor at a much cheaper rate than hired labor so that will also make a big difference in calculations.

Keep us posted on what you've calculated out. I'm fairly interested in the outcome. :)

edit: I suppose submetering (or subtractive metering) should be mentioned as a potential alternative to second meter installation, but the rules for its implementation remain even more unsettled than E-9 pricing. I doubt that it will be implemented any time this year, but I'm sure someone more involved can chime in if they have any more info on that front...
12 bars : 20000 miles : 59.1 AHr: 23 months as of July. 2013

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:00 am

Lindabyb wrote:So it seems, until I do more analysis, that I either stay on E-1 or put in a second meter. If I put in a second meter, can the first one be for the house on E-1 and the second be for the Leaf and pool pumps on the E-9b to get the tou benefits. My husband is an electrician and says we shouldn't need trenching.
Your last statement seems to imply that your husband believes the wires coming into the house are adequate to support both meters. If that is true, and you don't have to pay an electrician <grin>, setting up E-9b should not be too expensive. (Well, unless you live some place like San Francisco where you couldn't do it at all without bribing someone. :lol: ) This could change the balance, though as waitingforaleaf just said, you can't put your pool on the second meter, and we don't know what is going to happen with PG&E's rate application.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

Return to “Utilities”