dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Re: Colorado Electric Vehicle Fast-Charging Corridors

Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:31 am

This isn't DCFC but might be of interest because of the location of the Level 2 charge stations:

All state parks in Colorado will get electric vehicle charging stations in deal with EV maker Rivian

The downside of having a small number of Level 2 (J1772) charge stations at each park is that they will likely be in use for a long time and may not be available when needed.

I prefer to reserve campsites with RV pedestals at parks that have camping. That way I know that my campsite will be there waiting for me when I arrive. Over the last couple of years I have camped at seven different Colorado State Parks (and three Arizona State Parks just last week). I plan to visit an eighth next month: Yampa River State Park near Hayden. I always travel with my "Mobile Connector" as well as 14-50 and TT-30 adapters, for use at campground RV pedestals. I've also camped in my Model S at state parks in Utah, Oregon, Wyoming, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Iowa and Missouri. I prefer state parks to commercial RV parks because the campsites tend to be nicer and more spacious.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!

salyavin
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2019
Leaf Number: 318726

Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:49 am

I had heard this but I wonder do you know what happens to the chargepoints in state parks like Staunton, Cherry Creek, and Chatfield?

I too camp and charge at RV pedestals. I have not yet run into a full l2 at a state park or even places like the Mountain Village parking garage for the lift, Ridgway park (the town park not the state park though I have charged while camping at that state park). This also applies to DCFC with just a couple ports like Delta or Chargepoints around the state. I am sure it will be a problem soon with the increasing number of EVs but so far I have always got a charge where I needed it. Has this happened to you yet?

dgpcolorado

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:06 pm

salyavin wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:49 am
I had heard this but I wonder do you know what happens to the chargepoints in state parks like Staunton, Cherry Creek, and Chatfield?

I too camp and charge at RV pedestals. I have not yet run into a full l2 at a state park or even places like the Mountain Village parking garage for the lift, Ridgway park (the town park not the state park though I have charged while camping at that state park). This also applies to DCFC with just a couple ports like Delta or Chargepoints around the state. I am sure it will be a problem soon with the increasing number of EVs but so far I have always got a charge where I needed it. Has this happened to you yet?
I have occasionally come across full L2 installations, for example, all four 7 kW sites in Montrose (Centennial Plaza and the hospital) as well as both in Ridgway, although it is still rare.

Since my L2 charging is mostly discretionary it isn't usually a concern. However, add more EVs, plus knowledge that all parks have L2 charge sites, and I can see all the charge positions being taken in the future. One advantage to Chargepoint installations is that their website shows which ones are available before you get there. Will Rivian do something similar at the state park L2s? If so, it would help.

salyavin

Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:05 pm

Before the recent DCFC chargers in Montrose and a few others I depended on l2 in Ridgway and other locations (Mountain Village too nearby) to be able to get to where I was going. Even this time last year that was the case. Salida, Montrose and others opening really opened things up. These last 12 months of DCFC installs have really helped inside Colorado. Had to limp on l2 like that lizard park at Great Sand Dunes too. Salida helps. It's amazing to watch the change.

I agree that it would be nice if Rivian's L2 chargers were in an app that showed status. Ridgway was I forgot the brand but basically like a home charger so no way to know in advance.

dgpcolorado

Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:15 am

salyavin wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:05 pm
Before the recent DCFC chargers in Montrose and a few others I depended on l2 in Ridgway and other locations (Mountain Village too nearby) to be able to get to where I was going. Even this time last year that was the case. Salida, Montrose and others opening really opened things up. These last 12 months of DCFC installs have really helped inside Colorado. Had to limp on l2 like that lizard park at Great Sand Dunes too. Salida helps. It's amazing to watch the change.

I agree that it would be nice if Rivian's L2 chargers were in an app that showed status. Ridgway was I forgot the brand but basically like a home charger so no way to know in advance.
The Ridgway L2 public charge station is a pair of AeroVironment EVSEs that run at 8 kW, for those cars that can take that. Saw a LEAF there early yesterday morning.

Most of the other L2 installations in the area, other than Tesla Destination Charging, tend to be 7 kW; the ones in Montrose at Centennial Plaza and the Hospital, for example. The ones at the Montrose Rec Center are a painfully slow 4 kW.

Those free Level 2 public charge station installations were 80% supported by state grants. The state grant fund, in turn, was paid for by the extra $50 annual registration fee charged to plug-in cars — $30 to roads and $20 to support charging infrastructure.

With the increasing numbers of DCFC locations, those old L2 public charge stations will be left for local charging and road trips will be supported by DCFC, assuming that one is willing to pay the often high cost.

salyavin

Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:04 am

For now I will (and have) paid it, the l2 and RV plug method takes too much time unless I am staying in the area. I don't care for the high price, it will put off potential EV drivers as it costs a lot more than gas, they don't think about how much they save by charging at home for 90% of their daily driving. Of course if someone else ever builds a cheaper charger in the area no one will use these chargers, we are still in early days. I am just happy how much easier it has become to travel in an EV over the last 2 years.

dgpcolorado

Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:47 am

salyavin wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:04 am
For now I will (and have) paid it, the l2 and RV plug method takes too much time unless I am staying in the area. I don't care for the high price, it will put off potential EV drivers as it costs a lot more than gas, they don't think about how much they save by charging at home for 90% of their daily driving. Of course if someone else ever builds a cheaper charger in the area no one will use these chargers, we are still in early days. I am just happy how much easier it has become to travel in an EV over the last 2 years.
Yes! Road-tripping in a Tesla has been routine for years but with the increasing coverage of these new CCS/Chademo DCFC stations, it is now possible for many other kinds of EVs to do road trips.

I do wish that more of these new DCFC stations would use pricing like the one at the Rifle CO Kum & Go store: 27¢/kWh with no time charge. That's reasonable.

dgpcolorado

Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:28 pm

Construction has begun on a possible Chargepoint DCFC station at the Kum & Go in Craig CO, adjacent to the existing Tesla Supercharger Station.

The construction pictures posted in the TMC Craig thread show an equipment packing slip with an El Paso TX address that is the location of Schneider Electric. I don't know if Schneider Electric (a longtime maker of EVSEs, although my information is that they have left the L2 charging business) is a supplier of DCFC equipment for Chargepoint, although it appears likely. Perhaps someone here knows?

GRA

Sat May 01, 2021 12:49 am

^^^ Googling "Chargepoint Schneider" brought up a news release from May 5, 2014, titled:
Schneider Electric and ChargePoint Partner to Launch New EVlink™ Cloud Connected Charging Stations with Comprehensive Services

I can't provide a link for some reason.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sat May 01, 2021 1:30 am

Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”