GCC: DESTEN introduces 900 kW fast charger, EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211018-desten.html

China-based DESTEN, an ultra-fast charging battery pack and solution provider, has developed an ultra-fast charging solution alongside a DESTEN-designed and -engineered electric car which can charge from 0% to 80% state of charge in 4 minutes and 40 seconds.

DESTEN introduced the technology in Jakarta, and plans to showcase these innovations in a global roadshow starting in Asia, then The Middle East, Europe, and North America.

DESTEN’s ultra-fast charging solutions enable drivers to charge an electric car as quickly as refueling a traditional combustion engine-powered car. DESTEN said its ultra-fast charging makes charging more accessible for EV drivers in urban and high-density areas, as well as reducing the total number of charging systems required to service EV charging demand.

DESTEN’s ultra-fast charging capability is the result of its discoveries in materials and cell structures, featuring novel chemical formulations produced on a custom manufacturing line. DESTEN says the cell can achieve 3,000 cycles and more than 1.5 million kilometers of total driving range.

Fast charging usually entails high levels of heat build-up within batteries. Despite ultra-fast charging speeds, DESTEN batteries retain high thermal stability, remaining cool throughout operation. The batteries are also certified by external testing organizations to maintain temperatures of less than 15 degrees Centigrade above ambient temperatures during operation.

Unlike other batteries, DESTEN battery cells do not require water cooling. This reduces costs and battery cooling systems’ weight, resulting in energy and cost savings.

DESTEN’s ultra-fast charging cells also allow for much-improved energy recuperation from driving. This creates the opportunity to design smaller battery packs for electric vehicles which cost less, making EVs more affordable.

With UN 38.3 certification, the battery has passed all safety tests, making it an ideal technology for automotive-grade battery solutions. . . .

If these claims prove true (a huuuuuge if) and these batteries can be made affordable, this could be a game changer. I look forward to some independent testing. There's also the issue of electricity cost when charging - you'd pretty much have to have some kind of storage or get killed by demand charges.

If the blurb had said that the pack doubles as a COKE machine, I bet GRA would have bolded that too

Do you have any posting persona other than snark? How about providing some useful content?

Do you disagree that the bolded charging speeds, if achievable (safely over the long term), would be a game changer for BEVs, eliminating one of their major disadvantages vis-a-vis competing techs, and that the other bolded text are also in areas that represent significant improvements over current capabilities? This IEVS article has a few more details:
. . . Desten's website shows a 19 Ah cell spec with energy density above 160 Wh/kg and 350 Wh/l, which indicates that those are high-power cells, but not really high-energy dense cells. They are actually below LFP.

Maybe there will be some gains from a simple battery pack/lack of cooling, but overall, it might be heavy - a 75 kWh battery would require some 468 kg of battery cells (plus everything else in the battery pack, like cables, electronics, modules, enclosure).

The second question is the cost, as the fast charging LTP batteries, often used in electric buses - as far as we know - have usually been costly (per kWh unit).

Cell specs:

Cell Capacity: 19 Ah
Energy Density (Volumetric): 350 Wh/L
Specific Energy - (Gravimetric): >160 Wh/Kg
Specific Power: 1600 W/Kg
Max Charge Rate / Discharge Rate: 10C
Temperature Change During Charging: <15 deg. C
fast charging from 0 to 80% in 4 minutes and 40 seconds
Charge Cycles (100% DoD): >3,000. . . .

https://insideevs.com/news/541512/desten-teases-ultrafast-charging-battery/

I'm skeptical of any claims of major breakthroughs in what we know are very difficult areas, and we've seen lots of other companies crash and burn after making such announcements, but I'll follow this on the off-chance that it proves out.

jlv said:
GRA said:
How about providing some useful content?
Yes, please. IMHO, this applies to posts linking GCC articles written up about someone's press release.

And those press releases constitute on-topic content, providing relevant information, no? Whether anyone chooses to comment on them is up to them, just as it's up to them to decide whether or not to read the posts in the first place.

I comment when I have something specific to say about the article; if not, I'm still putting info out there for anyone to make use of as they wish. ISTM sharing information is the purpose of a forum such as this one, and as I have more time than many to monitor other sites, I choose to filter and condense that info and share what I find.

Back