IEVS: Tesla CCS1 Adapter Tests Reveals Real Charging Power Levels The adapter was tested with a few models and at severa

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Tesla CCS1 Adapter Tests Reveals Real Charging Power Levels
The adapter was tested with a few models and at several chargers.

https://insideevs.com/news/543375/tesla-ccs1-adapter-tests-power/

The CCS Combo 1 adapter for Tesla's proprietary charging standard was first launched in South Korea (but it is coming to North America as well) and was recently tested with a few Teslas and several chargers.

According to the specs, the adapter works at up to 500 V and up to 300 A (theoretically up to 150 kW, but we guessed that in the real world it will be 100-120 kW, especially considering the pack's voltage).

According to the video, the 2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range was able to charge at up to 108 kW at a high-power charger. This is the highest registered value, although it could be slightly different depending on a certain State of Charge (SOC) level or battery temperature, we guess.

Using a 100 kWh charger, the car was able to take up to 74 kW, while the basic "50" kW chargers were good for about 40 kW.

2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range charging test:

Charger #1 (400 V, 120 A, 48 kW) result: 41 kW
Charger #2 (400 V, 120 A, 48 kW) result: 38 kW
Charger #3 (450 V, 110 A, 50 kW) result: 40 kW
Charger #4 (500 V, 200 A, 100 kW) result: 74 kW
Charger #5 (1000 V, 350 A, 350 kW) result: 108 kW. . . .

Finally, the third car - the entry-level Tesla Model 3 - was able to get up to 66 kW at a 200 kW charger, and 47 kW at a 100 kW charger. Lower charging power levels are completely normal, as the battery pack is noticeably smaller than in the Long Range version.

2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+ charging test:

Charger #7 (500 V, 200 A, 100 kW) result: 47 kW
Charger #8 (1000 V, 200 A, 200 kW) result: 66 kW

All the 500V/300Amp ("150 kW") CCS1 charging stations should provide ~ 110 kW sustained in the LR Teslas

It is a fantastic adapter.

LeftieBiker said:
Maybe. Sometimes, though, the Apogee of Greatness for new hardware occurs just before it is actually made available and goes into use.
That is a good tagline for the LEAF

So the adapter is voltage and amp limited? You won't be able to pull up to a 350 kW EA station and hit your max charge on your Tesla.... still great for when you need it.

So this makes me wonder, will the reverse adapter have the same issue? That is, when Elon opens up the Tesla network, and you pull your Etron into a V3, what will the Tesla to CCS adapter be able to do? Would one assume the same 500 V and 300 Amps?

danrjones said:
So the adapter is voltage and amp limited?
Not Volt limited for any Tesla on the roads today. Amp limited to 300 A. I'm actually surprised it can go that high and not overheat so I expect ANY adapter to find 300 Amps a difficult threshold to exceed.

Current cell chemistry and pack design in the Tesla is ~ limited to 1.5C average sustained charging from 20 - 80% SoC. This adapter manages about 1.37C in the 80 kWh Tesla EVs. No complaints here !

If you are wondering how a '800v' Ioniq or Taycan would fare at a Supercharger with an adapter of the same specs as this one, the answer is about the same because Superchargers are engineered for '400V' Tesla cars. I suppose it is possible (although I'm far from sure) that the Supercharger could output up to 500V so MAYBE up to 150 kW ... but the sustained average C rate will limit you soon enough. This is what we see with V3 Superchargers: the higher the peak rate, the sooner and more rapid the Amp taper. Very gratifying when I pull into a Supercharger with a low SoC and only want 50 miles of charge to reach my destination but pretty much negligible improvement in charging time if I am charging past 70% SoC

----
The funny thing is, I now have access to a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. No matter, it was cheap and I'm glad to have an extra option in my charging toolkit even if I never use it (which seems likely.)

alozzy said:
This post should be moved to the "other EVs" sub forum (https://mynissanleaf.com/viewforum.php?f=10)

I'm not sure I agree. It's also about other EVs charging on the Tesla network. If another Mod wants to move it, though, I'm ok with that.

LeftieBiker said:
I'm not sure I agree. It's also about other EVs charging on the Tesla network.

True, but the article makes no mention of CHADEMO, so it's not really relevant to LEAF owners. That sub-forum is for all non LEAF EVs, not just Telsas.

alozzy said:
LeftieBiker said:
I'm not sure I agree. It's also about other EVs charging on the Tesla network.

True, but the article makes no mention of CHADEMO, so it's not really relevant to LEAF owners. That sub-forum is for all non LEAF EVs, not just Telsas.

One connection to LEAF owners: the CHAdeMO network is losing a paying customer. I'm hard pressed to imagine a 3rd party DC FC vendor installing new CHAdeMO

Back