Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GCC:
Electrify America reaches 30MW in installed battery energy storage at 140 DC-fast charging stations across the US; behind-the-meter grid services

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/12/20211203-ea.html

Electrify America has installed onsite, behind-the-meter battery energy storage systems (BESS) at more than 140 ultra-fast DC charging stations around the country, including more than 90 installations in California. These systems in total have more than 30 megawatts (MW) of energy storage capacity, representing the largest roll-out of onsite behind-the-meter battery energy storage coupled with DC Fast Charging in North America, the company said. . . .

Beyond this installed energy storage portfolio, Electrify America is working on certification and initial roll-out of its next generation of onsite behind-the-meter battery energy storage early next year that will support higher peak power or demand mitigation capability in approximately the same footprint. . . .

With the help of Olivine, Electrify America is driving revenue from behind-the-meter services for its onsite battery energy storage assets, delivering consistent pricing to its customers and offering greater reliability than fluctuating gas prices.

Behind-the-meter services such as demand response help support vehicle-grid integration by reducing the need for more costly and often more polluting peaking power plants. . . .

To date, Electrify America’s behind-the-meter energy storage has already participated in more than 190 demand response market events via Olivine in the California Independent System Operator’s wholesale energy market, CAISO—shifting over 125 MWh of on-peak energy to lower carbon intensity off-peak hours creating the largest Virtual Power Plant (VPP) offering in CAISO backed by DC fast charging coupled with behind-the-meter energy storage.

On Plugshare Essex CA is *still* coming soon... that's been that way forever and is needed for an I-40 trip. I wonder what's going on with that station.

I probably skimmed or didn't read https://electrek.co/2019/11/26/interview-electrify-america-chargers/ from Nov 2019 but this quote stood out to me that I wasn't aware of and is yet another read to use their app (or better yet, charge during free juice time when app nor CC are needed :)).

One of the biggest problems is faulty credit-card readers. Not only do many of Electrify America’s stations have connectivity problems, but even when a connection is made, a charging session can be dropped halfway through. That’s because the financial session is open until a final payment amount is determined. The connection gets lost in the middle, causing the driver to start all over again. Using the Electrify America app solves the problem.

cwerdna said:
I probably skimmed or didn't read https://electrek.co/2019/11/26/interview-electrify-america-chargers/ from Nov 2019 but this quote stood out to me that I wasn't aware of and is yet another read to use their app (or better yet, charge during free juice time when app nor CC are needed :)).

One of the biggest problems is faulty credit-card readers. Not only do many of Electrify America’s stations have connectivity problems, but even when a connection is made, a charging session can be dropped halfway through. That’s because the financial session is open until a final payment amount is determined. The connection gets lost in the middle, causing the driver to start all over again. Using the Electrify America app solves the problem.

My "no scan" session at EA Lacey Walmart was "auto shutdown'd" at 65% SOC so I had to unplug and plug back in to restart. I don't know if it was a connectivity issue as I heard the charger disconnect and saw the shut down screen on the station but don't know if that is just SOP for any power down situation?

Did anyone else notice EA was adding some coverings in some sites. This one was a revamp of the needles, CA site. I really hope they do this at most or all of their sites.

On a less happy note, their site at Essex has been sitting unopened for more than a year! What the ???

845894.jpg

danrjones said:
Did anyone else notice EA was adding some coverings in some sites. This one was a revamp of the needles, CA site. I really hope they do this at most or all of their sites.
Nope. During usage of at least 2 EA sites on my So Cal road trip + a whole ton of others (many that I've never been to) in the past few weeks thanks to EA's free juice, I've not noticed any covering at any of them.

Maybe in your neck of the woods it's hot and they're running into the same probs I've seen at EA BTC Power chargers near home: https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/more-frustration-with-electrify-america.35495/page-4#post-657664.

Also, the Madera (non-EA) free Caltrans DC FC (maybe both of them) at https://www.plugshare.com/location/303845 had huge black dead circles on its LCD like https://www.plugshare.com/location/303855. I wouldn't be surprised if the heat damaged the displays. These units are also from BTC Power, but obviously not the type that EA uses. I didn't use Kettleman City DC FC but might've seen this prob on at least 1 other Caltrans DC FC site besides Madera.

The new Valley Fair site in Santa Clara, CA (https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/161) does have a covering but I haven't been over there since it's been installed. I posted about that site on the previous page. Before COVID, I used to sometimes go to that mall on weekends and after work, even though it's not at all in the direction of home.

Maybe they're being installed not only for user comfort but also to help better protect the equipment and keep the displays usable?

Been very busy for the past month or so (in no particular order: work, Steph Curry approaching/passing Ray Allen, skiing, finding a booster, more skiing, tweaked my back and was laid up, house/pet sitting etc. etc.) and offline, but hope to start catching up.

EA has updated their station count, 710 Open/114 Coming Soon, an increase of 10 open since last month. One of the sites that opened was Wall, SD on I-90, although you can't currently get there from any other EA site.

There are several new Coming Soon sites in the west that will open up new areas/routes or provide useful infill:

In California, Morro Bay just south of the S.R. 1/41 Jct., plus Kettleman City infill on I-5 @ S.R. 41, between Coalinga and Lost Hills. There's also a coming soon site in Santa Cruz, which will add to the long-delayed site in Watsonville. Los Alamos will be infill on U.S. 101 between open sites at Santa Maria and Solvang. There's a new Coming Soon site in Santa Barbara to go with the one in Goleta, plus coming soon sites in Ventura and Oxnard.

Wyoming has three new coming soon sites to add to the one in Gillette, in Evanston and Rawlins on I-80, They'll need at least one infill site between them, which would have to be in Rock Springs for spacing if there's only one. Th other new coming soon site will be Casper on I-25.

North Dakota has a site in Rapid City on I-90, and will need at least one between that and Gillette to stay under the 120 mile max. spacing. I'm guessing either Sundance or Spearfish.

Minnesota has two sites at Albert Lea and Worthington, also I-90.

Wisconsin has a coming soon site in Green Bay, so Packers/Bears fans will be able to attend away games more easily ;)

Arizona has a site at Show Low.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Any of the new ones have a Chademo? Green Bay has only Tesla chargers currently.

No idea as "Coming soon" sites never list what they'll have, but I'd guess not, as starting this year EA no longer has to provide them.

They need one in Wausau as well, so Packers/Vikings fans can drive to away games the same as Packers/Bears fans will be able to (but see the ID.4 topic for northern winter range issues).

Wow, if https://www.plugshare.com/location/355949 at UC Davis is correct, then this will be an EA site that actually has an even ratio of CHAdeMO vs. CCS. It supposedly is a lone charger with 1 CCS and 1 CHAdeMO.

cwerdna said:
Wow, if https://www.plugshare.com/location/355949 at UC Davis is correct, then this will be an EA site that actually has an even ratio of CHAdeMO vs. CCS. It supposedly is a lone charger with 1 CCS and 1 CHAdeMO.

Nope. Look at the very first photo:

859035.jpg

Subsequent pics show this is the only charger there. For another new 'network', see the "Montana Dept. of Environmental Quality " topic:
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=33008

(Facepalm) Argh. You are right. So it's an example of only 2 CCS at a lone EA charger. The Plugshare entry was wrong. :(

I wonder if CARB is ok w/this?

cwerdna said:
(Facepalm) Argh. You are right. So it's an example of only 2 CCS at a lone EA charger. The Plugshare entry was wrong. :(

App shows one CCS-Chademo unit and two 150kW CCS dual units, and one 150kW unit CCS single cable.

Here are the other stations for this location. I think.:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Electrify+America+Charging+Station/@38.5457443,-121.7421605,3a,90y,169.56h,79.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sljFzBeNBCIq1tLo_gnCjdw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m15!1m7!3m6!1s0x80852974c9409f7b:0x509c85b925ac2dd6!2s325+E+St,+Davis,+CA+95616!3b1!8m2!3d38.545081!4d-121.7419226!3m6!1s0x80852974d3e6fcbb:0x5e6664cbf075ddb1!8m2!3d38.5456691!4d-121.7420192!14m1!1BCgIgARICCAI

I've never seen a split like this.

edit. No, I'm wrong. there are four units at the google link above.

WetEV said:
cwerdna said:

App shows one CCS-Chademo unit and two 150kW CCS dual units, and one 150kW unit CCS single cable.

Here are the other stations for this location. I think.:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Electrify+America+Charging+Station/@38.5457443,-121.7421605,3a,90y,169.56h,79.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sljFzBeNBCIq1tLo_gnCjdw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m15!1m7!3m6!1s0x80852974c9409f7b:0x509c85b925ac2dd6!2s325+E+St,+Davis,+CA+95616!3b1!8m2!3d38.545081!4d-121.7419226!3m6!1s0x80852974d3e6fcbb:0x5e6664cbf075ddb1!8m2!3d38.5456691!4d-121.7420192!14m1!1BCgIgARICCAI

I've never seen a split like this.

edit. No, I'm wrong. there are four units at the google link above.

That's a different site. There are two EA stations in Davis: the one at BoA you link above, and the one at UC Davis, which cwerdna is referring to.

GRA said:
The Electrify America charging station at 7004 Market Place Drive, Goleta, California 93117 has opened.

And Essex CA still sits unopened. I swear its been like that for more than a year. Actually, the first photos were from Nov 2020.

What the Duck??

The Electrify America charging station has opened at 1465 MAIN ST, Watsonville, California 95076.

For those who don't know, Watsonville is on S.R. 1 between Santa Cruz and Monterey.

Re Essex/Fenner, I think Poulsbo, WA has been hanging fire about as long.

I have just joined this forum. We are on our third Leaf. Leased a 2011 then a 2015 and now have a 2019 (40 KW battery) which I plan on purchasing at end of lease. I thought I understood how fast charging worked but please someone explain this to me. We stopped at a 50 kWh Electrify America Fast Charger as it was 24 degrees out and needed to charge to get home and since the chargers were in a supermarket parking lot we started charging and went inside to do some shopping. When we came back to the car per the charging station we put 33 kWh into the battery at $.43 KWh for a cost of $14.19. But we started with 18 kWh or 45% of battery capacity. Based on my calculations the most we could have charged to full was 22 kWh's.

Is there that much transmission loss between the charging station and the battery? I could see 5 or 10% difference but it was more like 40%. The care wasn't even at 100% with 33 kWh of electricity that I paid for.

I'm no engineer. Could someone please explain the discrepancy.

Back