Nissan's included UK-13A "EVSE" (for UK)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

As soon as anybody (perhaps "across the pond") gets info, pictures, access to, pricing, or a link to order one of Nissan's Level 2 (220/240v) EVSEs that is (to be) included with the UK LEAFs, this is the place to "strut (post) your stuff". Thanks.

Apparently there is:
1. the "included" UK-13A plug-in model and
2. an optional UK-16A hard-wired model (see seperate thread)

Both to be available sometime.

Hi Gary. Well, it's possible that you may not get too many replies, because I don't think many people will be buying L2 EVSE's in the UK. The reason? As stated in a different thread, the standard UK mains supply socket is 240V providing a maximum current of 13A. This will enable the LEAF to be fully charged (from fully discharged) in 10 to 11 hours. Whereas, the L2 EVSE proposed for the UK, as I understand it, will have to be installed by a certified technician and will only increase the maximum current supplied to 16A - reducing the charging time to 8 hours. No details are yet available on the unit or installation costs, but I suspect not many people will pay the extra for just a couple of hours charging. Hope that this helps. Regards, Bob.

planet4ever said:
But Gary said included EVSE, i.e. the one that comes "free" with the car. He's calling it an L2 because it runs at 208-240v rather than the US L1 at 110-120v.
Nissan UK do not use the nomenclature 'L1' or 'L2' to describe the types of charging, simply refer to the 2 options for charging, hence some of the confusion! The first option is the cable connection which comes FREE with the car and which will plug into a UK's normal 230V 13A mains supply socket, which (apart from the voltage) I equated to your L1 connection. The other, which we have to PAY for and which I described, is a separate, wall-mounted box which will provide a 230V 16A supply to the LEAF. This is derived from the normal UK mains domestic supply which runs at 230V. Since Gary asked how much it was going to cost, I assumed he meant the latter option, which I thought was roughly equivalent to your 'L2', again, apart from the voltage. Where he used the word 'includes', I thought he meant including the UK - but I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time!
Hope this helps. Regards Bob

Pre-ordered LEAF, colour Blue, 1st September
(We cannot order until December)

planet4ever said:
But Gary said included EVSE, i.e. the one that comes "free" with the car. He's calling it an L2 because it runs at 208-240v rather than the US L1 at 110-120v.
Does the UK version have an evse module? or does it just plug in?

smkettner said:
planet4ever said:

As far as I know, UK Nissan do not use the terms 'EVSE', 'L1' or 'L2'. The UK Leaf will have, as part of the vehicle & included in the price, a bag containing a cable assembly (similar to your L1, but operating at 230V 13A) which can be plugged into ANY normal UK 3-pin 230V 13A socket. From empty to full would take 10 to 11 hours. So if you are visiting a friend, you can just plug it into their socket and top up the car. It's that simple. It will be interesting to see how long your friends remain friends - unless you can come to a reciprocal arrangement!! Regards Bob.

Thanks, Bob, for your detailed explanation.

So what we on this side of the pond are trying to figure out, how much does Nissan charge you for a replacement cable ? (The 13A "included" one). Let's say, yours was "stolen". ;)

blobm said:
smkettner said:
planet4ever said:

As far as I know, UK Nissan do not use the terms 'EVSE', 'L1' or 'L2'. The UK Leaf will have, as part of the vehicle & included in the price, a bag containing a cable assembly (similar to your L1, but operating at 230V 13A) which can be plugged into ANY normal UK 3-pin 230V 13A socket. From empty to full would take 10 to 11 hours. So if you are visiting a friend, you can just plug it into their socket and top up the car. It's that simple. It will be interesting to see how long your friends remain friends - unless you can come to a reciprocal arrangement!! Regards Bob.
OK, but is it just a cord or does it have the module in the cord like the US version?

smkettner said:
OK, but is it just a cord or does it have the module in the cord like the US version?
Bob will be the local UK authority on that ... but given everything we know ... a pilot signal is required. This implies the "module" is required too.

DeaneG said:
LEAFer said:
..Let's say, yours was "stolen". ;)

Bob, let's say it was stolen 12 times, with a reasonable markup for you, of course.

I have absolutely no idea how much it would cost to replace. If it was stolen once, I'd claim for its replacement under my house insurance! If it was stolen 12 times - I'd probably arrange for some wholesale trade discount......or move to a safer neighbourhood! Regards Bob

johnr said:
I'm guessing it's completely identical except for some of the guts.

Yes, I would agree with that. There has to be some device in-built in the cable assembly to identify that it is the UK equivalent of the L1 coupled to the common LEAF input socket rather than a UK 'L2' connection. Regards Bob.

blobm said:
I have absolutely no idea how much it would cost to replace. If it was stolen once, I'd claim for its replacement under my house insurance! If it was stolen 12 times - I'd probably arrange for some wholesale trade discount......or move to a safer neighbourhood! Regards Bob

I don't think you got the point - he is saying you can arrange to buy new cables to replace your "stolen" one and ship them state side for a tidy profit.

Would there be any issue with the fact that UK 240v is 50Hz whereas in the US 240v is 60Hz?

indyflick said:
Would there be any issue with the fact that UK 240v is 50Hz whereas in the US 240v is 60Hz?

The difference is even greater than that:

US - (2) 120V legs make up the 240V, plus a ground, sometimes a neutral (3 wire vs 4 wire)

UK - (1) 230V leg along with a "neutral", also a ground as well (3 wire)

So the 240V is arrived at by different methods, 1 pole of 230V or (2) poles of 120V

I was wanting to know more about the UK-13A "e-hose" contraption (230v 13amp device) that is included by Nissan with the LEAF.

I was unaware of the UK-16A unit (230v 16 amps) that you say will be sold there in the UK, but would like to know more about it as well.

In thinking about the possible adaption of the UK-13A unit to use as a "L2" EVSE in the USA, the 230 to 240 volts is not likely to make a difference.

The slightly different "source" of the two "power" wires is probably insignificant, but a "GFI" function might be implemented differently in the UK. The UK plug (into the wall) should have a 13A fuse in it, I believe.

The 50 to 60 cycles would only matter if the AC was used for timing the Control Pilot signal, which is possible, but not really likely.

So, after replacing the UK plug with a suitable USA 240v plug, would the UK-13A work in the USA as an inexpensive portable L2 EVSE?

As a "replacement" part, or "spare" e-hose, what will it cost to obtain a "UK-13A" from a dealer in the UK?

garygid said:
I was wanting to know more about the UK-13A "e-hose" contraption (230v 13amp device) that is included by Nissan with the LEAF.

I was unaware of the UK-16A unit (230v 16 amps) that you say will be sold there in the UK, but would like to know more about it as well.

In thinking about the possible adaption of the UK-13A unit to use as a "L2" EVSE in the USA, the 230 to 240 volts is not likely to make a difference.

The slightly different "source" of the two "power" wires is probably insignificant, but a "GFI" function might be implemented differently in the UK. The UK plug (into the wall) should have a 13A fuse in it, I believe.

The 50 to 60 cycles would only matter if the AC was used for timing the Control Pilot signal, which is possible, but not really likely.

So, after replacing the UK plug with a suitable USA 240v plug, would the UK-13A work in the USA as an inexpensive portable L2 EVSE?

As a "replacement" part, or "spare" e-hose, what will it cost to obtain a "UK-13A" from a dealer in the UK?

I've made some enquiries locally in UK and so far have been unable to get any info on the replacement cost (stolen or otherwise!!) of the L2 portable EVSE supplied with the UK LEAF. The LEAF is not due in the UK until March 2011, so info here is difficult to get. As soon as I get details of this 13A device or the 16A fixed version, I will pass it on on this thread. In the meantime, perhaps the following information might wet the appetite of your do-it-yourself enthusiasts: http://www.evdl.org/docs/j1772description.pdf . It's far from clear in a number of areas and some details seem to conflict, but it does give an indication of how the 230/240V J1772 EVSE works. Do you have details on the US L1 EVSE for comparison? Hope this is of interest. Sorry about my lack of knowledge earlier on concerning difference between L1 & L2!! Regards Bob

Back