User avatar
johnr
Posts: 884
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 2:08 pm
Delivery Date: 11 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2151
Location: Exeter, CA

Re: Nissan's included L2 EVSE (240v, for UK)

Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:43 pm

I'm guessing it's completely identical except for some of the guts.
My trip to Mineral King and the value of regen

Charging stations, electrical adapters, and portable CHAdeMO quick chargers

2011 upgrade: Fossil < Leaf. 2014 upgrade: Leaf < imiev. 2017 upgrade: imiev < tesla. Done upgrading.

blobm
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:49 am

Re: Nissan's included L2 EVSE (240v, for UK)

Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:11 pm

DeaneG wrote:
LEAFer wrote:..Let's say, yours was "stolen". ;)
Bob, let's say it was stolen 12 times, with a reasonable markup for you, of course.
I have absolutely no idea how much it would cost to replace. If it was stolen once, I'd claim for its replacement under my house insurance! If it was stolen 12 times - I'd probably arrange for some wholesale trade discount......or move to a safer neighbourhood! Regards Bob

blobm
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:49 am

Re: Nissan's included L2 EVSE (240v, for UK)

Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:29 pm

johnr wrote:I'm guessing it's completely identical except for some of the guts.
Yes, I would agree with that. There has to be some device in-built in the cable assembly to identify that it is the UK equivalent of the L1 coupled to the common LEAF input socket rather than a UK 'L2' connection. Regards Bob.

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11480
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Nissan's included L2 EVSE (240v, for UK)

Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:48 pm

blobm wrote:I have absolutely no idea how much it would cost to replace. If it was stolen once, I'd claim for its replacement under my house insurance! If it was stolen 12 times - I'd probably arrange for some wholesale trade discount......or move to a safer neighbourhood! Regards Bob
I don't think you got the point - he is saying you can arrange to buy new cables to replace your "stolen" one and ship them state side for a tidy profit.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

indyflick
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:18 am

Re: Nissan's included L2 EVSE (240v, for UK)

Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:46 pm

Would there be any issue with the fact that UK 240v is 50Hz whereas in the US 240v is 60Hz?

mitch672
Posts: 1956
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:10 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Nissan's included L2 EVSE (240v, for UK)

Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:51 pm

indyflick wrote:Would there be any issue with the fact that UK 240v is 50Hz whereas in the US 240v is 60Hz?
The difference is even greater than that:

US - (2) 120V legs make up the 240V, plus a ground, sometimes a neutral (3 wire vs 4 wire)

UK - (1) 230V leg along with a "neutral", also a ground as well (3 wire)

So the 240V is arrived at by different methods, 1 pole of 230V or (2) poles of 120V
2012 Advanced Plug in Prius (sold)
I Support OpenEVSE: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Fuelly page: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/mitch672/prius-plugin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tesla Model S 85KW Dolphin Grey VIN: 03245, delivered 1/17/2013

smkettner
Posts: 7380
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Nissan's included L2 EVSE (240v, for UK)

Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:09 pm

indyflick wrote:Would there be any issue with the fact that UK 240v is 50Hz whereas in the US 240v is 60Hz?
IMO, no Only if a motor was involved would it matter.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

User avatar
garygid
Gold Member
Posts: 12465
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:10 am
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855
Location: Laguna Hills, Orange Co, CA

Re: Nissan's included L2 EVSE (240v, for UK)

Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:33 pm

I was wanting to know more about the UK-13A "e-hose" contraption (230v 13amp device) that is included by Nissan with the LEAF.

I was unaware of the UK-16A unit (230v 16 amps) that you say will be sold there in the UK, but would like to know more about it as well.

In thinking about the possible adaption of the UK-13A unit to use as a "L2" EVSE in the USA, the 230 to 240 volts is not likely to make a difference.

The slightly different "source" of the two "power" wires is probably insignificant, but a "GFI" function might be implemented differently in the UK. The UK plug (into the wall) should have a 13A fuse in it, I believe.

The 50 to 60 cycles would only matter if the AC was used for timing the Control Pilot signal, which is possible, but not really likely.

So, after replacing the UK plug with a suitable USA 240v plug, would the UK-13A work in the USA as an inexpensive portable L2 EVSE?

As a "replacement" part, or "spare" e-hose, what will it cost to obtain a "UK-13A" from a dealer in the UK?
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius, now for sale
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2018 Tesla Model 3
2014 Tesla S, Model 3 in 2019
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

User avatar
garygid
Gold Member
Posts: 12465
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:10 am
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855
Location: Laguna Hills, Orange Co, CA

Re: Nissan's included UK-13A "EVSE" (for UK)

Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:46 am

Started seperate thread for the UK's optional UK-16A "EVSE" unit.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius, now for sale
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2018 Tesla Model 3
2014 Tesla S, Model 3 in 2019
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

blobm
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:49 am

Re: Nissan's included L2 EVSE (240v, for UK)

Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:29 am

garygid wrote:I was wanting to know more about the UK-13A "e-hose" contraption (230v 13amp device) that is included by Nissan with the LEAF.

I was unaware of the UK-16A unit (230v 16 amps) that you say will be sold there in the UK, but would like to know more about it as well.

In thinking about the possible adaption of the UK-13A unit to use as a "L2" EVSE in the USA, the 230 to 240 volts is not likely to make a difference.

The slightly different "source" of the two "power" wires is probably insignificant, but a "GFI" function might be implemented differently in the UK. The UK plug (into the wall) should have a 13A fuse in it, I believe.

The 50 to 60 cycles would only matter if the AC was used for timing the Control Pilot signal, which is possible, but not really likely.

So, after replacing the UK plug with a suitable USA 240v plug, would the UK-13A work in the USA as an inexpensive portable L2 EVSE?

As a "replacement" part, or "spare" e-hose, what will it cost to obtain a "UK-13A" from a dealer in the UK?
I've made some enquiries locally in UK and so far have been unable to get any info on the replacement cost (stolen or otherwise!!) of the L2 portable EVSE supplied with the UK LEAF. The LEAF is not due in the UK until March 2011, so info here is difficult to get. As soon as I get details of this 13A device or the 16A fixed version, I will pass it on on this thread. In the meantime, perhaps the following information might wet the appetite of your do-it-yourself enthusiasts: http://www.evdl.org/docs/j1772description.pdf . It's far from clear in a number of areas and some details seem to conflict, but it does give an indication of how the 230/240V J1772 EVSE works. Do you have details on the US L1 EVSE for comparison? Hope this is of interest. Sorry about my lack of knowledge earlier on concerning difference between L1 & L2!! Regards Bob

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”