Page 2 of 5

Re: Level 3 (public quick charge stations)

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:50 am
by Vincent
My company (Real AC Power) is working on a Mobile Level 3 charging truck.

The charger comes to you vs you making it to the charger. This would be great for AAA!

Great video of the system in action below:

http://www.realacpower.com/plugincarolina.html

Re: Level 3 (public quick charge stations)

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:45 am
by DaveinOlyWA
nice

Re: Level 3 (public quick charge stations)

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:59 pm
by KeiJidosha
Vincent wrote:These guys are working on a Mobile Level 3 charging truck.

The charger comes to you vs you making it to the charger. This would be great for AAA!

Great video of the system in action below:

http://www.realacpower.com/plugincarolina.html
Note: Big blue oil drums surrounding truck in the video. Props? Source of electricity? Both?

Re: Level 3 (public quick charge stations)

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:38 pm
by Vincent
KeiJidosha wrote:
Vincent wrote:These guys are working on a Mobile Level 3 charging truck.

The charger comes to you vs you making it to the charger. This would be great for AAA!

Great video of the system in action below:

http://www.realacpower.com/plugincarolina.html
Note: Big blue oil drums surrounding truck in the video. Props? Source of electricity? Both?

Props actually. This was shot at a BP gas station to unveil a Level 2 EV charging station. The drums represented the fuel savings tied to EV use and charging. The truck uses about 1 gallon of diesel fuel to provide a full Level 3 charge to a Level 3-capable EV.

Re: Level 3 (public quick charge stations)

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:46 pm
by abasile
Vincent wrote:The truck uses about 1 gallon of diesel fuel to provide a full Level 3 charge to a Level 3-capable EV.
Wow! That's much more efficient than a typical "range extender", such as the Chevy Volt has.

Re: Level 3 (public quick charge stations)

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:56 pm
by Vincent
abasile wrote:
Vincent wrote:The truck uses about 1 gallon of diesel fuel to provide a full Level 3 charge to a Level 3-capable EV.
Wow! That's much more efficient than a typical "range extender", such as the Chevy Volt has.
also takes about 20 minutes to provide a full Level 3 charge, when EV starting from empty.

Re: Level 3 (public quick charge stations)

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:54 pm
by DaveEV
Vincent wrote:The truck uses about 1 gallon of diesel fuel to provide a full Level 3 charge to a Level 3-capable EV.
That would seem to be impossible given that the most efficient generation plants are only about 60% efficient. Your typical generator is usually between 30-40% efficient. Given that a gallon of diesel has about the energy equivalent of 38 kWh of electricity, I'd expect it to take at least 2 gallons of diesel to charge a Leaf.

In other words - using diesel to run a generator to charge the Leaf should be very similar to to energy efficiency of your typical VW TDI.

Re: Level 3 (public quick charge stations)

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:16 pm
by Vincent
drees wrote:
Vincent wrote:The truck uses about 1 gallon of diesel fuel to provide a full Level 3 charge to a Level 3-capable EV.
That would seem to be impossible given that the most efficient generation plants are only about 60% efficient. Your typical generator is usually between 30-40% efficient. Given that a gallon of diesel has about the energy equivalent of 38 kWh of electricity, I'd expect it to take at least 2 gallons of diesel to charge a Leaf.

In other words - using diesel to run a generator to charge the Leaf should be very similar to to energy efficiency of your typical VW TDI.
The generator that powers the Level 3 charger is 95% efficient. It is fully integrated into the truck and uses the truck's engine to act as the power source for the Level 3 charger. The generator is a 60kW 3-phase unit. Note that the vehicle used to test the mobile application of the DC charger was the Mitsubishi iMiev. Providing a full Level 3 charge (85% of full battery capacity) on the iMiev required 20 minutes and used one gallon of diesel.I know that the battery pack on the Leaf has a different capacity.

*In the interest of full-disclosure, I work for Real Power, the company that created the Mobile DC Charging prototype vehicle.

We have not had a chance or an opportunity to charge a Leaf as of yet. It will be interesting to obtain some data once we obtain a test vehicle.

P.S. If anyone is located in the Midwest and has a Leaf, we'd love to have an opportunity to charge one.

Just pm me.

Re: Level 3 (public quick charge stations)

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:31 pm
by DaveEV
Vincent wrote:The generator that powers the Level 3 charger is 95% efficient. It is fully integrated into the truck and uses the truck's engine to act as the power source for the Level 3 charger. The generator is a 60kW 3-phase unit. Note that the vehicle used to test the mobile application of the DC charger was the Mitsubishi iMiev. Providing a full Level 3 charge (85% of full battery capacity) on the iMiev required 20 minutes and used one gallon of diesel.I know that the battery pack on the Leaf has a different capacity.
There is no way you are converting 95% of the energy of a gallon of diesel into electricity (~38 kWh -> ~36 kWh.) for one reason alone - the truck's engine from which your generator draw's it's kinetic energy to convert to electricity is no more than 45% efficient at it's optimal loading point and most likely less than that since it's not optimized for power generation.

But for the sake of the argument let's assume it's 45% efficient so it's able to convert a gallon of diesel (38 kWh equivalent) into 17 kWh equivalent of kinetic energy. Then your generator which is 95% efficient is able to covert the 17 kWh into 16 kWh of electricity. (This still ignores any conversion losses of the DC quick charger itself which must convert the 3-phase AC to DC for the car - this should be 5% or less, though)

Still quite a bit short of a full charge for the Leaf, but enough to drive it about 50 miles or so - basically equivalent to the appx 50 mpg a TDI gets on the highway. Can't complain about that if you are stranded and need a mobile quick charge to get you to the nearest fixed charging point, though.

It would be interesting to see the official specs, though.
Vincent wrote:*In the interest of full-disclosure, I work for Real Power, the company that created the Mobile DC Charging prototype vehicle.
Funny - your original post indicated that you were a third party. Might want to update that.

Re: Level 3 (public quick charge stations)

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:52 pm
by KeiJidosha
Mobile L3 is cool and all. But EV charge capable emergency AAA trucks, roaming the freeway, are not a substitute for permanent QC installed in useful locations. The current lack of public charging infrastructure teaches new EV owners that the LEAF is less useful than it could be.