Do-it-yourselfer naivete...?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yanquetino

As we all know, an EVSE is not a "charger," but more of a surge protector with some added bells-and-whistles. If one isn't interested in those bell-and-whistles, could an enterprising do-it-yourselfer simply buy one of these...

J1772 Connector and Cable
562.jpg

...wire the other end of its cable onto one of these...

RV Plug with Safety Handle
41xWB%2BiUmCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

...have an electrician install one of these in the garage...

14-50R 240V Outlet
5194KvhUSjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

...tied to this in the electrical panel...

240V Ground Fault Circuit Breaker
GFCB250-2T.jpg

...and then plug the LEAF in, just like at any RV Park?

I am likely exposing my novice electrical skills by asking. :oops: Please enlighten me!

You would need something in between the J1772 and the RV plug that signals the car.

Also, check your local code to make sure you can do this legally. The biggest hurdle might be home insurance ...

I think that anyone trying this should just admit they can not afford the car or never can and just are hanging out here and wasting time and text.

Gonewild said:
I think that anyone trying this should just admit they can not afford the car or never can and just are hanging out here and wasting time and text.

What ?!

I'd definitely welcome and appreciate anyone who can't afford the car in the traditional way and yet want to get this. Besides, where is the fun in getting everything from the supermarkets. Humans are evolved to make tools ;-)

OK I stand corrected.

I for one would not buy a $30,000 + car and risk damaging or killing myself or burning down my house to save a buck.

Just my 2 cents

It is most likely that the LEAF needs to sense a proper "Control Pilot" 1000-cycle per second signal before its charger will "start" charging the LEAF, even if the 240v power is already there, as you suggest doing.

Also, the "standard" GFI breaker might be too sensitive to avoid false "tripping" of the breaker while trying to charge the LEAF.

But, yes, you are close, but not really "safe" enough to be considered anywhere even close to "legal".

Easier and MUCH safer, so FAR BETTER, to buy a PROPERLY DESIGNED and built EVSE to suit your needs. Hopefully more good options will appear in the next several months.

Such DIY is interesting to think about, but DEATH is such a FINAL mistake, not just an "Oops".

Oh... *I* am not thinking of doing this. I'm already set up to install an EVSE, when and if they are available. I am simply curious to know if one could wire together a more "portable" connector, perhaps to use at RV parks.

In that regard, the SPX Charge Station looks mighty tempting!

pix_spx_chrg_station.jpg

Too bad SPX hasn't announced a price for it yet, but I can't imagine it would cost much more than the wall-mounted Voltec equivalent.

One thing for sure: the EVSE market is going to really heat up over the next few months, and the prices will consequently start dropping to competetive levels. Any bets that AV, Blink, Leviton, etc., will try to match the Voltec's price?

I REALLY hope that the LEAFs sold in Europe will simply plug into a standard electricity socket, like the current generation of EVs, and that we don't suddenly need a "soap on a string" solution.

Good picture.
We have a thread in the EVSE section specifically for this plug-in, all-voltage (90-240), SPX (L1 and L2) EVSE.

Norge,
It appears that "soap and string" is here for all newer EVs, but I have not seen pictures of the UK or EU units yet.

Norway said:
I REALLY hope that the LEAFs sold in Europe will simply plug into a standard electricity socket, like the current generation of EVs, and that we don't suddenly need a "soap on a string" solution.
Yeah, that's the kind of configuration I was speculating about with this thread. I know that I have seen Robert Llewellyn plug in his iMiEV with a simple J1772 cord, and would assume (?) that it would work with a European LEAF as well:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQkGw-U9-ps[/youtube]

What I don't understand is why in the U.S. we have to have a "Control Pilot" signal between the receptacle and the EV, yet in Europe they don't. Come to think of it... why don't EV manufacturers just include that "Control Pilot" *in* the EV?

Gonewild said:
Mea culpa for wasting your time with my text. :?

Norway said:

Do you mean the car should have a plug like on other appliances ? I don't think so - EU will most probably go with SAE and use J-1772. They have not decided on an L3 std yet - just like the US.

http://www.sae.org/mags/sve/8862/

The car does not know how much current it can safely draw from any particular "e-hose".

The EVSE, when connected to some circuit, is (presumably) properly set to tell the EV (via the Control Pilot signal) what maximum current is available from that particular "e-hose".

Typically, this "max-current" setting is 12, 13, 15, 16, 24, 32, or 40 amps, depending upon the local laws and the capacity of the circuit (and breaker) that "feed" the power through the EVSE to the car.

The LEAF's present 8-hour "L2" (240v) connection will only use 15 (or 16?) amps, even if "offered" 32 amps.

Likewise, if only offered 12 amps, the EV's charger is not supposed to try and "suck" more than 12 amps, even though it could use 16 or 32 amps.

The EVSE is also a "switch" that keeps the J1772 from having HOT power until the right signal is received, presumably from a "connected EV wanting power" rather than just a child's tongue and fingers.

1) Does anyone think it important that the recharging process be safe enough for children (say 5 to 12) playing around the cord on either end (especially in wet conditions on their bare feet) or maybe with an extension cord because the cord was too short?
2) Does it give you pause to know that most GFCI circuitry in use today (the primary protection for line to ground electrocution -- see above) has a significant protection failure rate?
3) Do you think most adults are adequately informed about electrical hazards, especially outside in wet conditions?
4) Do you think there are powerful corporate entities that would like to seize upon EV mishaps to spread anti-EV propaganda to enhance their own narrow financial interests?
5) Do you think insurance companies might raise their rates in connection to EVs (at least initially) if there were uncertainties with their safety?

garygid said:
Norge,
It appears that "soap and string" is here for all newer EVs, but I have not seen pictures of the UK or EU units yet.

"Norge"! :mrgreen:

I've been looking at the UK site, but found no mention of this. However, it isn't really something to announce to the world.

The Th!nk also has a similar "soap on a string", but I wonder whether it is just a earth leakage circuit breaker, or whether it does something more.

So far I think the VW Citystromer (which is 15 years old now) has the best solution by far - a springy orange extentioncable which "hides" behind the front numberplate when not in use.

evnow said:
Norway said:

Do you mean the car should have a plug like on other appliances ? I don't think so - EU will most probably go with SAE and use J-1772. They have not decided on an L3 std yet - just like the US.

http://www.sae.org/mags/sve/8862/

Virtually the whole of Europe have standardized on 230V 16A sockets. Same as in any kitchen and garage. You can draw 3.6 kW from them. (In Britain the limit is 13A.)

There are litterally millions of these available to charge cars. There is no need for any additional infrastructure for standard charging.

I agreee that the J-1772 socket is likely to be used. I hope there is some intelligent default so that we do not need the "soap on a string", as it makes everything so much more difficult when it is raining, dirty, full of snow, etc.

Here is a link i found:

http://www.iec.ch/online_news/etech/arch_2009/etech_1209/industry_1.htm

Back