GlennD
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1493
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:14 pm
Delivery Date: 20 May 2013
Leaf Number: 410357
Location: Anaheim

Re: E-MotorWerks JuiceBox - an open source 15kW EVSE

Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:03 pm

I think the ceramic resonator is used since it has less emissions and the type acceptance is easier. One problem I have seen on the UNO is that the Chinese resonators are typically very low in frequency.


If you want a heater for your evse PM me, I have one that should work fine. It is just that the housings I use do not have room for it. I built it in case my outdoor OpenEVSE in Georgia reported problems. I will sell it for $20 shipped. It requires 240V and 12-15VDC for the relay.
:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e
White Ioniq limited.It sits just fine

valerun
Gold Member
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:34 am
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2013
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Contact: Website

Re: E-MotorWerks JuiceBox - an open source 15kW EVSE

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:07 pm

brinkhamer wrote:
valerun wrote: 4. PCB heater. Yes, we have added a small 6-watt heating element to the bottom of the PCB. It would turn on below 0 degrees F and turn off once the processor core heats above that temperature. This will result in more reliable operation in extremely low temperatures (we did NOT receive any complaints from our customers in Canada / midwest even with a previous version so this is mostly a preventive measure)
FYI, you've got one now, I have cold weather issues and the $0.09 cent difference between a crystal and the ceramic oscillator on the pro-mini is the primary suspect. Ideally I'd rather pay the $0.09 upfront than every 5 days in a heater ideally, thats another $7/year operating cost for a 6watt heater.

(note, did not have problems compiling the source code, though arduino environment changes so fast and is thus by definition unstable, I don't know if I care).

Thanks brinkhamer for your report. What kind of issues are you experiencing? Could you pls email us at JB-support@emotorwerks.com so we can see what we can do?

thanks,
Val
EMW - Creators of the Best-Selling 10-18kW JuiceBox EVSE: http://emotorwerks.com/, JuicePlug - a universal adapter to make any EVSE smart: https://goo.gl/dM29O7, and 12-50kW DC Charging systems: http://goo.gl/oOpBvq

valerun
Gold Member
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:34 am
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2013
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Contact: Website

Re: E-MotorWerks JuiceBox - an open source 15kW EVSE

Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:29 pm

Hi All -

The new version V8.11 of the JuiceBox EVSE is now shipping in four configurations!

A large number of new features and significant improvements, including:

- Revenue-grade energy meter now on board - 0.1% precision at 25C, better than 0.5% across the operating temp range!
- Precise power measurement - better than 1%
- Precise voltage measurement - better than 2%
- Precise current measurement - better than 2%
- -12V and +5V are now generated on PCB - the only power input now required for the PCB is +12V, making power supply selection easier and more diverse
- Main relay circuit changed to bring the relay opening time to absolute minimum. This ensures fastest possible GFCI trip time

As always, when equipped with WiFi module (provision built into the board so upgrade is a snap), you get access to the host of advanced connected station features such as:

- Real-time and historical charging data on our website or through our beautiful SmartPhone App - Android installation link here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... s.juicebox" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Control your JuiceBox from anywhere in the world, dynamically changing charging current and time-of-use schedule
- Set up ~10 different automatic notifications, including: time-of-use in effect, start of charge, end of charge, unit offline, unit back online, car not plugged in by certain time in the evening, etc. - Access Our JuiceBox Control Room here: http://www.emotorwerks.com/cgi-bin/JB_Control.pl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Ensure your JuiceBox keeps correct time via automatic network sync

We hope you like this new version!

Help us bring more innovative EV Charging products to the market - support EMotorWerks by making a good use of our Online Store: http://www.emotorwerks.com/products/onl ... g-stations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you for your continued support!

Go Electric!

Team JuiceBox
EMW - Creators of the Best-Selling 10-18kW JuiceBox EVSE: http://emotorwerks.com/, JuicePlug - a universal adapter to make any EVSE smart: https://goo.gl/dM29O7, and 12-50kW DC Charging systems: http://goo.gl/oOpBvq

dsinned
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:20 pm

Re: E-MotorWerks JuiceBox - an open source 15kW EVSE

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:42 am

valerun wrote:Hi All -

The new version V8.11 of the JuiceBox EVSE is now shipping in four configurations!

A large number of new features and significant improvements, including:

- Ensure your JuiceBox keeps correct time via automatic network sync

We hope you like this new version!

Team JuiceBox
This new feature alone is worth the price of admission imho! :-)

Valerun, you forgot to mention the addition of your new UL approved, "WattBox 200" to eMW's product line. If I still had my Leviton 7.7kW L2 EVSE, I would be all over this new product. The cell phone app's remote monitoring capability would have made such a combination very appealing, plus I would be immediately eligible for the CPUC's PEV sub-metering (EV-B rate plan) trial. I will soon be losing PG&E's E-9A rate plan next month, so switching to this sub-metering rate plan is also very desirable, since a WattBox install is a whole lot less expensive than PG&E's required infrastructure changes added to my residence for a sub-meter dedicated EVSE charging station. I sold my Leviton to a co-worker a few months ago, so now I must wait for the WattBox to be approved for use with a UL version of the JB in order to participate in the trial. The combination of a JB + WB will be even better, because in addition to the app's remote monitoring, users can also "control" their EVSE charging operations! HOORAY!!!

valerun
Gold Member
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:34 am
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2013
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Contact: Website

Re: E-MotorWerks JuiceBox - an open source 15kW EVSE

Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:20 pm

dsinned wrote:
valerun wrote:Hi All -

The new version V8.11 of the JuiceBox EVSE is now shipping in four configurations!

A large number of new features and significant improvements, including:

- Ensure your JuiceBox keeps correct time via automatic network sync

We hope you like this new version!

Team JuiceBox
This new feature alone is worth the price of admission imho! :-)

Valerun, you forgot to mention the addition of your new UL approved, "WattBox 200" to eMW's product line. If I still had my Leviton 7.7kW L2 EVSE, I would be all over this new product. The cell phone app's remote monitoring capability would have made such a combination very appealing, plus I would be immediately eligible for the CPUC's PEV sub-metering (EV-B rate plan) trial. I will soon be losing PG&E's E-9A rate plan next month, so switching to this sub-metering rate plan is also very desirable, since a WattBox install is a whole lot less expensive than PG&E's required infrastructure changes added to my residence for a sub-meter dedicated EVSE charging station. I sold my Leviton to a co-worker a few months ago, so now I must wait for the WattBox to be approved for use with a UL version of the JB in order to participate in the trial. The combination of a JB + WB will be even better, because in addition to the app's remote monitoring, users can also "control" their EVSE charging operations! HOORAY!!!
Thanks Dennis - that's right - PG&E and other utilities have approved our UL-compliant WattBox smart energy meter for installation under the CPUC submetering pilot (CPUC = California Public Utility Commission). This was a 6-months process to get them to this point so we are pretty happy.

JuiceBox is next.

Val.
EMW - Creators of the Best-Selling 10-18kW JuiceBox EVSE: http://emotorwerks.com/, JuicePlug - a universal adapter to make any EVSE smart: https://goo.gl/dM29O7, and 12-50kW DC Charging systems: http://goo.gl/oOpBvq

wwhitney
Posts: 757
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Location: Berkeley, CA

Re: E-MotorWerks JuiceBox - an open source 15kW EVSE

Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:37 pm

valerun wrote:our UL-compliant WattBox
What does "UL-compliant" mean? UL listed, assembled from UL listed parts but not evaluated as an assembly, or something else?

Cheers, Wayne

valerun
Gold Member
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:34 am
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2013
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Contact: Website

Re: E-MotorWerks JuiceBox - an open source 15kW EVSE

Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:48 pm

wwhitney wrote:
valerun wrote:our UL-compliant WattBox
What does "UL-compliant" mean? UL listed, assembled from UL listed parts but not evaluated as an assembly, or something else?

Cheers, Wayne
Good question, Wayne.

Assembled from UL listed parts per their conditions of acceptability, and reviewed & approved by the PG&E compliance specialists.

Val.
EMW - Creators of the Best-Selling 10-18kW JuiceBox EVSE: http://emotorwerks.com/, JuicePlug - a universal adapter to make any EVSE smart: https://goo.gl/dM29O7, and 12-50kW DC Charging systems: http://goo.gl/oOpBvq

brinkhamer
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:27 am
Delivery Date: 17 Feb 2012

Re: E-MotorWerks JuiceBox - an open source 15kW EVSE

Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:50 am

valerun wrote: Thanks brinkhamer for your report. What kind of issues are you experiencing? Could you pls email us at JB-support@emotorwerks.com so we can see what we can do?

thanks,
Val
It is not charging, full report sent to JB-support@emotorwerks.com on feb 20th, no response.

racpuc
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:38 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Mar 2015

Re: E-MotorWerks JuiceBox - an open source 15kW EVSE

Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:44 am

I'm also having issues with my juicebox. Mine charges but the wifi feature has issues. I have emailed JB-support@emotorwerks.com on Feb 22. Still no responds. Anyone else have a better way of contacting them?

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6677
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: E-MotorWerks JuiceBox - an open source 15kW EVSE

Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:43 am

racpuc wrote:I'm also having issues with my juicebox. Mine charges but the wifi feature has issues. I have emailed JB-support@emotorwerks.com on Feb 22. Still no responds. Anyone else have a better way of contacting them?

Did you try calling them?

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”