What happens if Etec installs charger but I don't buy a Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

What happens if Etec installs a charger and I decide not to buy the Leaf? Do I get to keep it?

And, what's happened to my $99 deposit, am I going to get it back?

EVLover said:
What happens if Etec installs a charger and I decide not to buy the Leaf? Do I get to keep it?

And, what's happened to my $99 deposit, am I going to get it back?

There's a contract you sign with the EV Project/eTec and if you break it, such as deciding not to buy, they will come and remove your charging station...guaranteed. They will monitor your car's charging and when they see it isn't being charged, they will come and take it back in accordance with the contract you would have had to sign to get it installed.
If you decide not to buy the LEAF, you will receive a $99 refund of your deposit.

Blink! I figured they'd take it back. Have yet to see the details of the agreement but I understand that I need to comply for two years then I'm free of any further commitment. I assume the charger is then mine to do with as I wish? Like, rip it out, put it on Ebay and buy one of those cute little white round ones... I still don't know what happens to my $99. Did the car just cost me more than I thought?

EVLover said:
Have yet to see the details of the agreement but I understand that I need to comply for two years then I'm free of any further commitment. I assume the charger is then mine to do with as I wish?
Yes, after the project term the ownership of the equipment is transferred to you if you meet all the terms of the agreement.

Like, rip it out, put it on Ebay and buy one of those cute little white round ones...
I don't understand why you would do that--it's in your garage, fer cryin' out loud! It's not like it's in your living room. Is your garage that much of a showcase that it would ruin the aesthetics of the space? If so, more power to ya...

I still don't know what happens to my $99. Did the car just cost me more than I thought?
It was a deposit, and will be applied to your invoice when you buy the car. If you back out, as people have said, it will be refunded to you.

TT

Here's the link to the ECOtality customer agreement that you'll have to sign before taking delivery of your Blnk EVSE....

http://173.201.179.178/questionnaire/participant-agreement/

Thanks Randy, a super useful link. TTWeed: You should see my garage. It's a thing of beauty. I sometimes leave the garage door open so the neighbors can peak in and sigh wishing they had one just like it. I once hung framed photos in there for them to admire. All joking aside, the Blink is darn ugly. And I've never understood why people often park their cars, typically the second most valuable thing they own after their house, out in the street and have their garage full of all sorts of crap. I have one neighbor who, together with his two sons, have four vehicles parked on the street. They have a two car garage and a driveway big enough for two cars, yet they crowd the street. And don't get me started on car remotes that honk the horn, nice to be woken at 6am cause someone wants to open their car with the remote from two feet away... and don't get me started on people using fog lamps when it isn't foggy, don't they realize they're extra bright for a reason and are simply blinding other road users?... and don't get me started...... Good night all.

Just goes to show -- to each their own.

I think the Blink EVSE is a thing of beauty, elegant and modern in its simplicity.

However, the Leaf is so ugly dogs won't chase it. :)

(I read that somewhere, and laughed out loud.)

Hard to complain, I guess, because the Blnk EVSE will be free to us project participants. But why did they have to make it so LARGE? It will barely fit on my wall in between other stuff. What is the size of the EVSE itself, something like 18 x 24"? And then there's the cord reel as well.....It's Big!

It has a nice display, though....

I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. My first Prius' [Pri'i?] (classic and mark 2) where considered odd looking, as was my 1990 Toyota Celica (remember how people thought they were bubble like?). And yes why is the darn Blink! so large, and in two parts? My guess is that it may communicate more info than none-Ecotality charger-docks and therefore has more hardware in it, hence the larger size. Just a thought.

EVLover said:
All joking aside, the Blink is darn ugly.
Just shows no accounting for people's tastes ;-)

I think the consensus here is that Blink is a really cool design. They even hired an external design company ...

But,....but,... it's in TWO parts!!! Why such a bulky design with (I might have mentioned this before), TWO parts? The Aero whatsit is so much neater and streamlined, it's white (like an Apple design) and easier to install and find room for in a crowded garage. Not that mine is crowded, as noted in an earlier post my garage is really a thing of beauty--it's minimalist! But of course, as you say, there's no accounting for taste The Blink! will be history as soon as I'm freed from the bounds of eTec and the study and I'll install something...minimalist (in keeping with my garage). Tally-ho!

some people just don't realize how lucky/fortunate they are

being on the West coast, in a rollout state, able to order a Leaf for delivery as soon as this December or Early 2011
getting accepted into the EV project, for a FREE EVSE (that others have to pay up to $2200 or more for)
being in the EV Project area to start with, having access to THOUSANDS of public chargers, that will never be deployed in the remaining parts fo the country (very likely)

just shutup and take your FREE EVSE, no more whining from you!

I'm with Mitch! :D It could be pink with glitter and gems on it and I would still be excited to get one for free in exchange for the research.

But seriously though, I'm not super excited about the design either. The bottom section for the cord could be removed though and replaced with something more traditional (garden hose hook?)...

Mitch672: Point well taken. I should be feeling very lucky to be where I am with the early EV roll out. Consider my hand slapped for being so thoughtless. However, the Blink! is still darn ugly, though the bedazzling bling idea sounds really good. Or maybe one in plaid? My ancestor's Scottish Tartan, perhaps? My Leaf is on the blink! [soon, I hope]

Here's your ECOtality piece of trivia for the day(!)...It took me 4 times of seeing the Blnk EVSE on display until I realized that they have fiddled with the name. It's not "Blink", but rather "Blnk" with a dot over the "n"....Oh well, outside hired design firm getting all crazy and creative on us.

http://www.blinknetwork.com/media/kit/Blink%20L2%20Pedestal%20Charger.pdf

So, from now on, I'm calling it a "Blnk".... :)

Randy

Back