tzzhc4
Delivery Date: 02 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2192

Re: eVgo Charging Stations ... a pricing strategy gone wrong

Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Is EVGO taking the tax credit for charging equipment and then depreciating the equipment over the 3 years allowed for rent to own equipment by the IRS and then selling it back to people who have rented it or renting that same equipment further? If people really start signing up it is a brilliant money making idea for EVGO, basically the equipment is all but paid for by the tax credit then +2 years of gravy. If the customer cancels they are on the hook for enough to cover the remainder of the equipment cost.
Cayenne Red SL-e, VIN 2192. Reserved: 4/20/10. Ordered: 10/2/10. Delivered: 6/2/11. Ingineer upgraded factory EVSE

tzzhc4

Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:28 pm

Pipcecil wrote:my current plan is to at least stick with them for 3 years (since it would be monetarily benefical to me). After those three years I can re-evaluate the situation. Will I need the Level 3 chargers anymore? Will other companies push level 3 out here for a pay per use? Is there a significantly better EVSE that I can change to? These are the questions I will have to answer 3 years from now. At least I do have the out to buy the charger from them.
The sales guy at EVGO tried to tell me the same thing about upgrading the "charger" and such. It is complete bunk, the EVSE isn't a charger, the charger is in the car.

In 3 years there will hopefully be better battery technology. The EVSE doesn't charge it is just a plug and safety gate so the electricity only flows after the EVSE has told the car what type of power and the car has signalled to let the juice flow. So more then likely it will be the same EVSE just better capacity on the batteries. If people sign up with EVGO then they will probably dominate the market though I hope others come to market to compete and hopefully without forcing people into 3 year commitments.
Cayenne Red SL-e, VIN 2192. Reserved: 4/20/10. Ordered: 10/2/10. Delivered: 6/2/11. Ingineer upgraded factory EVSE

Pipcecil

Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:01 pm

yea, its a bit of an odd situation and there is plenty of opportunities to get burned (badly too). The ultimate "take home" I think they are trying to sell is:

free maintenence on the EVSE for life (just like any warranty, is it justifiable)
no upfront cost (means you end up paying more over the lifetime, but we all know that)
electricity cost paid (works both ways, helps the electic companies, helps you, and somehow helps evgo)
charging stations (dc fast charging is a big boon for those who need or will utilize it regularly).

My biggest concern was that we "rent" the EVSE for three years, but if we don't change anything, thats a total of 6k over the life of the car (potentially). Thats way above a purchase. Either they will have to offer a lower price plan with the EVSE is "paid" after the 3 years or something else to couteract the cost. 3 years for their $49 for the EVSE is ~$1750, if they are basing this off AV's product and installation (which they use their product and installation), and standard EVSE with installation from AV is ~$2,200. With evgo you get the more advanaced unit. Plus with the tax credit (30% = ~$600), that puts the total evgo is getting about what they unit would be through AV (if they are even elligable for it - dunno how it works since its not at their offices).

We shall see how things go in 3 years. Hopefully the model will change. Or, maybe other companies that had "free" charging, etc. change their model to this? (eww). Only time will tell
DFW Public EV Station Locations
DFW Public Charging Access
Plug-In Vehicles Available in Texas
Total Locations: 254
Total EVSEs: 611
Level 1: 66 Level 2: 512 DC Fast: 33

tzzhc4

Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:03 pm

Pipcecil wrote:We shall see how things go in 3 years. Hopefully the model will change. Or, maybe other companies that had "free" charging, etc. change their model to this? (eww). Only time will tell
I got this reply from EVGO the other day when I asked if they would either offer a mobile only plan or a "pay at the pump" option:

"Yes, we are developing a 'pay at the station' option but it will likely not be ready until early next year."

shay
Delivery Date: 04 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3285

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:50 am

tzzhc4 wrote:
Pipcecil wrote:We shall see how things go in 3 years. Hopefully the model will change. Or, maybe other companies that had "free" charging, etc. change their model to this? (eww). Only time will tell
I got this reply from EVGO the other day when I asked if they would either offer a mobile only plan or a "pay at the pump" option:

"Yes, we are developing a 'pay at the station' option but it will likely not be ready until early next year."
I think that translate into: first we want to sign as many people up on the three year EVSE plans.

tzzhc4

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:13 am

shay wrote:I think that translate into: first we want to sign as many people up on the three year EVSE plans.
Hahaha, with a subtext of "stop bugging us".

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”