Purchased AV unit directly (cash and carry)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both. I went through the process Friday. I had to call Nissan to get the waiver button enabled, then AV to let them know to watch for the waiver and let me into the EVSE portal where I could buy the unit. Every step was fairly confusing. It looked like I was canceling my assessment appointment, which would have been difficult since it happened in July. And they only did it for some folks who "are getting their Leafs pretty soon".

If you've already done the Leaf request a quote and ordered, you don't need this second waiver unless you want to buy the AV EVSE w/o installation. I didn't need the first waiver because I already had the AV appraisal. If you're already on AeroVironment's 'cash and carry' list, you will be contacted shortly before your Leaf is delivered. Then you'd go through the process that Raptor and I did.

So, Feb deliveries that want an EVSE to install in 2010 apparently do NOT have AV as an option, right?

That leaves Clipper Creek as the ONLY candidate (as of today) for a December EVSE, right?

Gary, I suspect that you are right. But it'd be worth a call to AV to find out for sure. Maybe they really wanted to get ten or eleven units out to people getting their Leafs "soon", whatever that means. Or maybe they have some kind of milestone to meet re number of EVSEs shipped. I can certainly understand your concern regarding 2010 purchase... that's the only reason I jumped at the chance to buy the AV unit when Sarah called Friday. AV's number is 626-357-9983.

-Karl

I also ordered my AV Friday- even though I wish I had another choice. I spoke to a licensed electrician in Glendale (Los Angeles County). His name is Kim. He said that there is another EV charger called EV something or other. If any of you are interested give Kim a call at (818) 446-0888. Kim also gave me the LOWEST AV install price of $480!

Take care!

Hello.
I purchased the AV charger and it is being shipped like all of you. My last post I stated that the licensed electrician named Kim stated that there is currently ANOTHER EV home charger for sale through another seller (EV something) AND available NOW! I imagine it might be the EV-Charge America which has not come through for me. If you are interested give Kim a call to inquire if it is EV-Charge America or not? 818) 446-0888

JPC2822 said:
I also ordered my AV Friday- even though I wish I had another choice. I spoke to a licensed electrician in Glendale (Los Angeles County). His name is Kim. He said that there is another EV charger called EV something or other. If any of you are interested give Kim a call at (818) 446-0888. Kim also gave me the LOWEST AV install price of $480!

Take care!

JPC, does your guy work the west side of Los Angeles?

YES- he said he does all of LA! His name is Kim and he gave me the BEST estimate of $480! My AV is not that difficult- my panel is good and all it consists of is putting in the circuit breaker, running the wire, conduit of 20' and install the AV unit.

that's awesome! I'm supposed to hear back from my property owner on Fri. if I can install one and it sounds like they're gonna let me! so i'm thinking that I'd rather go the "cash and carry" route. I'll give your guy a call, thanks!

My EVSE is "out for delivery" with UPS! Providing they drop it off without anyone being there to sign, it should be there waiting for me when I get home tonight! :D Otherwise, I'll be home tomorrow to take delivery myself.

mwalsh said:
My EVSE is "out for delivery" with UPS! Providing they drop it off without anyone being there to sign, it should be there waiting for me when I get home tonight! :D Otherwise, I'll be home tomorrow to take delivery myself.

ME TOO! :D
To all those who doubted us Cash and Carry people take that! Enjoy Mwalsh! We will have our AV installed and ready to go soon!

Not as large, nor as heavy, as I expected. Made in Taiwan, but looks pretty well made. Box includes EVSE; J1772 cable; mounting plate; mounting hardware; owners guide; quick start cheat sheet.

evse.jpg

mwalsh said:
Not as large, nor as heavy, as I expected. Made in Taiwan, but looks pretty well made. Box includes EVSE; 25' cable; mounting plate; mounting hardware; owners guide; quick start cheat sheet.

Who'd have imagined - the much maligned AV actually delivers !

Mike, is the case and the front panel made of plastic or metal? I'm guessing plastic, based on your comment on weight.

I'm hoping mine will come in tomorrow. It just occurred to me that there was no place to specify cord length on the order; maybe they only have the 25 footer in stock. I asked for 15' during my assessment, but longer's fine, too.

-Karl

kolmstead said:
Mike, is the case and the front panel made of plastic or metal? I'm guessing plastic, based on your comment on weight.

I'm hoping mine will come in tomorrow. It just occurred to me that there was no place to specify cord length on the order; maybe they only have the 25 footer in stock. I asked for 15' during my assessment, but longer's fine, too.

-Karl

The finest plastique! I believe you get the cord length you asked for on your assessment, so I think you'll get a 15' one.

I'm sure AV want to get as many of these out as possible, before the low cost EVSE market falls apart on them, and the "import" clones start to show up... $750 is better than these things sitting in their inventory. Who wants to bet the clones are made in the same factory as the AV unit, just on a "third" shift.

Back