NRG eVgo - My Usage Report

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiebo924

Hello,

These things are popping up everywhere. Which is good, but. . . I really think they need to reevaluate their pricing structures. Knowing that it was going to be expensive, I did try it just once. And it's for sure on my "Only in case of an emergency" list. Here's my invoice:

eVgo.png

I knew their DC FC prices were crazy high (if you don't pay a $14.95/mo fee w/12 month contract) in the Bay Area: http://www.nrgevgo.com/san-francisco-bay-area/, but it seems like their prices are just as bad in TX: http://www.nrgevgo.com/dallasfort-worth/ and http://www.nrgevgo.com/houston-2/. TX has WAY cheaper electricity than CA. So, the rates probably look even worse to Texans.

No matter for me. I've never been a customer of theirs and my current Leaf doesn't even have a CHAdeMO inlet. Not worth the price premium for the hardware (my leased one had it) nor the "privilege" of paying crazy prices. Blink's DC FCs prices are a lousy $0.59/kWh in the Bay Area.

Did you call in to use that machine ?? $4.95 I believe is when you call them and they start it for you. I did the same, twice, but if you go sign up for their fob/card that $4.95 is no longer an issue, you just get charged for charging/what you used.

Sondy132001 said:
Did you call in to use that machine ?? $4.95 I believe is when you call them and they start it for you. I did the same, twice, but if you go sign up for their fob/card that $4.95 is no longer an issue, you just get charged for charging/what you used.

So the lowest tier package is a "Pay as you go" with no monthly fee. This means if you want to use the Quick Charge you pay $4.95 to connect and an extra $.20/min. And yes, they did send me a card which I used for my single charge. Yup, not cheap at all. As I said, emergency use only.

^ What he said.

Sondy132001 said:

mwalsh said:
^ What he said.

Sondy132001 said:

I used it last weekend, when I get my bill I'll post it up ;)

I'm not sure what you're complaining about. For once in a blue moon, I don't see these charges as being out of line at all. And if you're a regular user, you can sign up for monthly. I used to complain way back when they first launched in Texas and had no way to pay without a monthly commitment, but this is as good as we have any right to expect, folks. The public charging business if barely (if it is at all) viable even at these prices.

I was prepared to be upset by these rates until I used one. I get more juice in 20 minutes with one of these stations than I do in an hour at the dealer sponsored ABB unit.

I imagine those with bigger batteries are getting an even bigger value as they can charge at higher rates for longer than the leaf.

davewill said:
I'm not sure what you're complaining about. For once in a blue moon, I don't see these charges as being out of line at all. And if you're a regular user, you can sign up for monthly. I used to complain way back when they first launched in Texas and had no way to pay without a monthly commitment, but this is as good as we have any right to expect, folks. The public charging business if barely (if it is at all) viable even at these prices.
Yeah, for occasional use it's pricey, but I can't really complain that much. That said, Blink QC is significantly cheaper if you can find one that works. Here's what I paid last week at a Blink QC:

Session Duration: 18m 22s
Fee Amount: $5.31
Rate: $0.59 / kWh
Energy Consumed: 9.01 kWh

That same QC on eVgo would have cost $4.95 + $0.20 * 18 = $8.55 or $0.95 / kWh.

Expensive, but at least eVgo is pretty good at keeping their stations online.

Still, I would highly prefer a single plan that simply discounts the cost as you use more energy every month.

Say the first 10 kWh / month costs $1.00 / kWh, but then the next 20 kWh costs $0.75 / kWh, the next 30 kWh costs $0.50 / kWh and every kWh on top of that costs $0.30 / kWh.

A plan that would get you the same overall revenue, but wouldn't make you feel like you're paying for nothing if you happen to go a couple months without using the stations.

drees said:
Expensive, but at least eVgo is pretty good at keeping their stations online.
This. Before these eVgo stations popped up here in Colorado, DCFC was pretty hit or miss with up to 80% of the chargers being offline at any one time. These seem like they are going to be well maintained. Also nice that they self report their status to plugshare. Other L3 here don't do that.

I'm going to embark on a trip tomorrow and am currently not an EVGO subscriber. If I sign up for an NRG EVGO account now, I obviously won't have the fob in time. Can you operate the station without the fob (and w/out having to call NRG)?

Phone call usually works, unless the station is very new and it's not showing in the system yet. NRG isn't always up to speed. They still use paper billing like the utility co they are. Only major EVSE provider without an app.

Back