r1234567
Delivery Date: 21 Mar 2013

Re: EVgo nrv QC display -- questions

Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:19 pm

What is this settlement and how do I know if I qualify? I have a 2013. Thanks!

TonyWilliams

Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:15 am

To have an intelligent conversation about displays and unique characteristics of charge equipment is impossible without being able to actually identify the equipment. I hope the following helps with basic understanding:

The NETWORK installs and owns the charger, plus takes your money like mobile phone networks (ATT or Verizon). The charger manufacturer (like Apple iPhone or Samsung Galaxy) design, builds and programs the phones. So it wouldn't make much sense to say my AT&T phone does X, Y or Z without identifying it as an iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy, or some other kind of phone.

There is a teeny tiny amount of crossover. Some networks have the displays or software uniquely modified for their network. For instance, network provider NRG eVgo has all of its chargers on a 30 minute timer, regardless of the manufacturer of the charger. Both Blink and AeroVironment are unique because they both manufactured the DC charging equipment and are also network providers. Neither of them currently produced DC charging equipment, nor have they done so for several years.

Some Networks in the USA:

1) ChargePoint - no monthly charge, largest network by far, but not so big on DC chargers. Cost varies by individual charger. Uses primarily Titium Veefil chargers that are built in Australia.

2) AeroVironment - West Coast Electric Highway, recommended $20 per month, free unlimited charging (Oregon and Washington states). Fantastic and dependable, well placed through those two states only (Washington and Oregon). Uses only their own manufactured legacy DC chargers, which are no longer produced.

3) NRG / eVgo - recommended $14.95 per month, $3 per thirty minute timed charge (if charging more than thirty minutes, the session needs to be restarted). Their billing department is ATROCIOUS !!! Quickly spreading nationwide. Uses chargers from BTC (final assembly in California), ABB (Swiss) and Nissan / Sumitomo (Japan, no longer in production).

4) Greenlots - an "up and comer", no monthly fee, generally free sessions at Kia dealers. Uses only ABB.

5) OPconnect - very small, but they have been very useful in locations that I go. Uses various charger manufactures including EFacec.

6) Blink / Car Charging - absolutley the worst equipment on the planet. All paid for with over $100 MILLION in tax payer funds. Only about 60 working units nationwide, and that's on a good day. This company will once again be bankrupt in the very very near future.

7) EVconnect - small but growing, various DC charger manufacturers are used.

8) SEMAconnect - no DC chargers yet

This following list has nothing to do with who's network sticker is on the charger, but instead is the actual manufacturers of the charger used by the networks. The typical amperage is listed, too:

ABB - 120amps - used by NRG and others, very dependable, Swiss company

Blink - 120 / 125 amps - Blink / Car Charging only, complete garbage, will be bankrupt soon

BTC - 100 amps - used by NRG and others

Nissan (Sumitomo) - 115 amps - used by NRG, ChargePoint, and others. Unit no longer in production.

Efacec - 120 amps - used by Greenlots and others

Signet Systems - 120 and 200 amps - used by Greenlots and others. The 200 amp version is frequently marketed as 100kW.

Aerovironment - 120/125 amps - almost exclusively used by the AeroVironment network - West Coast Electric Highway

Tritium Veefil - 125 amps - used by ChargePoint

Eaton DC Quick Charger - 50 to 120 amps - networks vary

Others:

Aker Wade Level III Fast Charger
Andromeda Power ORCA-Mobile
Delta EV DC Quick Charger
Epyon Power Terra 50.1 Charge Station
EVTEC PublicFastCharger
Fuji
Nichicon Quick Charger
JFE
Schneider Electric Fast Charger
Last edited by TonyWilliams on Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Levenkay
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2018
Leaf Number: 308382

Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:00 pm

Nice info, Tony! I hadn't known that Aerovironment had ceased production; that's kind of sad. Maybe if another state wanted to electrify its roads, they'd whip up another batch.

Not that it would matter to most forum readers, but do you happen to know which, if any of the DC fast chargers are compliant with the CHAdeMO standard (referring to Jack Rickert's observation that the stations he and his colleagues tested weren't able to work into batteries with too LOW a voltage)?

TonyWilliams

Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:37 am

Levenkay wrote:Nice info, Tony! I hadn't known that Aerovironment had ceased production; that's kind of sad. Maybe if another state wanted to electrify its roads, they'd whip up another batch.

Not that it would matter to most forum readers, but do you happen to know which, if any of the DC fast chargers are compliant with the CHAdeMO standard (referring to Jack Rickert's observation that the stations he and his colleagues tested weren't able to work into batteries with too LOW a voltage)?
The Washington and Oregon project was a federal grant, not likely to be repeated.

I have no idea what Jack does, or is doing, so I can't comment on his ideas directly. I will say that there are noncompliant CHAdeMO chargers that won't charge batteries below 200V or 250V

CHAdeMO standard is 50 to 500 volts.

How is the Washington state's electric highway funded?
This project is structured as a public-private partnership whereby the costs are shared by the public sector, the private sector, and the users. Much of the funding is provided by the federal government as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. In Oregon, the state’s charging network is funded with a combination of U.S. Department of Energy and U.S. Department of Transportation grants.

In Washington, initial funding was provided by the US Department of Energy through the State Energy Program (SEP). The Washington State Department of Commerce leads the program for the State of Washington. Commerce invests this federal SEP funding in projects that achieve energy and environmental policy goals. Commerce is invested $1.6 million of SEP grants as seed funding and WSDOT developed the partnerships to implement the Electric Highways network with private businesses, other agencies and electric vehicle drivers.

paulgipe
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 311200

Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:11 am

Thanks Tony. That was fantastic info. Very informative.

Paul
Bakersfield, California
2017 Bolt LT with DCFC, leased 11/09/17
2015 Nissan S with QC, leased, returned
2013 Chevy Volt Premium, used 10/3/16, sold
L2; ClipperCreek HCS-40; Jesla; JDapter Stub
http://www.wind-works.org

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”