DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Re: Charging - plugged-in climate control and EVSE overhead

Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:48 pm

wsbca wrote:
drees wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:funny though, my wi fi i checked it, it uses between 40-80 watt so not a whole lot difference.
Ouch - what kind of wifi device do you have? Mine uses about 5w. An older one I had drew 10w. If you replace yours with a low power one it will pay for itself in a year.
Agreed - I just put the power strip which has my Cisco cable modem, Belkin Wifi Router (which has a fairly big, warm wall wart) and Sunpower data gateway all on it on the Kill-a-watt - 12 watts total. Looks like the cable modem is 4-5, router is 5-6, gateway is 1.
well i dont know what the wifi does when its idling. i tested it while streaming netflix since that is what it does most of the time. we stream two boxes (roku and wii) along with a few computers, etc. and both moto X's when home.

i am using a netgear "wireless G" while watching it, it did go as low as 7 watts or so. i think the netflix boxes draw all the time even when not streaming. the wii is on nearly all the time, and the Roku doesnt even have an on off switch...

the netgear box i just bought less than 3 months ago (the old one burned up. the new one runs a lot cooler but still puts out heat)

i think we just transfer too much data. right after we turned comcast back on, i monitored data transfers and we were doing about 20 GB a week
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 2640.9 mi, 99.37% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:36 pm

Jimmydreams wrote:
The Clipper Creek is drawing 5 watts at idle. I agree about the Blink. I think 30w is a bit much, even given it's wifi connectivity, etc. :?
Hey Jimmy, my TED shows between 2 and 8 Watts for my EVSE circuit when the disconnect is OFF! Do your MTUs show exactly zero reliably when there is zero current flowing? Have you calibrated them to show zero if they show a baseline of a few Watts, and if so, how do you do that?

Thanks.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jimmydreams
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0175

Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:53 am

Boomer23 wrote:
Jimmydreams wrote:
The Clipper Creek is drawing 5 watts at idle. I agree about the Blink. I think 30w is a bit much, even given it's wifi connectivity, etc. :?
Hey Jimmy, my TED shows between 2 and 8 Watts for my EVSE circuit when the disconnect is OFF! Do your MTUs show exactly zero reliably when there is zero current flowing? Have you calibrated them to show zero if they show a baseline of a few Watts, and if so, how do you do that?

Thanks.
Hmmm...good point, Boomer. I haven't turned off the breakers. Let me go turn off the breaker and see what it reads. I'll be right back.

Ok, I'm back. With the breaker off and zero current flowing, I'm reading 0.000kW on that MTU. So there must be some current flowing even with the unit at idle. Also, if I put my ear to the Clipper Creek unit, I can hear a very faint hum, so that is also evidence of a small current being used.
JimmyD
http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar
Blue SL Leaf delivered 1/7/2011
EVP participant. EVSE: Blink
6.75kW PV solar

greenleaf

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:56 am

Boomer23 wrote:
Jimmydreams wrote:

Thanks.
I don't think you can calibrate for an offset.

The two MTUs that I have show 0 when the breakers are off, which is a good thing. But their nominal calibrations are off. I have to set one to 0.97 and the other to 1.08.
2011 Leaf: reserved 4/2010, delivered 3/2011 (VIN 9XX), sold 2/2014.
EVP Blink EVSE installed 4/2011.
OpenEVSE installed 3/2014.
3.22 kW DC Solar PV.

Jimmydreams
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0175

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:12 pm

greenleaf wrote: I don't think you can calibrate for an offset.

The two MTUs that I have show 0 when the breakers are off, which is a good thing. But their nominal calibrations are off. I have to set one to 0.97 and the other to 1.08.
What made you see the need to calibrate them and how did you know what/how to make the offset??
JimmyD
http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar
Blue SL Leaf delivered 1/7/2011
EVP participant. EVSE: Blink
6.75kW PV solar

greenleaf

Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:40 pm

Jimmydreams wrote:

What made you see the need to calibrate them and how did you know what/how to make the offset??
The MTU calibration is under the Advanced pull-down menu. If you don't see it, you might need to update your firmware.

I calibrate the values so that they will match with my electric meter and the power generation from my SMA inverter.
2011 Leaf: reserved 4/2010, delivered 3/2011 (VIN 9XX), sold 2/2014.
EVP Blink EVSE installed 4/2011.
OpenEVSE installed 3/2014.
3.22 kW DC Solar PV.

DaveEV

Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:22 pm

greenleaf wrote:I calibrate the values so that they will match with my electric meter and the power generation from my SMA inverter.
Careful calibrating with the SMA inverter - most are known to be at least a few percent optimistic if not more...

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:36 pm

greenleaf wrote:
Jimmydreams wrote:

The MTU calibration is under the Advanced pull-down menu. If you don't see it, you might need to update your firmware.

I calibrate the values so that they will match with my electric meter and the power generation from my SMA inverter.
Yep, I had to download and install the latest TED firmware in order to be able to enter a calibration multiplier. My TED system is brand new, but the firmware was a previous version. Note also that you will lose current monthly totals if you install an MTU calibration factor. I used a 2.0 factor for my main MTU to get around the fact that my incoming main power feeds from the meter are split and I could only clip the CTs around one pair of leads. Seems to be working okay.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

botsmaker

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:17 pm

driveleaf wrote:AV describes their unit as drawing 5watts in idle mode. Irritating.
Leviton's Evr-green 160 is 10 watts idle power.
http://communities.leviton.com/message/2149#2149
That would be 87.6 Kw a year or $9.64 at .11/ kilowatt. Not that bad. I can live with it.
Botsmaker

DaveEV

Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:40 am

botsmaker wrote:Not that bad.
Not too bad - but enough that you might consider having a switch so you could switch it off the 12 hours a day your car isn't plugged in to it...

Gotta remember that on a typical TOU rate, you are likely to be charged at rates MUCH higher than 11c/kWh (over 30c/kWh), especially in the summer.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”