GRA
Posts: 11497
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Electrify America Network

Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:41 pm

Per WetEV, one site is open, #11 for the month and #389 total: Mojave, CA (S.R.14/Bus. S.R. 58).


This is on the south side of the airport (a good place to look at mothballed jets), and it's convenient for those traveling 14 N-S. It's a bit off track for those traveling 58 E-W, but it does at least loop back to 58 at both ends. It's 174 miles from this site to Von's in Bishop, so the leg's possible if not yet really practical.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

danrjones
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:02 am
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019
Location: Ridgecrest, CA

Re: Electrify America Network

Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:10 pm

GRA wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:41 pm
Per WetEV, one site is open, #11 for the month and #389 total: Mojave, CA (S.R.14/Bus. S.R. 58).


This is on the south side of the airport (a good place to look at mothballed jets), and it's convenient for those traveling 14 N-S. It's a bit off track for those traveling 58 E-W, but it does at least loop back to 58 at both ends. It's 174 miles from this site to Von's in Bishop, so the leg's possible if not yet really practical.
If anyone is ever looking for it, it is in the comfort inn parking lot EAST side all the way in the back.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

GRA
Posts: 11497
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Electrify America Network

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:47 pm

One site is open, #12 for the month and #390 total: Baker, CA (I-15 ex. 246).


Although EVgo has had a 350kW charging site in Baker for almost a year now IIRR, this does make an all-EA trip from LA to Vegas possible, as it's 103 miles from the EA site in Hesperia to Baker, and 85 to Vegas. Even Mojave is practical at 132 miles. If you want to push it you can even do LA to Baker non-stop, at around 180 miles.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

WetEV
Posts: 3364
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Electrify America Network

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:54 pm

71808 Baker Blvd
Baker, CA 92309
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 2068
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Electrify America Network

Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:06 am

All this action going on in California. Is EA not building out the rest of the states at the moment, or is it simply that noone is tracking it?

I know the current cycle goes through December 2021, but I'm really hoping they get some of their regional highway routes covered sooner than that. Maybe this spring when things thaw out, the northeast routes will start to see some action.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

WetEV
Posts: 3364
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Electrify America Network

Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:54 am

GetOffYourGas wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:06 am
All this action going on in California. Is EA not building out the rest of the states at the moment, or is it simply that noone is tracking it?

I know the current cycle goes through December 2021, but I'm really hoping they get some of their regional highway routes covered sooner than that. Maybe this spring when things thaw out, the northeast routes will start to see some action.
Boston to Washington DC has 10 coming soon locations, nothing upstate.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 2068
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Electrify America Network

Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:35 am

WetEV wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:54 am
GetOffYourGas wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:06 am
All this action going on in California. Is EA not building out the rest of the states at the moment, or is it simply that noone is tracking it?

I know the current cycle goes through December 2021, but I'm really hoping they get some of their regional highway routes covered sooner than that. Maybe this spring when things thaw out, the northeast routes will start to see some action.
Boston to Washington DC has 10 coming soon locations, nothing upstate.
While not useful to me personally, the I-95 corridor from Boston to DC (and lately farther, into the Carolinas) is incredibly important. So I'm happy to see them focus on that.

That said, there were a number of corridors in the northeast which do affect me and my family, such as Boston-to-Montreal, NYC-to-Hartford, and Syracuse-to-Philly. I have some family members on the fence about going EV. I think opening these routes soon could help to sway them.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

GRA
Posts: 11497
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Electrify America Network

Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:20 pm

Outside of California there are only 18 sites "Coming Soon" (the aforementioned 10 in the DC to Boston corridor, 1 in AZ, 4 in OR, 3 in WA); the other 58 sites are all in California. This is due to two factors: California gets 40% of EA's total spend in each cycle, and we got started late owing to permitting issues, so we're playing catch-up.

Depending on how you count them, only about 12-15 of the remaining "Coming Soon" sites in California serve national or regional routes, with the rest being primarily for urban use.

Where EA continues to lag for Cycle 1 is in completing transcontinental routes, I-10/40/70/80.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

salyavin
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:51 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2019
Leaf Number: 318726
Location: Littleton , CO

Re: Electrify America Network

Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:24 pm

I used an Electrify America station for the first time today in Frisco, Colorado. The station said the Chademo port was up to 50kw but it gave me 77kw at times and 74kw (the plus can take up to 100kw). I suspect their stations are actually 75kw on their Chademo ports rather than 50kw like the sign says. It was -1C outside (maybe 30F) no significant heat rising of the battery and no cold gating either (probably due to highway driving). Have any of you other Leaf Plus users had a similar experience on Electrify America getting around 75kw?

DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 1287
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: Electrify America Network

Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:43 pm

Nice!
My record is 76kW on an EA charger. On the bottom half of the charge, that speed is very nice.

On the Dash I charred at:
75 to about 19%
67kWh at 35%
65kw at 40%
60 kWh at 43%
58 kW at 45%
56kW at 48%
55kW at 50%

So staying above 50kW until 60% SOC on LS

I am looking for someone who has seen the car break 80. I haven’t found it yet.
2019 SV Plus Silver 6/19 purchase 6,800 M
2013 Leaf SV
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max distance on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max distance on 19 Leaf: 242 Highway 4.5 miles/kWh

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”