DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Re: Electrify America Network

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:00 pm

WetEV wrote:App is now live.

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/mobile-app
Have to say the pricing is VERY good. My charge yesterday was $7.13 . If I had waited until today and did the $4 subscription, my same charge would have been $3.13. I would have saved the sub fee in one charge but then again, the regular rate dropped to 25 cents/min so I would have had to charge twice to get my $4 worths.

I have free charging and will take advantage of that and I expect EVGO will respond accordingly, but if they don't, I look at EA as a single station no different than Webasto or Blink because that is all the stations I can use. EVGO has 2 or 3 QCs at every location now except one (no more space to put another charger) so they still have more value to me.

TBT; Put a charger at Shelton, Aberdeen and Forks and I will show my loyalty to the first company who manages to pull their head out.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:23 pm

The map on that app is pretty flickery. L
2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max distance on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max distance on 19 Leaf: 242 Highway 4.5 miles/kWh (4.9 KWh remaining)

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:42 am

WetEV wrote:App is now live.

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/mobile-app
I was hitting a bug with the app (I don't have an account and didn't login, just browsing) that seems resolved now

Less than 2 hours ago (and earlier today), I chose California, it incorrectly claimed Pass+ and Pass pricing were both $0/month. All the other values would change (e.g. session fees, charging prices, etc.) but the monthly fee would remain $0.

So far, the network's useless for me. Virtually everything is coming soon in the SF Bay Area. Seems like the only two stations not "coming soon" are in Novato and Livermore. I don't think I've ever been to either of those towns. I'm well aware of them and actually knew someone who lived in the latter...

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:56 am

EA is building a nice location in Albuquerque and had one up and running in Santa Fe for a few days ... until it went down for repairs. Their overall track record for reliability so far has been awful.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:32 am

Free Chademo in Northern California

https://insideevs.com/features/348137/d ... -charging/
2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max distance on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max distance on 19 Leaf: 242 Highway 4.5 miles/kWh (4.9 KWh remaining)

Astros
Delivery Date: 28 Apr 2018
Leaf Number: 310136

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:37 am

I downloaded the app last night, and it looks like it has a lot of nice features. I like that it tells you when the last charge using each charger was, since that should give an indication of whether it's working before you get there, even if people aren't checking in with plugshare. I also like that it will notify you once the charger is available, if you ask for that. And, the idle fee should encourage people to actually unplug and move when they are done.

One thing I noticed in the fine print is that the price does not depend on your actual charge rate. It explicitly says that if the car slows down the charge rate so that you would be in a lower price tier, you will still be charged the higher rate. Of course, chademo is limited to 50kW no matter what, so that won't affect Leaf drivers. Except, the chademo plug seems to always be paired with a low power CCS plug, so I wonder if that will encourage more drivers to use that charger even when they could use a CCS/CCS one.
2019 Deep Blue SL Plus

GRA

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:48 pm

SageBrush wrote:EA is building a nice location in Albuquerque and had one up and running in Santa Fe for a few days ... until it went down for repairs. Their overall track record for reliability so far has been awful.
Yes, they're suffering the more or less inevitable teething troubles, especially as they're switching over to an App-based system at the same time. But Gallup and Grants have both been used successfully (just one check-in each so far, by the same person), with Winslow, Flagstaff and Wagon Mound on the way to close or shorten gaps. As it is, it's possible albeit not really practical to reach Flagstaff (185 miles) from Gallup now, and Gallup is practical from ABQ (140 miles) even if Grants isn't working.

To be sure, CHAdeMO-equipped BEVs are at a major disadvantage compared to CCS-cars owing to the single CHAdeMO at each site. As the LEAF's about the only CHAdeMO-equipped BEV out there barring a few pre-2020 Souls and everyone else other than Tesla is going CCS, this strikes me as acceptable. The lack of a TMS in the LEAF makes it a poor choice for repeated QCs in any case.
Last edited by GRA on Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

SageBrush

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:57 pm

GRA wrote:
SageBrush wrote:EA is building a nice location in Albuquerque and had one up and running in Santa Fe for a few days ... until it went down for repairs. Their overall track record for reliability so far has been awful.
Yes, they're suffering the more or less inevitable teething troubles
That excuse was good for the first few weeks of the roll-out. It is now a ~ year or so that stations have been going up and serious problems are as frequent as day #1. They must have a mixture of software, installation and hardware problems. All the more surprising since I thought they use the same 3rd party installers as Tesla.
-----

SageBrush

Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:00 pm

Astros wrote: One thing I noticed in the fine print is that the price does not depend on your actual charge rate. It explicitly says that if the car slows down the charge rate so that you would be in a lower price tier, you will still be charged the higher rate. Of course, chademo is limited to 50kW no matter what, so that won't affect Leaf drivers. Except, the chademo plug seems to always be paired with a low power CCS plug, so I wonder if that will encourage more drivers to use that charger even when they could use a CCS/CCS one.
I'm not positive, but I understood the charging scheme differently. I think you are tiered by the charge rate at the beginning of the session (or close to it.) The general idea is to presumably match your tier to the highest load during the session. This makes more than a little sense since the majority of the electricity costs are demand charges. It would have been fairer to use the peak load from the highest 15 minutes of a charging session since that is what the utility does but it may have been too much for their software .... or they are just screwing you .
-----

GRA

Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:12 pm

SageBrush wrote:
GRA wrote:
Yes, they're suffering the more or less inevitable teething troubles
That excuse was good for the first few weeks of the roll-out. It is now a ~ year or so that stations have been going up and serious problems are as frequent as day #1. They must have a mixture of software, installation and hardware problems. All the more surprising since I thought they use the same 3rd party installers as Tesla.
Tesla had newly-opened stations going in and out of service, sometimes for extended periods of time for at least two years and IIRR it might have been three after the first SC came online, so EA's experiences don't seem out of line, especially when you consider that unlike Tesla they have to deal with vehicles (and charging stations) from multiple manufacturers, multiple credit providers and payment methods etc. Even though CCS/CHAdeMO are supposed to be "standards", the actuality so far shows that there's a fair amount of variation involved between one company's cars and another's.

I suspect the app, once they get the bugs worked out, will simplify things on the payment side a lot. Figuring out the different issues affecting different companies' chargers will likely take longer, and as EA learns which ones are more reliable I'd expect them to alter their orders for same accordingly. I'm sure they'd prefer to work with a single charging station manufacturer rather than the current four, but given the speed with which they've had to ramp this up I doubt that was possible, and this way they get real-world comparison testing rather than unsupported company claims.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”