Page 2 of 3

Re: Option for 220v

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:28 pm
by davewill
Moving that outlet to the exterior is not a huge deal. You'd make the hole on the outside exactly behind the interior outlet, then mount a new outdoor electrical box. If that's close enough to your car, mount a new outdoor outlet there and you'd be done. If it's not close enough, then instead of mounting the outlet there, you would then run conduit from the new electrical box to where you DO need the outlet, and mount another box and the outlet where you do need it. The landlord would have to be OK with the aesthetics. Finally, remove the interior outlet and put on a blank cover (or remove the interior box and patch with drywall).

Need I mention that this should be done by knowledgeable personnel and be permitted?

Re: Option for 220v

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:36 pm
by Oilpan4
A most electricians are only going to pull permits for major stuff like service upgrades and such.

That fuse box is going to need to be ripped out and replaced with a breaker box.
When I was living in Virginia in 2006 the house I was renting was getting a fuse box to breaker box upgrade. I asked the guy how much he was charging to do it, $4,000. That's when I realized that I was in the wrong line of work.
Bought some books, learned to do my own.

Re: Option for 220v

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:38 pm
by davewill
Oilpan4 wrote:A most electricians are only going to pull permits for major stuff like service upgrades and such.
Not if they follow the law.

Re: Option for 220v

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:57 pm
by Oilpan4
Some nanny state municipalities require permits be pulled to change a light switch.
So it don't always happen.
What's required by law and what actually happens are usually not one in the same.

Re: Option for 220v

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:06 pm
by mwalsh
regundo wrote:Hello, I am renting a house and I have a 220v outlet in a room next to a window, and also there are holes drilled in the corner for cable wire.
OMG! I can't believe that panel is still in use. That fuse system has to date back to the 1920s. I wouldn't even want to live there!

Edit: Surprised to see how common it is to still see this type of system in use, and the fuses so readily available. I found one YouTube video that said these went out of code in like 1928. I can't imagine how they've managed to stay in use for so long.

Re: Option for 220v

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:14 pm
by LeftieBiker
Question: If she doesn't want to spend that much money, would it be possible to just upgrade that outlet + line (if need be) and maybe a 110 outlet (for my computer) and have it work properly? I know the rest of the house wouldn't be so safe, but would that allow me to charge my car and have a working line for computer/tv?
That would be possible. Once again, though, modern grids have 120 and 240 volts, not 110 and 220.

Re: Option for 220v

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:39 pm
by Oilpan4
mwalsh wrote:
regundo wrote:Hello, I am renting a house and I have a 220v outlet in a room next to a window, and also there are holes drilled in the corner for cable wire.
OMG! I can't believe that panel is still in use. That fuse system has to date back to the 1920s. I wouldn't even want to live there!

Edit: Surprised to see how common it is to still see this type of system in use, and the fuses so readily available. I found one YouTube video that said these went out of code in like 1928. I can't imagine how they've managed to stay in use for so long.
It cost the land lord $4,000 to upgrade the panel in the house I used to live in.
That might be part of it.
It may be so bad that no electrician wants to touch it unless they are doing a full home rewire.

Re: Option for 220v

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:54 pm
by mwalsh
Oilpan4 wrote:It cost the land lord $4,000 to upgrade the panel in the house I used to live in.
That might be part of it.
It may be so bad that no electrician wants to touch it unless they are doing a full home rewire.

I can see that. The insulation on wiring in a 1960's home I was working on (roofing) a few years back was so brittle that I opted to build a new flashing around the service mast in sections, and solder them together, rather than disconnect the service and drop a one-piece flashing over the mast. The insulation is fine until you start messing with it and it literally crumbles in your hands.

Re: Option for 220v

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:58 pm
by davewill
mwalsh wrote:It cost the land lord $4,000 to upgrade the panel in the house I used to live in.
... The insulation is fine until you start messing with it and it literally crumbles in your hands.
Curious definition of "fine". ;)

Re: Option for 220v

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:17 pm
by mwalsh
davewill wrote:Curious definition of "fine". ;)
I wasn't being paid for electrical work, so I didn't mess with it. Therefore, fine. :D

Actually, I wasn't being paid for the roofing work either, but that's a long story. ;)

I will say this, if I ever moved into that house, a full rewire would be very high on my list. To get grounded outlets if nothing else!