Tandemrider
Delivery Date: 23 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 008561

Any V2G or V2H charger available yet for US?

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:22 am

I am waiting to buy or lease a Leaf eplus until I can buy a V2G or V2H charger at a reasonable price.
Nissan says that they are using theirs in Japan but only seems to be trialing it elsewhere.
https://insideevs.com/news/363304/nissa ... zes-tesla/

As DougWantsaLeaf pointed out, Wallbox says that they are coming out with V2G EVSE including a DC powered unit:
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/07/26/wa ... t-charger/

Nuvve says that they have one but they don't answer email or voice mail:
https://nuvve.com/v2g-chargers/

Ovo Energy has been testing their V2G charger but still not available for sale to the public:
https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars ... id-charger

Coritech seems to have one available but it is too big to put in my garage. I would prefer one like Nuvve's:
https://coritech.com/ev-chargers
Last edited by Tandemrider on Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Re: Any V2G or V2H charger available yet?

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:00 am

What country (and area of country if in the US) are you located?
2019 S Plus (98.06% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (94.77% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

KeithBriggs
Delivery Date: 17 Jul 2019
Leaf Number: 313244

Re: Any V2G or V2H charger available yet for US?

Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:05 am

I emailed the engineer for the bidirectional inverter rectifier and they currently have no plans for the US at this point. It's not that simple as you need an automatic switch. I already installed a 16kw pv system that allows a second ac input. Will need a 3rd party option. If thinking about PV, the leaf in 240v mode will take 82% of an 8k system. So glad I did the extra work for 16 (2 outback radians paired up)

dmacarthur
Delivery Date: 03 Jul 2018
Leaf Number: 306556

Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:38 pm

KeithBriggs wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:05 am
I emailed the engineer for the bidirectional inverter rectifier and they currently have no plans for the US at this point. It's not that simple as you need an automatic switch. I already installed a 16kw pv system that allows a second ac input. Will need a 3rd party option. If thinking about PV, the leaf in 240v mode will take 82% of an 8k system. So glad I did the extra work for 16 (2 outback radians paired up)
Not sure how you compute Keith, depends on how many miles, but.... we also have an 8KW solar array and use no where near 82% of the power... Approx. 1000 miles/month/4miles/KWH=250 KWH/month needed, or about 1/4 of the power we produce here even in the darkest months. If you drive 3500 miles/month this changes, of course.....
2015 Leaf sold
2019 Leaf Plus S as of 9/30/19

DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:23 am

The Chademo Wallbox was being peddled at CES.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.c ... issan/amp/

Any read on uptake?
2019 S Plus (98.06% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (94.77% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

Marktm
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 09 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 022737

Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:59 pm

Appears Quasar is on the right track. Power is OK - not "quick" by any measure, but a reasonable start. I'd like to see at least a 10kw unit - which would work in most home (US) systems. The question is how robust will be the control programming, can it (sort of) be "AC coupled" with existing solar inverters to make the best use of solar generation (robust controls?). Being European - are they going to actually build a 240 VAC split phase unit - without adding a autotransformer?

The price is high, but certain energy contracts might be able to pay it out (sell back at actual energy value at the energy interval - ERCOT/Griddy).

A major issue is - can it be used to supply backup/emergency energy when the grid is down? - doesn't appear so.
2012 Leaf SL; 46,000 miles. Battery replaced November 1st, 2016.

KeithBriggs

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:05 pm

Thanks for the reply Doug. I did find 2 on alibaba.

At first I was not excited because the one from SETEC ~ $2k usd was only 3kw rms but then I figured 10 hours at 3kw and I've gone thru 75% of my battery. My way of looking at it is that I'm adding storage to my 6 simpliphi batteries. This mini-inverter can handle most loads light and microwave or hair dryer. It can peak at 6kw so it should easily handle lights, microwave and a hair dryer but its unlikely to be able to handle a an electric range or an electric water heater.

1. for a non-PV system, this is a nice option to have power from the car when the grid is down. It seems you'd still need to install a double throw switch from your main panel to disconnect the grid and connect to the car and a 30a dryer vent plug-in. There does not not seem to be an issue with load balancing.

2. for a PV system It could be use as a grid simulator if plugged into the AC grid-in area of the inverter. My outback system has two AC inputs so this would be in the generator input. This seems esp useful for an off-grid setup. I thought about running the 370v dc straight into a schneider Conext MPPT 80 600 charge controller but I'm pretty sure this could only be used to discharge the LEAF and there's fewer ways to control it.

I could see charging your car at work or at a free charging station and draining it at home. Free "gas" and free electricity at home.

I can also see that its nice if you had your car, you also have a 3 to 6k watt power supply wherever you are.

roger1818
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2019
Leaf Number: 315029

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:59 am

Marktm wrote:
A major issue is - can it be used to supply backup/emergency energy when the grid is down? - doesn't appear so.
The biggest issue with supplying backup/emergency energy when the grid is down is the the legal requirement of disconnecting your service from the grid when on backup power. This needs to be done by a separate piece of equipment, not the V2G/V2H box. That equipment will usually have a way of making your local system think that the grid is not down and thus operate normally.

This requirement is for the safety of Hydro workers working on repairing the line. You don't want lines that they think are dead to be energized by your system. You also don't want to be feeding power to your entire neigbourhood. ;)
2019 Leaf SV
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

KeithBriggs

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:01 pm

Agreed. My inverters are electric company approved. That is they run when the grid is up or down but wont connect to the grid to sell if they don't see a sin wave coming from the grid.

Simple approach without a PV inverter is to have a double throw switch connecting the grid or the LEAF as power supply to the home. The concept is call "islanding" as you are an island generator. Anti-islanding is the ability to not fry the guy or gal at the pole. Everyone is happier that way! Ideally an automatic switch that flips the grid off when it sees current from the car source and flips it back when when you drive off to get some groceries.

SETEC got back with me and wants more than a reseller is posting them for. 2249 plus 249 to fedex to USA. at 2500, that's equivalent to my 26 monthly meter costs for 8 years! Off grid its another story. They said the output is 220v but the specs give an output voltage range so I'm a bit confused on that. It is pure sin wave which is what I expected and that's what outback inverter wants.

Prices will come down when the world starts taking advantage of the huge storage in EVs. Its also a lot more messing around. You have the normal "car needs charging" event but then you have "house needs plugged in" every day???. What do you do when both need plugging in?

Nissan's integrated approach that they are using in Japan is ideal. I'll probably wait for something similar.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:21 pm

Marktm wrote:
Appears Quasar is on the right track.
I posted this in "TMC"

I'm in Vegas for CES. I spoke to these guys at their booth yesterday.

It's not shipping in the US yet. They told me that it still requires a connection to the grid. It won't help in an outage in its current form. I mentioned I'm PG&E-land and already experienced two "PSPS". The guy told me the reason is that if you have no grid power and let's say you turn on an oven. Suddenly, there's a huge jump in demand and CHAdeMO doesn't let you do have that sudden sharp increase. I don't recall if the words he used were that it has to be a ramp up or in steps.

It's something they want to work on addressing. I recall him saying that many folks either wanted the outage protection or mention PG&E PSPS.

So, for now, it's only useful cases where you might want to store power from the grid at cheaper rates or use during more expensive periods. Or, (IIRC), it can be useful for those who want to store excess solar energy.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”