Re: Electrify America's DCFC Stations Favor CCS Charging Standard

Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:33 am

GRA wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:07 pm
johnlocke wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:01 pm
GRA wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:09 pm

The pad you describe sounds more like a transformer pad. Is there a transformer in place anywhere?
There's an equipment enclosure but it has 8' walls and a couple of solid doors so I can't see inside. I'd expect the transformer to be inside there. I did talk to an SDG&E guy who was there. SDG&E doesn't have keys or codes to get inside the enclosure yet so they can't finish up their work. I did find the CCS/Chademo station finally. It's 400 feet north and west of the enclosure next to the main building near the entrance to the garden shop. one EV only parking space next to the handicapped spaces. It's kind of obvious if you happen to look there. Just not where you would expect it to be.

In the stations I've looked at the transformer;'s outside of the equipment enclosure on an exposed pad with barrier posts, just as you described. Whether that's a requirement of the utility or for some other reason IDK. The posts can often be removed to allow access, but can be locked in place near the base.

As to the distance of the CCS/CHAdeMO unit from the others, I have no idea why they're doing that, but the site in Tracy has a somewhat similar arrangement. Maybe they're trying to keep the CHAdeMO separate from the others so that the CCS people won't see it but will charge at the obvious spot, and only those people with more motivation will look for it. But that implies that EA actually cares about CHAdeMO customers, which seems unlikely, so it's a mystery.
I doubt EA gives a damn about Chademo users. The placement is bad because it's only one non-handicapped spot and it's next to the Garden Shop. It would have be much better to put it out in the parking lot and dedicate two or three spaces. I'm afraid that it's going to be ICE'd frequently by idiots running into the Garden Shop for something. This whole exercise has me thinking about buying an EV with CCS charging rather than Chademo next time.
2016 SV, New battery at 45K mi.
Jamul, CA
San Diego East County

DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:10 pm

Guessing as more of the supercharger location book up, more overflow will go to the EA Chademo. Already if you look in the Plugshare logs, if feels like half the Chademo sessions are being had by Tesla’s. Can only see that going up.
My hope is that the business of selling power will drive the decision of more availability of Chademo at EA stations. I also hope Tesla ups the throughput in the adapter as more and more Chademos can do 75 or more va. The older stations which would cap out at 45.
2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max distance on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max distance on 19 Leaf: 242 Highway 4.5 miles/kWh (4.9 KWh remaining)

coulomb
Delivery Date: 07 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 200445

Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:30 pm

DougWantsALeaf wrote:
... as more and more Chademos can do 75 or more va.
Did you mean 75 kW?
The older stations which would cap out at 45.
Did you mean 45 kW?
2012 Leaf with new battery May 2019. New to me June 2019.

DougWantsALeaf

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:25 am

Yes, but now have units anxiety after being corrected so many times, so I just list the numbers and everyone just has to guess.
2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV

johnlocke
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 300582

Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:35 pm

DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Guessing as more of the supercharger location book up, more overflow will go to the EA Chademo. Already if you look in the Plugshare logs, if feels like half the Chademo sessions are being had by Tesla’s. Can only see that going up.
My hope is that the business of selling power will drive the decision of more availability of Chademo at EA stations. I also hope Tesla ups the throughput in the adapter as more and more Chademos can do 75 or more va. The older stations which would cap out at 45.
Since Tesla already supports CCS on the Model 3 in Europe, it would be nice of them to add it to US models as well. It would be smart as well since there are a lot more CCS chargers than Chademo. It would be smart of Nissan convert to CCS as well for their US models. So of course, Nissan will never do it.
Jamul, CA
San Diego East County

DougWantsALeaf

Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:02 pm

It would be smart for VW, Ford, and GM to convert to Chademo and drop CCS as Nissan, Mitsubishi, and all Tesla’s can already use the chargers in the Us and their are still more Chademo locations (locations not stalls) than CCS.
2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV

GRA

Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:54 pm

johnlocke wrote:
DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Since Tesla already supports CCS on the Model 3 in Europe, it would be nice of them to add it to US models as well. It would be smart as well since there are a lot more CCS chargers than Chademo. It would be smart of Nissan convert to CCS as well for their US models. So of course, Nissan will never do it.

I do wonder if Tesla will go to CCS here for the Model Y, at the same time providing some of same at SC sites, and gradually converting over as the older models disappear. A new model intro seems to be the best time to make such a conversion, as was the case with the Model 3 in Europe, and as CCS is currently superior in power output to CHAdeMO as well as likely cheaper per car install and used by far more manufacturers here, this just seems like the way to go.

For BEVs/quick charging to really take off, it will be necessary to use a single, common QC standard here, which J1772 is now for L2. While I've always appreciated the elegance of Tesla's connector and would have happily mandated its adoption if I were dictator, that's obviously not going to be the universal standard here or anywhere else. It seems the best we'll be able to do is continent-wide standards, which has been good enough for electric voltages and frequencies, TVs and the like. Cars are somewhat more mobile than the former and a lot more expensive than the latter, but the number that are likely to move from one continent to another incompatible one is likely to be even smaller than such auto moves are now.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

johnlocke
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 300582

Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:50 pm

GRA wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:54 pm
johnlocke wrote:
DougWantsALeaf wrote:

I do wonder if Tesla will go to CCS here for the Model Y, at the same time providing some of same at SC sites, and gradually converting over as the older models disappear. A new model intro seems to be the best time to make such a conversion, as was the case with the Model 3 in Europe, and as CCS is currently superior in power output to CHAdeMO as well as likely cheaper per car install and used by far more manufacturers here, this just seems like the way to go.

For BEVs/quick charging to really take off, it will be necessary to use a single, common QC standard here, which J1772 is now for L2. While I've always appreciated the elegance of Tesla's connector and would have happily mandated its adoption if I were dictator, that's obviously not going to be the universal standard here or anywhere else. It seems the best we'll be able to do is continent-wide standards, which has been good enough for electric voltages and frequencies, TVs and the like. Cars are somewhat more mobile than the former and a lot more expensive than the latter, but the number that are likely to move from one continent to another incompatible one is likely to be even smaller than such auto moves are now.
Model 3's in Europe actually have two charge ports. One for Tesla chargers and a second for CCS. They are both located behind the charge port door. It must not be too difficult to do and would be a nice perk. Tesla could retain the Tesla port for Supercharging but provide CCS for convenience. Tesla also has a converter plug for CCS to Tesla for older Tesla's but I don't know if it is fully operational yet.
Jamul, CA
San Diego East County

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:19 pm

DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:25 am
Yes, but now have units anxiety after being corrected so many times, so I just list the numbers and everyone just has to guess.
Now that is legitimately funny. :lol:
It would be smart for VW, Ford, and GM to convert to Chademo and drop CCS as Nissan, Mitsubishi, and all Tesla’s can already use the chargers in the Us and their are still more Chademo locations (locations not stalls) than CCS.
The crucial word being "still". That's certainly going to be changing and not in Chademo's favor. Development of CCS in the face of an existing standard and existing infrastructure was scurrilous at the time, and although I don't like it they have won that battle.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”