Type 1 Locking defect?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuManchu

Hi all. Recently I became a proud owner of a 2015 Acenta. One thing is a bit suspicious: The Type 1 connector can always be removed. If I press the latch, charging stops immediately and I can pull out the plug. I think it should lock the connector so that it can't be removed during charging. After some research I found the emergency unlock screw. Was turned to the right in my case. If it turn it left (i think that's the "locked" state), the car unlocks automatically at the next charging and stays "unlocked" all the time. Currently I only charge with the charger that is supplied with the car through a normal household socket (I think it's a 10A charger). Can it be that the plug is not being locked at small charge currents and is only locked if I charge with 16A or 32A or is this a defect?

If by "unlocked" you mean that the plug can be removed after pressing the release, then that is normal. If you mean that you can pull the plug out without first releasing it, that's another story.

My understanding is that the 'lock' feature is to prevent someone else from unplugging your car while charging at a public station.

The latch is the normal way to stop charging so you can unplug the car if charging at home, as Leftie said. And even if the latch is broken and the plug can be pulled without pushing the latch first - the charging will be stopped in a controlled manner since some plug connections are longer than others and the shorter ones will disconnect first and signal to the car that it needs to stop charging. This will force the car to ramp charging current to 0 before the connectors carrying the charging current become dis-enaged.

Back