AmazingE FAST 32A EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYev

Does anyone have experience with or have you heard about the new AmazingE 32A 220v EVSE by Clipper Creek? It's made in Mexico instead of USA, but still has a UL rating, 3-year warranty, and is ENERGY STAR certified. Available in both hardwired or NEMA 14-50 models. I'm told they are on backorder right now and may not be available for a month or more. I placed an order anyway (which is possible through the Clipper Creek website but not through the AmazingE website).

https://store.clippercreek.com/amazing-e-fast-32-14-50

For what it's worth, I was able to find one fairly glowing review and a brief article about it from back in June:

https://www.gm-volt.com/threads/amazinge-fast-32-level-2-evse-installation-and-operation.338955/

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/clippercreeks-new-amazinge-fast-offers-7-7-kw-level-2-charging-in-a-compact-package/

Just so you understand: the Leaf's onboard charger maxes out at a rate of 27.5A, regardless of what the EVSE can provide. The only exception is the smaller 3.3kw charger, which maxes out at about half that.

Understood. Figured this could be a portable unit if I ever needed one for a future EV. In the meantime, it will more than cover what I need for my Leaf. Plus I'll get 30% of the cost back when I do my federal income taxes early next year.

As I understand it, the Energy Star rating is due to the fact that its draw is smaller when NOT in use- they are all pretty efficient when charging..... so probable savings are small compared to overall energy consumption.

Looks like a pretty decent fixed EVSE but personally what I want with a portable EVSE is one you can adjust the output current if plugging into anything other than a 40+Amp outlet. Not sure why CC always makes their EVSEs fixed current(and voltage, L2 only although it will operate on 208v as well as 240v) but for a portable EVSE I like the ability to downrate the current to 24a(to be able to charge on a 30a circuit) or 16a(to be able to charge on a 20a circuit or even 12a for a regular 15a outlet) again the AmazingE is only usable on a 40+A circuit. Fine if that's all you'll ever use and have access to but it's just not how I roll.
I frequently use my adjustable current ZenCar 32a EVSE(works on 120v-240v) on 30a circuits or even on 120v 12a when in a bind. Without the 12a 120v setting, I'd have to not only carry around that EVSE but also my OEM EVSE, I prefer to carry around just one EVSE.
Juicebox EVSEs are also UL listed and some can be downrated and I believe all work on not only L2 but L1.
If all you need is a 40a L2 EVSE then the AmazingE should be a decent easy to use EVSE if not a bit expensive for what it does(IMO).

Clipper Creek has an excellent reputation. If I was inclined to buy a 'generic' EVSE I would buy this one hands down over a Chinese no name.

Back