dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Colorado Electric Vehicle Fast-Charging Corridors

Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:28 pm

At GRA's suggestion, a thread to discuss developments in Colorado Electric Vehicle Fast-Charging Corridors, which is being sponsored by the Colorado Energy Office.

As many at MNL know, Colorado has long been one of the states most supportive of EVs. One of the initiatives to make EVs viable for many car owners is the development of a statewide network of 34 DCFC stations: https://energyoffice.colorado.gov/zero- ... -corridors

Map of the network: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 265625&z=7

This network should complement the EA and other charging networks and help road trips in non-Tesla EVs with DCFC capability.

ChargePoint was awarded the contract to build and run the stations. These stations will support both CCS and Chademo fast charging. How many of the stations are up and running I couldn't say, although I expect that Plugshare might help with that.

As someone with more than 50,000 miles of road trips using the Tesla Supercharger network, I am very pleased to see the rapid growth of CCS/Chademo fast charging locations in many areas of the country, for those with cars that use those plugs.

The only station with which I am familiar is currently under construction in Montrose CO. I'll post some more info on that site in the next post. If anyone else has info or pictures on these installations, please post them here.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!

dgpcolorado

Re: Colorado Electric Vehicle Fast-Charging Corridors

Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:40 pm

A DCFC complex is under construction in Montrose CO, three blocks from the intersection of US 50 (Grand Junction, Montrose, Gunnison, Monarch Pass, Salida, Cañon City, Pueblo/Colorado Springs) and US 550 (Montrose, Ridgway, Ouray, Red Mountain Pass, Silverton, Durango, Farmington, Albuquerque).

The section of US 550 from Ridgway to Silverton, known as the "million dollar highway," can best be described as "wildly scenic" although it is not for those afraid of heights, since some sections have steep drop-offs with little or no shoulders and no guard rails (so that avalanches can flow over the road and snow can be plowed off the road into the gorge):
Image Image

The site is located at N 1st Street and Uncompahgre Avenue and will have eight Tesla Superchargers and two ChargePoint DCFC stalls; it is being built with the enthusiastic support of the City of Montrose and DMEA, the local electric co-op.

The Chargepoint equipment has been installed:

^ The two ChargePoint stalls on 7 November 2020. No idea when they will be ready to use.

Each of the two ChargePoint towers has both CCS and Chademo cords. According to Plugshare, ChargePoint DCFC stations in my general area (Four Corners) have quite variable charging costs, ranging from really expensive, due to a stiff time fee, to quite reasonable, when charging for kWh only. What the fee will be for this station is unclear to me.

Amenities in the area include: public restrooms two blocks south at Centennial Plaza, where a free Level 2 charge station has been located for many years; some small restaurants and cafes on Main Street, one block south; a supermarket (City Market) four blocks to the southwest; fast food (Burger King) four blocks to the northwest.

This is another fast charging node in a good location for road trips. Montrose is also the gateway city for Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park.

GRA

Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:17 pm

I had written a post in the CP topic after I saw your post there, but deleted it after I found you had correctly divined my intention here. This post is just so I'll see any new posts in this topic. :D
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:48 pm

Dinosaur ($0.20/kWh + $0.25/min.), Pagosa Springs ($0.30/kWh) and Salida ($0.20/kWh + $0.20/min.) which are in three different corridors (there are 6 total) are open per Plugshare check-ins.

The non-EV Corridor CP sites in Colorado are often ridiculously high-priced. One's charging $0.55/kWh off-peak, $1.33/kWh peak!
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:49 am

Chang Thai is about 1.2 miles away. Perfect scooter distance

I promised my wife we would return to Black Canyon. What a magical place
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/18: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
09/20: 54.3 Ahr; 38k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

dgpcolorado

Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:59 am

GRA wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:48 pm
Dinosaur ($0.20/kWh + $0.25/min.), Pagosa Springs ($0.30/kWh) and Salida ($0.20/kWh + $0.20/min.) which are in three different corridors (there are 6 total) are open per Plugshare check-ins.

The non-EV Corridor CP sites in Colorado are often ridiculously high-priced. One's charging $0.55/kWh off-peak, $1.33/kWh peak!
By my standards, $0.30/kWh is reasonable for DCFC. However $0.20/kWh + $0.25/min is getting expensive at the typical Chademo speed of 50 kW. For example a 25 kWh charge at 50 kW: ($0.20 x 25) + ($0.25 x 30) = $5 + $7.50 = $12.50
That works out to $0.50/kWh, which is close to quadruple the home electric rate where I live. It is also more expensive than buying gas for a comparable car.

At the CCS speed of 62.5 kW it would be a bit cheaper. However, if the charge rate tapers, the cost per kWh goes up by a lot.

I'm rooting for more stations at the flat $0.30/kWh pricing!

dgpcolorado

Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:43 pm

On the subject of pricing, there are three ChargePoint DCFC stations in Eagle County, not part of this Corridor program although they are along I-70, which are 10¢/kWh:
one in Eagle at the fairgrounds
two at the airport near Gypsum

That's a pretty good deal for DCFC charging. All three are sponsored by Eagle County, which sets the prices.

GRA

Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:27 pm

The sooner everyone goes to per kWh pricing, the better. It's simpler and much easier to compare charging costs, with no algebra and charging curves needed. Thankfully California has mandated this, albeit not for a few years yet, but EA has already switched.

dgpcolorado

Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:34 pm

GRA wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:27 pm
The sooner everyone goes to per kWh pricing, the better. It's simpler and much easier to compare charging costs, with no algebra and charging curves needed. Thankfully California has mandated this, albeit not for a few years yet, but EA has already switched.
While I agree with that, some states do not allow selling of electricity by non utilities. Tesla prices Supercharging by the kWh in the states that allow it and by time in states that don't, using a two tier rate depending on charging speed.

It seems unlikely that most states would actually require that EV charging be priced by kWh. Rather, I think that they will let the market sort itself out.

GRA

Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:39 pm

Yes, I know some states don't allow it, and they need to change that. As the % of PEVs increase in a given state, so will the political pressure to fix this. It's bad enough that we still have gas prices to 1/10th cent, when the justification for it ended long ago.

BTW, have you let your local legislator and senator know how you feel about this in Colorado? Squeaky wheels etc.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”