dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Re: Colorado Electric Vehicle Fast-Charging Corridors

Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:26 pm

GRA wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:43 pm
Some of the state-financed sites have also been moved, e.g. Conifer is now apparently going to be in Indian Hills, while the state site which was to be in Silverton has apparently been split into two, at Ouray and Purgatory Resort instead. I thought Silverton was a good choice, located in between high passes both north and south of it, but the new sites are spaced better and on both north and south sides of the group of three passes. This splitting into two may be why the total # of state sites increased from 33 to 34.

One indication that the site is possibly state-financed is that they all have (at least) two CCS/CHAdeMO chargers, and IIRC the sites had to have the necessary electrical capacity to double the number of chargers if/when needed.
I agree that Silverton would be a better location than Ouray plus Purgatory. Ouray is too close to Montrose (35 miles) and Purgatory is too close to Durango (27 miles). I suppose, however, that the close distances make for additional redundancy since if one site is full or down one could continue to the next.

Tiny Ouray, population about 900, would certainly like having a DCFC site, being a major tourist town (had a crazy busy summer). Of course, if these sites are as silly expensive as the Montrose one is, they won't get used much.

The Montrose station still has stall 2 Available and stall 1 as Unavailable, despite the ChargePoint map showing both active. I wonder if, when someone plugs-in to 2, then 1 goes active? Can't figure out what's going on.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!

GRA

Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:16 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:26 pm

I agree that Silverton would be a better location than Ouray plus Purgatory. Ouray is too close to Montrose (35 miles) and Purgatory is too close to Durango (27 miles). I suppose, however, that the close distances make for additional redundancy since if one site is full or down one could continue to the next. )

That's my thinking, given the current hit- or-miss nature of site reliability/activation.

Tiny Ouray, population about 900, would certainly like having a DCFC site, being a major tourist town (had a crazy busy summer). Of course, if these sites are as silly expensive as the Montrose one is, they won't get used much.

If a (locally supported?) site can be justified for Meeker, which AFAIN is just a road junction with no tourist interest, then Ouray certainly should rate a site.

The Montrose station still has stall 2 Available and stall 1 as Unavailable, despite the ChargePoint map showing both active. I wonder if, when someone plugs-in to 2, then 1 goes active? Can't figure out what's going on.

Montrose is expensive, but pity the poor soul who has to charge on-peak in Buena Vista! :o
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

dgpcolorado

Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:21 pm

A ChargePoint CCS/Chademo station is reported to be planned for the Kum & Go in Craig, on US 40, adjacent to the eight stall Tesla Supercharger Station nearing completion there. According to the construction crew working on the Supercharger Station.

A four stall ChargePoint CCS/Chademo Station is nearing completion in Rifle, at a Kum & Go south of I-70. Awaiting the installation of a transformer as of a week ago. Pictures on Plugshare.

dgpcolorado

Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:05 pm

Both Chargepoint stalls in Montrose CO are now on and "Available."

DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:13 pm

Which payment system/network do they use?
2019 S Plus (98.06% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (94.77% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

salyavin
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2019
Leaf Number: 318726

Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:04 pm

Colorado fast-charging corridors are just chargepoint.
I had some problem with roaming with them for example the EvGo Nissan credit using that RFID card or app but I had no problem at sites like Eagle (which is crazy cheap BTW). I used up my credit and it's been more than a year anyway so I have little reason to roam any more.
I went to Telluride/Ouray area twice last summer and the second time Salida was available which helped desipite the price it cut my distance going via Delta. Having Montrose will sure help. Beyond that I did l2 like camping at ridgway state park (camp outlet) or at the park in Ridgway and the parking garage in Mountain Village for the lift or whatever. I would also like Silverton. I am OK with Ouray and Telluride with only l2 as they are more of a destination or a place you visit than a pass through area and we have Montrose. Still the more the merrier for redundancy. l2 when you are just trying to get somewhere is no fun. EvGo is just not that useful for road trips. Delta BTW is EVConnect but it is not part of the state program. I've seen EA in Frisco and Grand Junction crap out, Frisco a couple times that I noticed. Out here mainly you need Chargepoint and EA but I also carry EvGo and EVConnect. Especially out in some of these rural areas like Salida (where I was one of the first to use) people come talk to you wanting to know about EVs.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”