EVSE got wet, showing constant fault

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanmuirow

My EVSE got done water inside it during a big wind/rain storm. It was tripping the gfci where I plug it in before I realized this problem. I took the cord caps off the Evse and about half a cup of water came out. Stopped tripping the gfci, buy displayed a fault. I removed the screw caps and the security torx screws and took off the cover, used a blow dryer to dry out the inside of the Evse. Still showing fault. Multimeter indicates good current through the incoming and outgoing wires of the EVSE. Any suggestions why is still faulting, and how to get it working? Any advice is much appreciated, thanks

Most EVSEs are water resistant. Guess I know why I don't use caps. Also get CONSTANT comments because my Level 2 cover cap on the car is NEVER on.

I am guessing issue is proximity sensor? I would disassemble and reassemble?

evanmuirow said:
used a blow dryer to dry out the inside of the Evse. Still showing fault.
Rain water isn't just H2O, there are contaminants in it. Following water damage, or indeed water deliberately used for cleaning, it's usual to use alcohol to dissolve the contaminants. This will take some time with swabs or a rag.

It's a good idea to spray with a suitable printed circuit lacquer or coating. But hold off until you see it working; otherwise, you may need more cleaning, and you don't want to "seal in" any remaining contaminants or have to remove your new coating to get to them.

coulomb said:
evanmuirow said:
used a blow dryer to dry out the inside of the Evse. Still showing fault.
Rain water isn't just H2O, there are contaminants in it. Following water damage, or indeed water deliberately used for cleaning, it's usual to use alcohol to dissolve the contaminants. This will take some time with swabs or a rag.

Back when I was an electronic tech, the procedure for board failing due to contamination was to wash in regular water, rinse in distilled water, rinse with alcohol, swabbing any suspicious areas, cool air blow dry, then try it.

Back