L2 charging from ICE generator possible?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldManCan

Hi,

I am sure I am not the first to think of this and ask the question but I couldn't find a thread on this from prior discussions. Apologies if I am missing them.

I am considering investing in a whole house backup power generator to cover for those occasional utility company shutdowns (wildfire, grid overload etc). I have solar on the roof already and looked at powerwall type battery solutions as well but the financials don't seem to work out yet unfortunately. So looking at the ICE option although I don't really want to go in this direction.

Question is, if I was to go this way, could I charge the LEAF on it if I ever needed to? The unit I'm looking at for example :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091ZJCZLD/ref=emc_b_5_i

has a 14-50 outlet rated at 50A 240V so in theory I should be able to plug in my Nissan supplied EVSE and charge away just as I do from the power company supply today.

Any issues with this? Any hidden gotchas? Any tried and tested generator models?

Thanks for your inputs.

Oh yeah that has plenty of power for charging Level 1 (120vac) or Level 2 (240 vac). It would be worth checking that the neutral and ground sockets (all of them on all connectors) are all wired in and connect back thru to the frame bolt on the alternator. More than likely it does, but i would check and verify.

Thanks for that input. Yes, I am planning to use the 240V outlet if I ever had to. I am guessing I need to ground this unit to my existing house ground to make it truly safe. Will definitely check on the neutral and ground connection on the 240V 14-50 outlet . Still early planning. Maybe another unit in place of this one.

The generator you are considering has two 120V GFCI receptacles in addition to two 120/240V receptacles and there is a note on the front panel that states the neutral is bonded to the generator frame so it should work fine. You are correct, you should ground the generator frame to the house ground for safety.

I use my car as a load bank to run my Honda inverter-type generators under load by temporarily bonding neutral to ground. I made up some neutral bonding plugs that have either a 100k ohm resistor or copper wire jumper between neutral and ground. I choose the resistor one or the solid ground one depending upon what I am plugging in besides the car.

Back