Glendale Water and Power REQUIRES A 2nd METER NOW?!!?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdub

Just got a call from the contractor who was going to do the install on Tuesday for my Blink charger.

Turns out GWP is now requiring a 2nd meter for EVs now? I am really really really mad.

I'll find out more info soon.

If its not too late cancel all that crap and just get a 240V socket installed from your existing panel.. then get one of those modified EVSE. Charging time wont be that different.

Are you at least getting something for your trouble, like a favorable rate plan? If nothing else, it should keep the car usage from pushing you into higher tiers.

I don't have any details yet. Just got the call today from the contractor saying that GWP literally just made it required.

I can't find any information on their website. She's going to talk to her contact there and get back to me. Wants me to hold off contacting them until then.

Okay... got the scoop:

1. The 2nd meter is free. All I need to pay for is the electrician to add the second meter "port" or whatever it's called.

2. There is no separate billing for EVs at this time. This is just for GWP to see how much power the cars are using. My bill would be exactly the same in terms of rates right now.

They literally just made this rule... and it was implied that the rule was created once my contractor applied for the permit... which is odd because Sparky's in my area too so other people in Glendale have a LEAF... I'm not the first.

cdub said:
Okay... got the scoop:

1. The 2nd meter is free. All I need to pay for is the electrician to add the second meter "port" or whatever it's called.

2. There is no separate billing for EVs at this time. This is just for GWP to see how much power the cars are using. My bill would be exactly the same in terms of rates right now.
Wait, THEY want to collect data, but YOU have to foot the bill? Seems like they should pay for their own fact finding...and to add insult to injury, they are delaying your install while they figure this out?

Not cool at all.

cdub said:
Okay... got the scoop:

They literally just made this rule... and it was implied that the rule was created once my contractor applied for the permit... which is odd because Sparky's in my area too so other people in Glendale have a LEAF... I'm not the first.

If you are in the EV project, they will cover the cost up to $1200. Unless you have a difficult install, the entire thing should be free.

davewill said:
Wait, THEY want to collect data, but YOU have to foot the bill? Seems like they should pay for their own fact finding...and to add insult to injury, they are delaying your install while they figure this out?

Not cool at all.

The only extra cost is the extra meter port installation labor. Not sure how much that would add if at any. I'll find out soon. The meter itself and the port itself are free. It just takes more time to install.

jcesare said:
If you are in the EV project, they will cover the cost up to $1200. Unless you have a difficult install, the entire thing should be free.

Yes I know.

The estimate was that I was $90 dollars over that amount. So I currently would owe $90. I presume it'll be slightly more with this new second meter.

cdub said:
Okay... got the scoop:

I have to wonder about the legality of that. Suppose they want to measure the electricity used by your air conditioner, dryer or stove?

Call Glendale power up, ask them on what authority can they FORCE that requirment on Ratepayers / EV owners? Besides, these guys AREN't smart - if it's a BLINK EVSE, they should be working with the EVProject to get the usage data from the BLINK EVSE. And since it's only to study and not tariff, the BLINK EVSE internal watthour meter is sufficient for this purpose (it doesn't have to be tariff grade / certified meter for billing).

Also contact the CPUC and ask them about the legality of this. If Glendale Water and Power is subject to CPUC rate and tariff approval, I wonder it they got this approved or just did it illegally.

This needs to be resolved for future EV owners on Glendale Water and Power, especially when they pay the additional hundreds of dollars of cost out of pocket. If they use a dual meter adapter, those have had issues in the past, so a dual meter adapter is not a good solution.

For your particular situation, getting a watthour meter on your EV charger for $90 is actiually a pretty good deal, though it's manual and I for one, much prefer the Internet connected TED 5000. The TED 5000 doesn't have subsription fees like the BLINK does after the 2 year EV Project period. The TED 5000 uses current sensors and can be installed in your existing breaker panel without adding any additional electrical panels or boxes.

I'm not that mad about it any more.

If they want to study it so they can eventually offer low EV charging rates I'm all for it.

Back