HELP: OEM EVSE tripping outlet's GFCI

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aqn

Leaf Supporting Member
So I picked up my LEAF today :D, drove around a whole bunch, came home, plugged the car into an 120V outlet (with GFCI) in the garage to charge. The EVSE's charge light would go on, but within less than a minute, the GFCI would trip :( . This happens consistently. Should that be happening?

More info:
* My house was built around 1989.
* I have a compressor (Campbell-Hausfeld VT6316) plugged into the wall plate's other outlet. The compressor's label reads: "wired for 120V / 15A / 60 Hz / 1PH". I have used the compressor many many years without it tripping the GFCI. For example, when the compressor's tank is empty, to fill it up to use pressure (usually 100 psi), the compressor would have to run at least five minutes. It seems to me that if the outlet can support 15 amps for that long, why would the OEM EVSE trip the GFCI after less than a minute? (I even tried unplugging the compressor and plugging the OEM EVSE into its outlet: same result.)
* I am using a 50-feet 12-gauge grounded extension cord between the outlet and the OEM EVSE. Can the cord's length be causing this problem?

What is the likelihood that there is something wrong with my OEM EVSE? With my outlet? Thanks for any clues.

aqn said:
* I am using a 50-feet 12-gauge grounded extension cord between the outlet and the OEM EVSE. Can the cord's length be causing this problem?
I never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, but I'm willing to bet a bundle that you self-diagnosed your problem...

Glenn

I used mine on a GFCI outlet a few times and it was fine, though it did pop prematurely once... You could try replacing the GFCI outlet with a newer model. Yours may be too sensitive.

aqn said:
It seems to me that if the outlet can support 15 amps for that long, why would the OEM EVSE trip the GFCI after less than a minute?
A ground fault involves detecting the presence of a small leakage current. The amount of current the outlet can supply has nothing to do with this. Try another extension cord if possible (only because that's the only easy thing you can try). The EVSE could be faulty, as could the car. But my vote goes with the others--it's usually the outlet itself being too sensitive.

If at all possible try to eliminate the extension cord, at least for a test. Then at least you'll know whether it's the EVSE or not.

garygid said:
Try a non-GFI outlet.

I tried a non-GFI outlet (3-prong outlet) in my garage and the EVSE didn't work. However, when the Blink was installed, the electrician said there was no ground even though it appeared to be a grounded circuit. It did work on the GFCI circuit but I had to use an extension cord from the kitchen to the garage.

The L1 EVSE requires a Ground, or it will refuse to work.

Get your sockets properly Grounded.

If the only grounded socket that is available (even with a heavy-duty extension cord) is the GFI socket, consider having that socket replaced with a properly-grounded non-GFI socket.

garygid said:
If the only grounded socket that is available (even with a heavy-duty extension cord) is the GFI socket, consider having that socket replaced with a properly-grounded non-GFI socket.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying. The current GFI outlet I used for L1 charging (now have Blink installed) is in the kitchen, which is required by code. Why would you suggest it be replaced by grounded non-GFI? I agree the the outlet in the garage needs to be upgraded to a grounded GFI circuit for L1 charging of my LEAF.

In any case, thanks for your many suggestions/observations to the forum which have helped me to better understand the LEAF.

Thanks for all the clues so far.

I tried plugging directly into the GFCI outlet: same result. (I verified that the outlets are on a 20-amp breaker.)
I tried plugging directly into another GFCI outlet (outside outlets, on a different 20-amp braker): same result.
I tried plugging it into the washer's outlet (20-amp, non-GFCI; or rather, there is no GFCI test/reset button on it), just inside the garage, via the same 50-feet 12-gauge extension cord: it's charging fine!

In any case, since I'm sending off the OEM EVSE to evseupgrade.com to get it upgraded, and will have an electrician come & install a 240V outlet in my garage, this is not a pressing/do-or-die problem.

If the socket (like in the kitchen, batheoom, etc.) requires a GFI, do not change it, just do not try to use it for EVSE charging.

Since many GFIs are too sensitive to work reliably with an EVSE, try to use a NON-GFI socket with the EVSE (of course also properly Grounded), a 3-prong (5-15 or 5-20) socket.

In short, do NOT use a GFI socket.

It is OK to try a GFI socket, and OK to use it IF it works with your EVSE and car, but just realize that it MIGHT not work reliably (as you experienced).

It sounds like your GFCI is too sensitive. A non-GFCI outlet is recommended for most EVSE and when you get the modified L1, you'll most likely need a non GFCI 240 volt outlet also. ;) Phil, Chime in anytime.

garygid said:
Since many GFIs are too sensitive to work reliably with an EVSE, try to use a NON-GFI socket with the EVSE (of course also properly Grounded), a 3-prong (5-15 or 5-20) socket.
While I have heard this before and it is possible, I am dubious because I can't really think of a good reason the EVSE should be leaking current to ground.

To the OP: to eliminate the extension cord as the problem, try running your compressor on the extension cord to see if it pops the GFCI. Most likely, if the GFCI is from 1989, it is subject to false trips due to electrical noise from certain loads. A modern GFCI would hopefully be more robust. Or else the extension cord or the OEM EVSE is in fact faulty.

Cheers, Wayne

The trip circuit is spring loaded and wears out causing circuit trips at less than rated voltages. I would try replacing outlet first. They only cost like $10

Better yet, when the EVSE comes back, you'll know for sure that it has no issues. Might be a good idea to include a note that says to check it before they convert it.

garygid said:
The L1 EVSE requires a Ground, or it will refuse to work.

Get your sockets properly Grounded.

FWIW, I turned off the outlet' breaker and opened it up: it is grounded. Or rather, there is a bare copper wire screwed into the outlet's ground screw; I did not verify where the other end of the wire goes, or checked for continuity between it and, say, the outlet's box.

I think I will get an outlet tester per DarkStar and test the outlet's sockets to see what's up, just out of curiosity.

aqn said:
I think I will get an outlet tester per DarkStar and test the outlet's sockets to see what's up, just out of curiosity.
I have one in my adapter bag with an extension cord that is 50 feet of 10-3 and a voltmeter. Never leave home without it! :D

I have only had my car a week and half. I am only using L1 charging. I plug into a standard GFCI at both home at and at work without an extension cord and have never had a single circuit trip (out of about 15 charge cycles, charge durations from 1hr to 10 hrs). I just got my Leviton lighted GFCI outlet and will be installing them at both work and at home ( I like being able to see the outlet in the dark.) If you a relatively recent GFCI outlet or breaker (and not shared with other devices, ie a dedicated outlet and breaker) I would not expect that there would be an issue if your wiring is good. If you still have the problem without the use of an extension cord it may be worthwhile having your wiring looked at by a professional. If the problem goes away without the extension cord and you really need one, get a different cord. It is not worthwhile skimping on he extension cord.

Back