Game Playing Makes Getting EVSE Harder

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luft

I was looking at an EVSE "offered" by SPX and saw that it was offered for the Chevrolet VOLT. I was curious if it would work for the Nissan LEAF because I had read reviews stating that it was much less expensive than other EV service equipment.

http://servicesolutions.spx.com/FullDisplay.aspx?id=26&l=1

So I emailed SPX and requested information. The response surprised me. I would think a company would want to make sales where ever they could but:

Thank you for your inquiry, the plug for the charger is universal.
Unfortunately, at this time, we can only retail to customers who have
purchased the Chevrolet VOLT, who are able to provide a VIN number for
authorization.

Thank you,
Linda

SPX EV Support Customer Service
Phone: 1-877-805-3873
Email: [email protected]
Fax: 1-866-259-1241

Is Chevrolet cutting deals to exclude reasonably priced EVSEs from people who don't buy their hybrid or is it more likely that it isn't compatible with the LEAF? Linda says that "the Plug" is universal but that's not saying that the electronics behind the plug will talk to the LEAF. :?

Bad PR for EVs in general. The plug (and system) are standardized for a reason and should work on any J1772 equipped vehicle. The VIN # requirement will probably be removed once Leaf sales consistently out-strip Volt sales (unless this company isn't in business to make $$).

There is some compatibility problem where the LEAF "toy" charger won't charge a Volt. But ingineer figured it out and can modify it to work. So the deficiency is in the Volt, actually. But anyway my guess is that GM has a little subsidy going so that their customers can get a less-than-shocking price on the EVSE.

gbarry42 said:
There is some compatibility problem where the LEAF "toy" charger won't charge a Volt. But ingineer figured it out and can modify it to work. So the deficiency is in the Volt, actually.
Never heard of this - link ?

evnow said:
gbarry42 said:
There is some compatibility problem where the LEAF "toy" charger won't charge a Volt. But ingineer figured it out and can modify it to work. So the deficiency is in the Volt, actually.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3625

He mentions it in the first post. There's another thread somewhere in the EVSE forum where it is talked about in greater detail. Essentially the unmodified LEAF EVSE has a short delay before applying power; the Volt thinks there is a problem and cycles it's signal back to the EVSE, which starts the delay over. This repeats forever and the charging never starts.

evnow said:
gbarry42 said:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3378

HInt. Anyone check to see if the Volt EVSE is UL listed? Perhaps they only wish to sell them to Volt owners because they are not UL listed yet.

Come on, guys. Forget your conspiracy theories.

(lower price than anyone else) + (available only to Volt owner/lessee) = (subsidy from GM)

I think that's it, plain and simple, as gbarry42 suggested. It's a very reasonable, and legal, business model.

Ray

planet4ever said:

(lower price than anyone else) + (available only to Volt owner/lessee) = (subsidy from GM)

I think that's it, plain and simple, as gbarry42 suggested. It's a very reasonable, and legal, business model.

Ray

Lower prices for some because of a subsidy is fine. But saying "We won't sell to you at any price unless you do business with company B." not so much.

Luft said:
planet4ever said:

Ray

Lower prices for some because of a subsidy is fine. But saying "We won't sell to you at any price unless you do business with company B." not so much.

Naw,, its very simple.. its about Supply.. I am sure the Co making them for GM is in the same situation Nissan was in.. But Because of all that short supply Millbank now has a contract to build them to.. So that means you will not only be able to get a cheaper EVSE via your own electrician, or Electrical Contractor supply house. But they will also sell them in Home depot and Lowes.. So in the next year expect to see them everywhere as MillBank ramps up.. Its just about Supply!.

http://www.delandsheer.com/MilbankNewCarChargerEVSEOverview.pdf

I think it is just a supply issue. GM wants SPX to guaranty immediate availability to GM customers.
Last thing GM wants is to have the Leaf buyers clear out the inventory.

In time this will change.

thew said:
Luft said:
planet4ever said:

Ray

Naw,, its very simple.. its about Supply.. I am sure the Co making them for GM is in the same situation Nissan was in.. But Because of all that short supply Millbank now has a contract to build them to.. So that means you will not only be able to get a cheaper EVSE via your own electrician, or Electrical Contractor supply house. But they will also sell them in Home depot and Lowes.. So in the next year expect to see them everywhere as MillBank ramps up.. Its just about Supply!.

Limited supply I can understand and live with. I hope you're right about that.

I agree that probably in the next few years the price of EVSE will go down. Until then I may go with the L1 upgrade. I can pretty much live with that for some time. I just hope that Ingineer is still doing the upgrades when I get my LEAF.

Limited supply I can understand and live with. I hope you're right about that.

I agree that probably in the next few years the price of EVSE will go down. Until then I may go with the L1 upgrade. I can pretty much live with that for some time. I just hope that Ingineer is still doing the upgrades when I get my LEAF.

You can buy one I did.. just do it!. Its a Smart investment..

I bought a new L1 EVSE through Phil, and had it Upgraded before it
was shipped to me. Now I have two Mod-L1 EVSEs, one for the
garage, and one for the LEAF's cargo area to go wherever the LEAF goes.

thew said:

If you read the lower right corner of their Adobe doc, you'll see that It's just another pretty color wrapped around an AV EVSE.

hill said:
thew said:

If you read the lower right corner of their Adobe doc, you'll see that It's just another pretty color wrapped around an AV EVSE.

No they (AV) licensed Millbank to make them.. Yes its the same unit.. with Red.. So what.. The point is MillBank is going to roll them out at all the Normal Electrical supply location including Lowes Home Depot etc.. So getting them should get easier and much cheaper.

Back