What size portable generator to L2 charge?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrRocket

How about a Honda suitcase generator in the trunk to charge the Leaf with 240 volts whenever you stop on a camping trip in remote areas? Or even 400 volts (I'm not sure who makes one)?

How do you figure out the size you need?

A Honda EU2000i is rated for 2000W, 120v
Weighs 46lbs.

At full 2kW load, it will run 4 hours on 1.1 gallons of gas.

The L1 EVSE uses 1350W. Figure 5 hours, then?

So, a 5hr L1 charge at 1.1 gallons is good for 27 miles, or... 24mpg.

The question was concerning L2 charging. Hopefully, folks can see that a 2kw generator isn't even close?

Sure, you can use teeny, tiny generators, but they won't run the L2 at 6.6kw (240 volts times 27.5 amps) needed from a "real" home type charger. That will take a real generator; not the type that you would want to carry around.

But, if we're talking about a generator to use with the modified Nissan "carry-along charger", presumably at the future 16 amp (3.84kw at 240v) or 20 amp (4.8kw at 240v), then something smaller would work.

You don't have to guess the size. It's simple math. How many amps times volts do you want? And don't be sold on the MAX power... use the rated wattage.

The Honda EU2000i (2kw max, 1.6kw rated, 13.3A) is only 120V. But, it can be connected to another like 47 pound unit to make 3.2kw rated power. Still 120v as far as I know and $1280 each.

The Honda EU3000i 3kw max, 2.6kw rated (21.7A) can also be connected to a second generator for 5.2kw rated. 78 lbs each, $2600 each.

To get the 240 volts in a Honda, you'll need the EU6500iS. 120/240V 6.5kw max, 5.5kw rated (45.8 amps @ 120 volts / 22.9A @ 240V)

Starting System: Recoil (pull) and electric!

Dry Weight 260 lbs, $4500 each (only one required).

Well that ends that idea.

Thank you for the input.

Cold fusion anyone, anyone.....Buehler? :lol:

Sams Club has a generator with a Honda engine, 240v , 7kW for $999

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod3550002&navAction=push

Not exactly portable. I looked at this in the store, and it would work nicely with Ingineer's 240v modified EVSE.

I don't think it would quite fit in the rear of the car, plus I don't want to stink up my Leaf with gasoline smell.

It would make sense as a rescue service in a tow truck. Rather than towing the Leaf, simply recharge it at the roadside for 30 minutes and then drive to the nearest socket for more charging.

As EVs become more common, I would expect this service to become available...

GroundLoop said:
So, a 5hr L1 charge at 1.1 gallons is good for 27 miles, or... 24mpg.
Thanks for working that one out for us.

I probably don't need to remind our readers that if you want to charge your battery from a gasoline generator, you can get that already set up for you. Chevrolet makes one :D And while you'll spend a bit more, you can get 37 MPG with it.

AmarilloLeaf said:
Sams Club has a generator with a Honda engine, 240v , 7kW for $999.

Be sure any generator is safe for electronics (the Honda's are) and use their "rated KW", continuous duty power rating, not the advertised peak rating.

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/05/25/angel-labs-commercializes-massive-yet-tiny-engine/

Not too many recent replies here. I find that the notion of charging an electric car with a petrol genset a horror to many EVdrivers. Problem is unless you live in California, you are not able to take your Leaf more than 100 miles at best away from the lower half of Michigan (and most other states) and not have to beg for a charge and risk being charged with electricity theft. Michigan has many beautiful campgrounds that rival anything I have seen in CA, but no electricity back in the north woods. A quiet 120v genset allows me to camp in back country surroundings without driving my gas burning Prius 400 miles at 50+ mpg to just get to a lake side campground. A limited amount of petrol is better than the whole load to get me up there. Please be aware..I'm trying what I can do to further the cause. We certainly don't need flak from behind our own lines !! I wish there was a Honda 4000i with 4K at 240V like my Craftsman construction genset that peaks at 4000W (~17A at 240V) and will charge my leaf but weighs 175lbs and sounds like a farm tractor. Plus, won't fit in the leaf trunk !!!

Chuck O

I was looking into getting an EU2000i. If I could find a good deal somewhere, I would probably get it. But I don't think I would use it all that often. Charging for 5 hours or so burning 1 gallon of gas just to get 25 miles of range probably won't happen except just a couple times a year.

The EU2000 is a good choice, quiet and reliable, it will just take a while to do the job.. that should be ok if you plan to camp for a couple of days. Please dont run the generator at night, it will irritate other campers.

You can also get a small trailer and haul a bigger generator, plus gasoline and camping supplies. It will keep the smell of gas outside the car. Many camping sites have electricity available.

I keep thinking of 7 or 8 250w solar panels that you bring out of the Leaf and spread out on the ground.. perhaps with a folding metal frame to hold them in place at the proper angle.

I really dislike the drone of even the quietest generator when out camping.
And for hours on end to charge on L1... I would just want to leave.
H2000 is not exactly quiet running at near full power.

TonyWilliams said:
The question was concerning L2 charging. Hopefully, folks can see that a 2kw generator isn't even close?

Sure, you can use teeny, tiny generators, but they won't run the L2 at 6.6kw (240 volts times 27.5 amps) needed from a "real" home type charger. That will take a real generator; not the type that you would want to carry around.

But, if we're talking about a generator to use with the modified Nissan "carry-along charger", presumably at the future 16 amp (3.84kw at 240v) or 20 amp (4.8kw at 240v), then something smaller would work.

You don't have to guess the size. It's simple math. How many amps times volts do you want? And don't be sold on the MAX power... use the rated wattage.

The Honda EU2000i (2kw max, 1.6kw rated, 13.3A) is only 120V. But, it can be connected to another like 47 pound unit to make 3.2kw rated power. Still 120v as far as I know and $1280 each.

The Honda EU3000i 3kw max, 2.6kw rated (21.7A) can also be connected to a second generator for 5.2kw rated. 78 lbs each, $2600 each.

To get the 240 volts in a Honda, you'll need the EU6500iS. 120/240V 6.5kw max, 5.5kw rated (45.8 amps @ 120 volts / 22.9A @ 240V)

Starting System: Recoil (pull) and electric!

Dry Weight 260 lbs, $4500 each (only one required).
I have a method to successfully connect 2 Honda EU2000i's to one of our upgraded EVSE's limited to 13A (3.1kW), and it does indeed work.

Otherwise Tony is right, it's hardly potable if you want full Level II. (3.84kW needed) You'd be hard pressed to even such fit the needed EU6500is generator into the Leaf without folding the seats down. It also weighs about 270lbs, so you'll need at least two strong people to extract it for charging.

However, one EU2000i can charge at 1.44kW fine, so if you've got the time, it's feasible.

Note that with any generator, you will have to provide a system to safely satisfy the EVSE ground requirement, otherwise most EVSE's simply will not work. I have a how-to on this in one of the other generator threads.

-Phil

If it were possible to engineer a portable generator with size, weight and quietness of the EU2000 that put out 3.3kw at 240V and had a four foot J1772 cable/plug that would make a pretty sweet accessory.

LTLFTcomposite said:
If it were possible to engineer a portable generator with size, weight and quietness of the EU2000 that put out 3.3kw at 240V and had a four foot J1772 cable/plug that would make a pretty sweet accessory.
NOW, How much would you Pay?!? =)

It's always possible, but given the extremely low quantities such a device would be sold at, expect it to cost upwards of a quarter million to be worth making.

Honda couldn't even do it, so it's unlikely you'll ever see it unless you want to pay someone megabucks.

-Phil

The Honda EU2000i (2kw max, 1.6kw rated, 13.3A) is only 120V. But, it can be connected to another like 47 pound unit to make 3.2kw rated power.

To put two Hondas together requires the "Companion" EU2000i(A) with built-in 30-amp receptacle makes it easy to connect to a standard EU2000i model with simple parallel cables for power to run rooftop RV air conditioners and more.

Yamaha EF2000ISC Lightweight Generator does not require two different generators (like the Hondas above) to make a 30amps. Connect two EF2000iS generators in-line wtih a Twin Tech cable and output for Max 30AMPs and Rated 25 AMPs of power, however the Yamaha 25 amps total rated is lower than Honda pair rating of 26.6 amps.

I have a method to successfully connect 2 Honda EU2000i's to one of our upgraded EVSE's limited to 13A (3.1kW), and it does indeed work.

Ok, 120v * 26.6a max = 3192 watts max continuous, so you're right at the limit. How do we get a switched 13a to 16a Panasonic ? Wait a minute, is that 120v or 240v? I don't think those generators are making 240v. You're not putting 26 amps through the Panasonic ??????

TonyWilliams said:
Ok, 120v * 26.6a max = 3192 watts max continuous, so you're right at the limit. How do we get a switched 13a to 16a Panasonic ? Wait a minute, is that 120v or 240v? I don't think those generators are making 240v. You're not putting 26 amps through the Panasonic ??????
I use two EU2000's in series with a special circuit. This produces 240v, then I use an EVSE programmed for 13A. I can easily set an EVSE to any amperage I choose here in the Lab, but there is no easy way to make it adjustable in the field.

-Phil

Back