mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Re: Do It Yourself: 240v from two 120v sources

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:27 pm

Ingineer wrote:I call this the "Danger: This sign has sharp edges" phenomenon.

What he said!

I was going to post a picture of the "Caution: This sign has sharp edges" sign. But then happened upon a picture of a naked chick with a "Will work for sex" cardboard sign and got a bit distracted. :D
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 86,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:32 pm

GeekEV wrote:Can someone elaborate on why you'd want the 120v switch? I must be missing something. Seems to me if you want 120v, just don't use this device at all... ;)
Well, I use it for testing. There are a lot of possible uses, one is that it can be used on only one outlet in 120v mode, so it allows the same unit to double as a 8 foot long 120v adapter in the event you can't find 2 non GFCI circuits.

Scenario: You get your "Easy240" out, search for plugs, but cannot locate 2 on opposing circuits, so you simply throw the switch to 120v and not have to deal with another trip to the trunk to retrieve the 120v adapter.

Another: You are plugged into 2 circuits in your kitchen, but your wife wants to make you some toast and cord #2 is sharing the outlet with the toaster. Rather than unplug your car completely, she can simply switch the toggle over and the car will continue charging on 120v while your toast is being made. Then when she is done, she can kick it back to 240v. The car will never stop charging, and you won't have to go reset anything.

-Phil
Last edited by Ingineer on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/[/size] - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

Ingineer

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:35 pm

mwalsh wrote:
Ingineer wrote:I call this the "Danger: This sign has sharp edges" phenomenon.

What he said!

I was going to post a picture of the "Caution: This sign has sharp edges" sign. But then happened upon a picture of a naked chick with a "Will work for sex" cardboard sign and got a bit distracted. :D

:D
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/[/size] - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:38 pm

Ingineer wrote:
GeekEV wrote:Can someone elaborate on why you'd want the 120v switch? I must be missing something. Seems to me if you want 120v, just don't use this device at all... ;)
Another: You are plugged into 2 circuits in a kitchen room, but your wife wants to make you some toast and cord #2 is sharing the outlet with the toaster. Rather than unplug your car completely, she can simply switch the toggle over and the car will continue charging on 120v while your toast is being made. Then when she is done, she can kick it back to 240v. The car will never stop charging, and you won't have to go reset anything.
I hadn't thought of that scenario. Yeah, I could see that being useful to some people...

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

TEG

Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:13 pm

Ingineer wrote:I call this the "Danger: This sign has sharp edges" phenomenon. We are so concerned with liability that we try hard to protect people from everything, including their own stupidity. The big problem is this kind of thinking actually breeds stupidity! When I was a kid, the playground was a rough place. There were about a thousand ways to seriously hurt yourself. You quickly learned to hone that self-preservation instinct and not kill yourself in a freak monkey-bar accident. Has anyone seen a playground lately? They are all neoprene-coated, safety-padded, non-toxic, yellow stickered, no unattended childen allowed places! We are slowly removing the impetus for people to think for themselves and learn from their mistakes. If you don't make mistakes, you can't learn from them, it's that simple. We are closing parks because they have "dangerous" places, like cliffs without safety railings and on-duty safety officers. It's insanity! So excuse me if I react unkindly to FUD.
Book: 50 Dangerous Things You Should Let Your Children Do

GeekEV

Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:15 pm

Ingineer wrote:It does not matter if the buzzer/light work on 120v, as they will never see that unless you have the switch. If you plug the 2 plugs into the same circuit it will see 0v, and on opposing circuits it will see 240v. The only way it would ever have 120v is with the switch option which you are omitting.
Wouldn't it also see 120v if one of the sockets is wired wrong? You'd still flip both relays, but would be bridging a hot and neutral - so 120v... Right? <still learning>

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter

Ingineer

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:57 pm

GeekEV wrote:
Ingineer wrote:It does not matter if the buzzer/light work on 120v, as they will never see that unless you have the switch. If you plug the 2 plugs into the same circuit it will see 0v, and on opposing circuits it will see 240v. The only way it would ever have 120v is with the switch option which you are omitting.
Wouldn't it also see 120v if one of the sockets is wired wrong? You'd still flip both relays, but would be bridging a hot and neutral - so 120v... Right? <still learning>
Correct! Although this is pretty rare.

-Phil

davewill

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:08 pm

Not wanting to try and build the LED/buzzer circuit, I was thinking that I could cannibalize a simple 2 wire voltage tester for my "circuits OK" light. (Yeah, no buzzer.)
Although, with the relays in there, you could, I suppose, just plug in the EVSE and look for it's green light :shock: ...OK maybe not. As far as the Hot-Neutral problem, GeekEV, I already threw a regular 3-pin socket tester in my kit. Figured it was cheap insurance.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

johnr
Delivery Date: 11 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2151

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:55 pm

I'm trying to think of how useful such a device would be. In my garage I can use the dryer plug or have another 240V outlet installed. So this would be something to bring when going on a long trip. But in a location where there are two out of phase 120V outlets, there is likely to be a 240V outlet as well, right? For that matter, in most places where there is 120V, there's likely to be 240V. So, what would be the advantage? Maybe it's easier to ask to borrow a 120V outlet. But to have two long cords strewn across the place to get at two outlets might be too much of an imposition to one's guest. I'm just not sure...
My trip to Mineral King and the value of regen

Charging stations, electrical adapters, and portable CHAdeMO quick chargers

2011 upgrade: Fossil < Leaf. 2014 upgrade: Leaf < imiev. 2017 upgrade: imiev < tesla. Done upgrading.

GeekEV

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:10 pm

davewill wrote:As far as the Hot-Neutral problem, GeekEV, I already threw a regular 3-pin socket tester in my kit. Figured it was cheap insurance.
I picked up a $20 digital multimeter at Radio Shack for the same purpose. Not as simple to use though. :)
johnr wrote:But in a location where there are two out of phase 120V outlets, there is likely to be a 240V outlet as well, right?
At someone's house (particularly if its a recent construction) - yes. In retail locations, not likely. Or, if they do, they're either in use or not in a location accessible to you. From what I'm given to understand, many outdoor 120v outlets tend to be on dedicated circuits. This is particularly true if you have a public charger location with outdated paddles (or something you can't use) - you could still use them by grabbing two 120v outlets if they offer them (many do). But I tend to agree, for me I don't see this being that useful, but the DIY version seems pretty cost effective so I may do it anyway.

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”