thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Re: Padlock choices for Nissan's portable EVSE J1772 plug

Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:51 am

the small shackle is good and I have bought a master lock with a key, but in a pinch you can use a standard shackled that loops around the EVSE cord and also around the "shackle" of the charging door fastener.
I did that the first time when I did not have time to get the master lock with the thin shackle.

using the standard shackle, the lock nicely attaches the EVSE to the charger door. A thief could rip both off with some effort and a hammer and/or crowbar, but it would take a few minutes and lots of noise.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:19 pm

JimSouCal wrote:
JimSouCal wrote:I lock the EVSE in the trunk, fed by a 50 foot 10/3 extension cord from Harbor Freight Tools--feel more secure about that for both the extension and the EVSE charge block--done it a few times and seems okay.
out the trunk and to the front of the car. the evse cord is smaller (and seems less rugged than the extension)

over time this may wear on the finish of the edge. I am going to experiment to see is a door may work better than the trunk at some point. one could also use a slightly lowered window, but it would look funny and be less secure.
I still don't get it. How do you close the trunk tightly enough to lock the car if you have the J1772 cord and the other extension cord sticking out of the trunk? Surely you don't want to force slam the trunk on both cables?

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:48 pm

[/quote]I still don't get it. How do you close the trunk tightly enough to lock the car if you have the J1772 cord and the other extension cord sticking out of the trunk? Surely you don't want to force slam the trunk on both cables?[/quote]

that makes 3 of us.

JimSouCal

Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Volusiano wrote:
JimSouCal wrote:
JimSouCal wrote:I lock the EVSE in the trunk, fed by a 50 foot 10/3 extension cord from Harbor Freight Tools--feel more secure about that for both the extension and the EVSE charge block--done it a few times and seems okay.
out the trunk and to the front of the car. the evse cord is smaller (and seems less rugged than the extension)

over time this may wear on the finish of the edge. I am going to experiment to see is a door may work better than the trunk at some point. one could also use a slightly lowered window, but it would look funny and be less secure.
I still don't get it. How do you close the trunk tightly enough to lock the car if you have the J1772 cord and the other extension cord sticking out of the trunk? Surely you don't want to force slam the trunk on both cables?
It closes without much force at all. I have done it several times with no apparent ill result, but it is not my normal practice. When I fly out of LAX again, I will charge level 1 and use this method at one of the main structure 120VAC outlets, for example.

Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:05 pm

JimSouCal wrote:It closes without much force at all. I have done it several times with no apparent ill result, but it is not my normal practice. When I fly out of LAX again, I will charge level 1 and use this method at one of the main structure 120VAC outlets, for example.
I tried it at the bottom right corner with just the J1772 cord only and not the extension cord yet, and already felt some resistance and the trunk door only closes half way but not all the way. I did not want to chance risking damage to the cord by slamming the trunk door down all the way.

Maybe you found a "sweet spot" where the cord can be the most out of the way. Can you tell us where specifically you position the cords when you do this? And do you position both cords (the J1772 and the 120V or 240V extension cord) at the same spot or do you spread them out. A pic would really help.

omkar
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2011

Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:39 pm

I posted this in another thread:
omkar wrote: It took a few tries but I managed to find a lock for the J1772 connector on the Nissan L1 EVSE:
Master Lock 131T

The 5mm shackle diameter fits just right.

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:36 pm

I found a similar one at a Target store, but I discarded the packaging and haven't been able to find a website ad for it. It is a brushed gold color with no model number marked and is distributed by Brinks. Based on feel as I insert the key it appears to have 4 tumblers.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:44 am

Volusiano wrote: Maybe you found a "sweet spot" where the cord can be the most out of the way. Can you tell us where specifically you position the cords when you do this?
His hatchback door may warped just so that it provides clearance, or perhaps yours is warped so that it does not.. could also be an issue with the adjustment of the latch.

You could also run an extension out of a hole on the bottom of the car.

z0ner
Delivery Date: 18 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 0909

Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:24 am

omkar wrote:I posted this in another thread:
omkar wrote: It took a few tries but I managed to find a lock for the J1772 connector on the Nissan L1 EVSE:
Master Lock 131T

The 5mm shackle diameter fits just right.
I grabbed one when Omkar initially posted this, and it works great (thanks). IMO, the tumblers can be opened too easily.

sparky
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:49 am

JimSouCal wrote: When I fly out of LAX again, I will charge level 1 and use this method at one of the main structure 120VAC outlets, for example.
While I like the idea of securing the L1 EVSE electronics, bear in mind that at the ChargePoint stations, the 120V outlet is behind a locking door. So, if you were to plug in and park there for 2-weeks, no one else can use that station's 120V supply until you return and unlock with your CP card. At least with the L2 connection, we can move it from one EV to another. One solution might be to use an extension cord that would allow someone to come along hours/days later and unplug your EVSE and plug in theirs (until you return of course).

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”