kevini
Delivery Date: 26 Sep 2012
Leaf Number: 022607

Re: San Francisco Bay Area Quick Chargers Getting them soone

Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:54 pm

Interesting, it seems to be an AV DCFC per the picture, that will be a first for this area.

I will definitely use it, getting to Napa currently for me is doable but this makes it much quicker.

GRA

Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:43 pm

Per Plugshare, there will soon be a CHAdeMO in Pt. Reyes Station! I've been lobbying Coulomb and Ecotality to put one in the town for a couple of years to enable access to all of Pt. Reyes as well as Tomales Bay and Hwy 1 north, but it appears this one will be by somebody else and will include a CREDIT CARD READER. It won't be cheap, $0.79/kWh, but it's there along with L2 at $0.39/kWh. See

http://sunspeedenterprises.com/our-network/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Someone besides Tesla finally seems to be listening to EV owners.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:49 pm

Livermore EVGO DC up and running, as reported on plugshare, which should help give South bay LEAFs a more direct route east.

EVGo's own map also shows a second DC coming to Vacaville soon.

http://www.evgonetwork.com/find-a-station/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We are now seeing the DC network extend beyond the Bay area, of course.

Anyone heard anything about the San Joaquin Valley between (Nissan) Elk Grove and (DC being installed at Nissan) Bakersfield? I'd sure like to see one in the Stockton area, to get me closer to Yosemite.

I expect we'll have to wait for the EVGO stations to finish connecting the Bay area to SoCal.
no condition is permanent

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:01 pm

edatoakrun wrote:Anyone heard anything about the San Joaquin Valley between (Nissan) Elk Grove and (DC being installed at Nissan) Bakersfield?
When they do, I hope they focus on Ca-99 rather than I-5. Fresno (pop >500,000) is a lot more important than Coalinga (pop <15,000). Ca-152 is also important, as the route to anywhere in the southern two-thirds of the San Joaquin Valley from Silicon Valley.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

jsongster
Delivery Date: 03 Sep 2013

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:10 am

I completely agree that 99 is preferable to i5... more things to do... serves local populations better... our state should install free dc at all rest stops too. Finish the west coast electric highway!
Wanted an EV forever. Now driving a 2013 LEAF SL. The car keeps living up to the promise, and CHAdeMO chargers keep extending my range!
7.4kW of power from 34 panels. Solar Powered Driving is hot!
Imagine a world w/o gasoline. No blood for oil.

GRA

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:40 pm

jsongster wrote:I completely agree that 99 is preferable to i5... more things to do... serves local populations better... our state should install free dc at all rest stops too. Finish the west coast electric highway!
While I'm in agreement with you and Ray that QCs belong along 99 and not I-5, the range of current (non-Tesla) BEVs is just too short to justify putting them at rest stops. Very few people will choose to drive anywhere in their BEV that requires more than one enroute QC (each way), so realistically that limits a car like the LEAF's practical radius to maybe 125 miles. That makes putting them along Hwy 99 to enable travel to the next city but one valuable, but it doesn't justify trying to drive to Oregon or Reno from the Bay Area, stopping for a QC every 40-50 miles. Almost anyone with a choice will take a car on such routes that doesn't waste so much of their time.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:46 am

We have dozens who do exactly that. A 200 - 300 mile trip is not unusual when there are chargers every 25-30 miles
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 412 mi, 99.72% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TimLee
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:17 am

GRA wrote:
jsongster wrote:... our state should install free dc at all rest stops too. Finish the west coast electric highway!
... the range of current (non-Tesla) BEVs is just too short to justify putting them at rest stops. Very few people will choose to drive anywhere in their BEV that requires more than one enroute QC (each way), so realistically that limits a car like the LEAF's practical radius to maybe 125 miles. ... it doesn't justify trying to drive to Oregon or Reno from the Bay Area, stopping for a QC every 40-50 miles. Almost anyone with a choice will take a car on such routes that doesn't waste so much of their time.
DaveinOlyWA wrote:We have dozens who do exactly that. A 200 - 300 mile trip is not unusual when there are chargers every 25-30 miles
GRA is correct that MOST people's typical use of a LEAF will be less than 125 miles per day. DaveinOlyWA is correct that there are dozens of LEAF owners that have done 200 - 300 mile trips.
But I believe those dozens are a very small percentage of people using LEAFs

But not having DCQC available closely spaced along routes between cities that are only 100 to 200 miles apart is a very bad thing for LEAF range EVs.
The LEAF needs frequently spaced DCQC with at least two DCQC at each location along all major interconnection routes between cities.
To not have that is a huge negative.

Most people want the LEAF to be able to make that trip, although it likely will usually be only once or maybe twice per year. People do not want the only way to make that trip to be hopping between RV parks with a 240V portable EVSE.

The problem with eV Project funded DCQC in TN is that they are too far apart to support the LEAF range at 65 mph with hardly any LEAF battery capacity degradation, and there is only one DCQC at each location. DCQC lengthy time to get a repair done has shown each location needs at least two DCQC.
The Tesla model is correct.
But with the LEAF range, the DCQC spacing needs to be no farther apart than 35 miles, and at least two DCQC at each location.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

DaveEV
Forum Supporter

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:30 am

TimLee wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:We have dozens who do exactly that. A 200 - 300 mile trip is not unusual when there are chargers every 25-30 miles
GRA is correct that MOST people's typical use of a LEAF will be less than 125 miles per day. DaveinOlyWA is correct that there are dozens of LEAF owners that have done 200 - 300 mile trips.
But I believe those dozens are a very small percentage of people using LEAFs

But not having DCQC available closely spaced along routes between cities that are only 100 to 200 miles apart is a very bad thing for LEAF range EVs.
The LEAF needs frequently spaced DCQC with at least two DCQC at each location along all major interconnection routes between cities.
To not have that is a huge negative.
+1 everywhere there, Tim. Failing having redundant QCs at a single location, there should be another QC within 5 miles and also multiple J1772 stations available too (for non-QC vehicles, backup and longer term parking).

For example, I will drive from San Diego out past Julian (a popular destination) occasionally which is over 50 miles but uphill so I need to charge. There's one very well placed Blink QC on the route just short of the last climb into Julian (Santa Ysabel for the locals), but it's had reliability issues. The L2 stations there have been down for months. The only other stations nearby is 15 miles earlier up the road in Ramona - 3 Blink L2 stations - but reliability there has been iffy, too.

Ideally there'd be QC stations in both spots along with multiple L2 stations for backup/PHEV charging. But as it is now, I'd be very hesitant to make the trip. Heck - if I could simply know when the last time a station was successfully used, that would give me much greater confidence when traveling out in areas where there may not be much available in the way of backup charging.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:49 am

Email from NRG, with a few new stations updated, and 22 more mentioned as in-process.:
Greetings!

We're happy to announce that our commitment to electric vehicle charging in California is at full speed. At NRG eVgo, our goal is to make EV charging easy - because it really is!

19 Freedom Station® Sites Now Open

or Under Construction

BTW, this is only the beginning!

We have another 22 station permits under evaluation by the responsible permitting jurisdiction, and hope to get these into construction in the near future.

These stations have Level 2 and DC fast chargers and are conveniently located in major retail centers. Here's an update on what we have been working on to make the most of your electric fueling experience.

San Francisco Bay Area

Now Open - Find a Station

Whole Foods - 2001 Market Street, San Francisco, CA, 94114
Westlake Shopping Center - 247 Lake Merced Blvd, Daly City, CA, 94015
Public Market - 5959 Shellmound, Emeryville, CA, 94608
Northgate Mall - 5800 Northgate Mall, San Rafael, CA, 94903
Whole Foods - 3111 Mowry Ave, Freemont, CA, 94538
Vacaville Premium Outlets - 321 Nut Tree Road, Suite 2, Vacaville, CA, 956
Livermore Premium Outlets - 2774 Paragon Outlets Drive, Livermore, CA, 94551
Under Construction

Walgreens - 1175 Columbus Ave, San Francisco, CA, 94133
Whole Foods- 790 De Long Ave, Novato, CA 94945