GlennD
Delivery Date: 20 May 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Re: OpenEVSE - Open Source Charging Station

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:52 pm

How did this get into the OpenEvse thread?
:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e
White Ioniq limited.It sits just fine

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:31 am

GlennD wrote:How did this get into the OpenEvse thread?
Good question! And did you mean Rinnai? I have one and love it too so I'm just wondering....

GlennD
Delivery Date: 20 May 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:18 pm

I used autocorrect and I did not notice the error. I was in the plumbing section of the DIY forum but my reply ended up here. Oh well, no harm done. I truly love my tankless water heater and I would not go back.

The only thing I see is that they are running the same software and my reply wanted me to log on.
:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e
White Ioniq limited.It sits just fine

tushar
Delivery Date: 17 Jul 2019

Re: Open EVSE

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:47 pm

91040 wrote:Is a bigger enclosure enough or is venting required?
GlennD wrote:Contactors typically draw about 15W so they need airflow. A small box will likely cause excessive temperatures. Many times the contractor is placed in airflow and never gets hot. The outside half of an air conditioner is like that.
I think you have to calculate the heat, it might require a big enclosure with venting or even air condition enclosure. Which rating standard are you using? NEMA rating or IP standard? I found this site might be valuable if you looking for NEMA electrical enclosures. They provide many types and design including addon features like hinges, couplings, wheels, air condition, and many more. My company did order from them recently and everything worked out fine. https://www.nemaco.com, to study for type and protection recommend study from https://www.nema.org/pages/default.aspx and https://www.nema.org/Products/Documents ... -types.pdf

paulito99
Delivery Date: 09 Aug 2013

OpenEVSE : white fluffy stuff; melt-y Busse fuses; 2020 Leaf EVSE?

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:51 am

Hi all - hope it was OK to post this as a reply on the OpenEVSE sticky.
I have three questions; any insight / advice is greatly appreciated!

1) I have an OpenEVSE box from 2014 and rarely have had to open it. I had to replace the fuses recently, and when I opened it up, some white fluffy material was inside; see the following three pics in my Drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Anyone know what this white fluffy stuff is? I vacuumed it away easily. Should I be concerned?

2) Same OpenEVSE box: the fuse holders have shown some heat damage. I actually replaced these fuse holders before. See the following two pics:
Anyone else see melted fuse holders? Is there a workaround / more updated parts I should use from the original 2014 BOM?
I've actually had to ratchet the OpenEVSE down to 20A; prior to that, higher amperage settings kept blowing the fuses.

3) I recently got a 2020 Leaf Plus; it comes with an EVSE indicating 30A with a NEMA 14-50 plug.
The 2014 OpenEVSE uses a NEMA 6-30R locking receptacle. I ran #8 AWG from my 30A circuit breaker to the receptacle when I had this circuit installed.
I was thinking of getting a 6-30-to-14-50 adapter, and plugging the stock EVSE into my circuit; I figure the wiring can handle it, and worst case the 30A circuit breaker would go off, if the (approx assumed) 27.5A continuous charge load was too much.
Anyone else have experience trying the stock EVSE on a 30A circuit breaker, or if this is not a good idea?

Hey thanks for anyone's input on any of the above, and Happy New Year
- Paulito

fotajoye
Delivery Date: 25 Oct 2020

Re: OpenEVSE : white fluffy stuff; melt-y Busse fuses; 2020 Leaf EVSE?

Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:07 pm

paulito99 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:51 am
Hi all - hope it was OK to post this as a reply on the OpenEVSE sticky.
I have three questions; any insight / advice is greatly appreciated!

1) I have an OpenEVSE box from 2014 and rarely have had to open it. I had to replace the fuses recently, and when I opened it up, some white fluffy material was inside; see the following three pics in my Drive folder:
Anyone know what this white fluffy stuff is? I vacuumed it away easily. Should I be concerned?

2) Same OpenEVSE box: the fuse holders have shown some heat damage. I actually replaced these fuse holders before. See the following two pics:
Anyone else see melted fuse holders? Is there a workaround / more updated parts I should use from the original 2014 BOM?
I've actually had to ratchet the OpenEVSE down to 20A; prior to that, higher amperage settings kept blowing the fuses.

3) I recently got a 2020 Leaf Plus; it comes with an EVSE indicating 30A with a NEMA 14-50 plug.
The 2014 OpenEVSE uses a NEMA 6-30R locking receptacle. I ran #8 AWG from my 30A circuit breaker to the receptacle when I had this circuit installed.
I was thinking of getting a 6-30-to-14-50 adapter, and plugging the stock EVSE into my circuit; I figure the wiring can handle it, and worst case the 30A circuit breaker would go off, if the (approx assumed) 27.5A continuous charge load was too much.
Anyone else have experience trying the stock EVSE on a 30A circuit breaker, or if this is not a good idea?

Hey thanks for anyone's input on any of the above, and Happy New Year
- Paulito
1. Insects or fungus maybe?
2. Assuming the fuse contacts will handle 30 amps , clean the fuses and contacts well and make sure you don't have contact resistance at the fuses; with the heavy gage wire any heating resistance will more likely be at the fuses.
3. I used my Open EVSE on my 2011 until recently when I purchased a used 2019 Leaf...the onboard charger now draws 28 amps which works fine. My circuit is a 40 amp breaker, 10 gage wire to a 30 amp fuse switch box with an L6-30 socket to the Open EVSE. I would like more head room; but, I feel the circuit is protected OK with the 30 amp fuses.
I also have the Nissan EVSE with the 14-50 plug; but, since my Open EVSE work OK, I just keep it in the car and intend to use it with the 120 volt adapter if I need to trickle charge. I'll wire it in if my Open EVSE goes away.

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:08 pm

1. No idea but I'd at least clean it up before using the unit again.
2. That looks pretty scary to me. Melted parts are dangerous and show either a circuit design fault or circuit component fault or misuse.
3. 8 AWG Cu wire of just about any type is rated for 40A or more. I'd replace the circuit breaker and upgrade the circuit to 40A.https://www.cerrowire.com/products/reso ... ty-charts/

salyavin
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2019
Leaf Number: 318726

Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:25 pm

I would upgrade it too you really don't want a sustained load over 80% of what it is rated for. I actually had a 50amp circuit put in mine and my for some future car. Some people I know went higher as the labor is the main cost. I actually rolled it in and had the master electrictian do it as part of my solar install.

JeremyW
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 19136

Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:28 pm

Is anyone interested in OpenEVSE parts? I have a Barbouri through hole version, and a v4 SMD board, along with an RGB display and some other odds and ends. No complete EVSE, no J1772 cables. Free, just paypal me actual shipping costs. PM me if interested.
Former 2012 SL leasee 6/23/12 - 9/23/15
Former Fit EV leasee.
Now driving Spark EV and Model 3.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”