rclams

Re: Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:44 pm

Our Blink was installed 9 days ago (although the installers did not have the "Car in a Box Tester" with them), LEAF arrived 3 days ago.

Blink connected into our WiFi network first time and was rock solid for queries and reviewing settings.

Partially charged the car three times since Friday, with the Blink starting a charge immediately upon connection (no timers).

Today I asked the installers to bring the "Car in a Box Tester" by to test our Blink. Oops.

After the tech performed the tests (twice, in about two minutes), the Blink lost WiFi connectivity, and when I went to the garage to fiddle with it the screen locked up. Darn! First hiccup since install.

I "pulled the plug" on the Blink, plugged it back in after about 10 seconds. Plugged the J1772 into the car, heard the relay engage (and confirmed that charging started), but the screen locked up asking for my PIN and still no WiFi. Ack!

Called the Blink contact center (1-888-998-2545) and after confirming that I had the latest firmware (L2R.1.2A), they started a trouble ticket.

Then I unplugged the Blink and left to walk the dog. Plugged the Blink back in 15 minutes later and was then prompted for the full setup routine (calibrating the screen, selecting DHCP, etc.).

Yay! WiFi kicked in and charging was normal.

I even had a "Charging Suspended by Utility" event around 6:30pm which stopped the charge for about 20 minutes (displaying a BRIGHT RED message on the Blink screen and web browser) and then re-engaged exactly at the time specified (we're served by PG&E). Perhaps this was the Blink techs "exercising/testing" my Blink?

Anyway, I called the Blink contact center to say that I had a functional Blink again - they are very polite and I think they really know what they are doing.

Of course, I guess the Blink is a bit "delicate" if the "Car in a Box" device can put it into a zapped state. :roll:

cdaveb

Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:11 pm

sdbonez wrote:So I just got off the phone with my electrical contractor who asked whether I'd mind charging my Leaf via Level 1 for awhile...the reason being that my EVSE install (EV Project) is behind schedule and I just got my 7-day delivery email.

Any other EV Project participants get their car before their EVSE? If not, I may be on-track to be the first. Can't decide whether I'll just let it sit at the dealer or whether I'll pick it up early if that happens...
When I spoke to Nissan before, I was told that they wouldn't allow you to even participate in the project if you took delivery of the car before the charger install. Is that not the case? I've been approved for the project and I'm supposed to be getting my Leaf the week of April 1st, but I still haven't had them schedule a charger install. I'm perfectly happy to work off level 1 charging for a few weeks as I rarely drive long distances, but I don't want to screw up my option to participate in the program by taking delivery of my car before they do my charger.

davewill

Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:16 pm

cdaveb wrote:
sdbonez wrote:So I just got off the phone with my electrical contractor who asked whether I'd mind charging my Leaf via Level 1 for awhile...the reason being that my EVSE install (EV Project) is behind schedule and I just got my 7-day delivery email.

Any other EV Project participants get their car before their EVSE? If not, I may be on-track to be the first. Can't decide whether I'll just let it sit at the dealer or whether I'll pick it up early if that happens...
When I spoke to Nissan before, I was told that they wouldn't allow you to even participate in the project if you took delivery of the car before the charger install. Is that not the case? I've been approved for the project and I'm supposed to be getting my Leaf the week of April 1st, but I still haven't had them schedule a charger install. I'm perfectly happy to work off level 1 charging for a few weeks as I rarely drive long distances, but I don't want to screw up my option to participate in the program by taking delivery of my car before they do my charger.
I can't imagine it would, but the folks to talk to are the EVProject people. I found them very responsive. I just went to here http://www.theevproject.com/contact.php and emailed the regional office for my area. I got a call back in a couple hours.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

bsavall
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:42 pm

We take delivery of our Leaf, tomorrow (3/30/2011) and our Blink Charger was just installed last week. However, due to issues between SDGE and Ecotality, the installer (SunWest) did not have permission to install the new meter so we are not in the rate study at this point.

The rules for Leaf Participation have been amended quite a bit with no notification to the participants as best I can tell. Here is information that I have verified from SDGE rep and Ecotoality REP.

Originally, Leaf Owners who are part of free charger pilot study were required to get the Ecotality Blink unit installed AND participate in the rate study program. That has changed, such that pilot study participants still get a free charger, but do NOT need to participate in the SDGE rate study program, rather are given the option. (I think because SDGE did not disclose that the users would need a separate meter.)

Brad
State : CA
Metro area/city : San Diego 92123
Color/trim: Pearl White
Charging: Ecotality Blink and 2.4 kW AC solar PV system

jcesare
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1290

Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:33 am

Sunwest just completed the install in a little under 3 hours. They did a great job. Now all I need is the inspection and the meter installed. SDG&E informed me that I'll be on the the L (low spread) rate plan. Hopefully I'm still on track to get my car next week.

BTW the installer said they have 160 installs scheduled for April.
Leaf eTec Blue Ocean
Reserved 6/25/10
EVProject approved 1/06/11
Blink EVSE Installed 4/6/11 (Separate meter, ethernet connection)
Ordered 1/25/11 Delivered 4/20/2011

DarkDave
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0714

Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:23 am

Is anyone tracking the current firmware versions that are being downloaded remotely to the Blink chargers?

My Blink was installed last week 3/29. It came with FW version 1.2A, which I immediately noticed that if it looses WiFi connectivity with my router I have to power cycle the unit to get it to scan for networks and reconnect to my router. Seems like there's probably a bug in their wifi device driver, or they are using a really old kernel that has issues with the network management tool. Has anyone been able to determine the version of the Linux kernel in the Blink?

My Blink unit upgraded its firmware to 1.3A yesterday, then 1.4A today. Looks like FW changes are finally being pushed to the units to resolve some issues.
2011 Glacier Pearl SL-e
Leaf delivered: 3/31/11
25,450 miles, all Arizona desert
Lost 4th bar Jan 5th, 2015 at 24532 miles
New "Lizard" battery installed 2/26/2015

ht2
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1698

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:16 pm

EV Project Contractor came today to install the Blink.
Blink FW version is 1.0_L2R_C.

DarkStar
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:56 pm

DarkDave wrote:Is anyone tracking the current firmware versions that are being downloaded remotely to the Blink chargers?

My Blink was installed last week 3/29. It came with FW version 1.2A, which I immediately noticed that if it looses WiFi connectivity with my router I have to power cycle the unit to get it to scan for networks and reconnect to my router. Seems like there's probably a bug in their wifi device driver, or they are using a really old kernel that has issues with the network management tool. Has anyone been able to determine the version of the Linux kernel in the Blink?

My Blink unit upgraded its firmware to 1.3A yesterday, then 1.4A today. Looks like FW changes are finally being pushed to the units to resolve some issues.
Hey DarkDave,

There are a few threads in the Blink sub-forum regarding the different revisions... Unfortunately the latest firmware doesn't appear to be resolving any wifi issues that were previously reported.
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

AndyN

Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:51 pm

cdaveb wrote:

You might have found this out already but that is definitely not the case. Picked up our Leaf 3/28 and the contract for the EV Project signed soon after. Just had the Blink installed yesterday 4/9. So you should be good to go.
Carbon Footprint: Gun Metal 2010 Nissan GTR
Carbon Offset: Silver 2011 Nissan Leaf SL- QC #653

RIP Matthew. Please visit http://www.teammatthew.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and learn how you could save a life.

jcesare
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1290

Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:51 am

Jut had my 2nd meter installed. Now all I need is a car :cry:
Leaf eTec Blue Ocean
Reserved 6/25/10
EVProject approved 1/06/11
Blink EVSE Installed 4/6/11 (Separate meter, ethernet connection)
Ordered 1/25/11 Delivered 4/20/2011

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”