Page 80 of 83

Re: Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:22 am
by Graffi
To me it is like someone trying to charge for parking at an event, in the far corner of a large field. Maybe $5 or $10, but the rest of the field is free.

Blink support

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:11 am
by DesertDenizen
Blink Support has not been answering their phone. My Blink unit stopped charging, with the Test Failure message, even after I have reconfigured it. Anyone know of how to contact Blink Support these days? Thanks.

Re: Blink support

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:02 am
by JPWhite
DesertDenizen wrote:Blink Support has not been answering their phone. My Blink unit stopped charging, with the Test Failure message, even after I have reconfigured it. Anyone know of how to contact Blink Support these days? Thanks.
I've used support@blinknetwork.com but these days it take 3-4 days to get an acknowledgement, never mind a technician dispatched.

I suggest you get your portable EVSE upgraded by Phil and get the necessary patch for the wall outlet the blink plugs into. At least then you are not reduced to 120v indefinitely.

The reduced level of support for Blink units from CarCharging makes me wonder if they are in a financial death spiral.

Re: Blink support

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:04 pm
by TomT
You can always pull the blue plug and make it in to a standard dumb EVSE...
DesertDenizen wrote:Blink Support has not been answering their phone. My Blink unit stopped charging, with the Test Failure message, even after I have reconfigured it. Anyone know of how to contact Blink Support these days? Thanks.

Re: Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:08 pm
by DesertDenizen
I am not sure what this means. Sorry, not savvy.

Re: Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:29 pm
by JPWhite
DesertDenizen wrote:I am not sure what this means. Sorry, not savvy.
Follow this thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 279#p77941

Re: failed Blink cable - Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:21 pm
by wsbca
Last activity on this thread is from over a year ago, but I'll take a shot - support@blinknetwork.com still has an autoresponder, but does anyone know if they are really following up anymore? Our main cable to the J1772 connector seems to be shot - intermittent failures for a few weeks, now it never works, broken pilot wire I think. I emailed them last week, got the autoresponse indicating followup would happen, but nothing yet.

I can perhaps reach the contractor that put the unit in originally, they are still around, and see what they would charge to replace the cable with a Leviton which I think I can procure from Amazon for $170 or so...or I could give blinknetwork a shot. But before I try that, I'm curious whether anyone has interacted with blinknetwork lately. And/or if anyone else has pursued other solutions to cable failure or has recommendations. I found other threads which indicated that rewiring inside the Blink is not trivial due to the way things are connected - I mean, I think I could figure out what goes where but it sounds like special crimping tools and fittings might be needed, with which I'm not familiar.

Wade

Re: failed Blink cable - Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:18 pm
by JPWhite
wsbca wrote:Last activity on this thread is from over a year ago, but I'll take a shot - support@blinknetwork.com still has an autoresponder, but does anyone know if they are really following up anymore? Our main cable to the J1772 connector seems to be shot - intermittent failures for a few weeks, now it never works, broken pilot wire I think. I emailed them last week, got the autoresponse indicating followup would happen, but nothing yet.

I can perhaps reach the contractor that put the unit in originally, they are still around, and see what they would charge to replace the cable with a Leviton which I think I can procure from Amazon for $170 or so...or I could give blinknetwork a shot. But before I try that, I'm curious whether anyone has interacted with blinknetwork lately. And/or if anyone else has pursued other solutions to cable failure or has recommendations. I found other threads which indicated that rewiring inside the Blink is not trivial due to the way things are connected - I mean, I think I could figure out what goes where but it sounds like special crimping tools and fittings might be needed, with which I'm not familiar.

Wade
My Blink unit started acting up recently.

I opted to replace with a Clipper Creek. Blinks have issues with the J1772 crimp at the outlet and also with wiring internal to the base unit. With several common failure points and host company in financial trouble I elected not to repair and sold the unit for parts on eBay for $70.

Re: Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:23 am
by pksd1
My blink(EV project) started acting up yesterday. Would not recognize that my car is plugged in. Called blink support this morning and they said they will not repair it anymore, instead they want me to purchase their new unit. Not sure if I want another Blink product in my house with so many companies now selling EVSE units now.

Are there any other options to repair the current charger ? Unit is powered up, display is working. I am thinking its the cable.

Re: Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:29 am
by wsbca
pksd1 wrote:My blink(EV project) started acting up yesterday. Would not recognize that my car is plugged in. Called blink support this morning and they said they will not repair it anymore, instead they want me to purchase their new unit. Not sure if I want another Blink product in my house with so many companies now selling EVSE units now.

Are there any other options to repair the current charger ? Unit is powered up, display is working. I am thinking its the cable.
If it's the cable, and specifically the pilot wire in the cable, a replacement cable from Amazon is a fairly straightforward fix - I did this myself recently, only significant cost was the $170 for the cable..

See:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 81#p439681

and

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&start=20