MyAlias

Outrageous Charger Installation Quotes

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:41 pm

I just got my quote from Aerovironment for installing the charger. Over $4000! About $3000 was installation charge. OK, a wire has to go underground for about 10 ft, but as the electrician said, it's no big deal (it's not). Let's be ridiculous and imagine that it would take 8 hrs to install (no way), that would amount to $375 per hour. Just to put that into perspective that's equivalent to an annual salary of $750K! But it's worse because it will probably take a max of 2 hrs to install. Even a Goldman Sachs executive would not sneer at that pay.

Even if the quote came in at the standard $2200, does anyone think that's reasonable? About $1000 of that is labor and it's hard to imagine it's more than an hour's worth of work.

I really wanted a Leaf, but this looks like a deal breaker unless Nissan thinks better of this charger installation scam. I hope others will just say no to this rip off so Nissan is forced to do right by its dedicated following. What say you?

derkraut
Delivery Date: 14 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 004248

Re: Outrageous Charger Installation Quotes

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:47 pm

I agree with you 100%. Just another scheme to rip people off----because we NEED the home charger. You need to call some electricians for another opinion. I imagine they will be happy to give you a free estimate.
Derkraut
Color: Cayenne SLE, ETEC trim
reserved: 5/15/2010
Leaf del. 6/14/2011
New Traction battery installed on 7/28/2017:

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:47 pm

Yeah, we've already got a few members a bit steamed about quotes and other AV related issues. Best thing to do is just sign the Nissan waiver and get your own when they come to market for individuals to purchase. Someone even said that AV is taking names for a list of EVSE only purchase (without installation).
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 84,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

EVDRIVER

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:53 pm

The more people that tell Nissan that AV is out the more chance of reduced pricing or discounted EVSE pricing.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:56 pm

Just say pass. Get the EVSE from a different supplier and have your own electrician connect it.
I think they are banking on most people are in a big rush, taking the tax deduction and just do not know any better.

I plan to just use the 120v trikle charge until I can click and buy my preferred EVSE (yet to be determined).

List of EVSE suppliers: http://www.pluginrecharge.com/p/evse-vendors.html
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

sparky
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011

Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:57 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:The more people that tell Nissan that AV is out the more chance of reduced pricing or discounted EVSE pricing.
Yup. Don't just pass on the AV install. Call Nissan at the LEAF number between 8-5 PDT. Explain that the LEAF may be unaffordable because AV is quoting more than double the going rate for the installation of the charger. Ask them to get AV on the line with you to discuss the lack of an itemized cost breakdown for the time and materials and the appearance of gouging based on estimates you've received.
This may yield nothing, but Nissan and AV will start to feel the heat if everyone does this.
Based on the quotes posted here, it's clear AV is consistently out of line.
Then, if they don't bring the quote down to this planet, do the waiver thing and choose an electrician to do the work. Plenty of time, and plenty of electricians who want the work; no reason to rush.

p.s. I think mine could be the lowest AV quote posted here ($665 installation); but still 3x what it should cost, so I called NIssan and complained. Supposedly AV is looking into the estimate (not holding my breath).

JPC2822

Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:06 pm

MyAlias wrote:I just got my quote from Aerovironment for installing the charger. Over $4000! About $3000 was installation charge. OK, a wire has to go underground for about 10 ft, but as the electrician said, it's no big deal (it's not). Let's be ridiculous and imagine that it would take 8 hrs to install (no way), that would amount to $375 per hour. Just to put that into perspective that's equivalent to an annual salary of $750K! But it's worse because it will probably take a max of 2 hrs to install. Even a Goldman Sachs executive would not sneer at that pay.

Even if the quote came in at the standard $2200, does anyone think that's reasonable? About $1000 of that is labor and it's hard to imagine it's more than an hour's worth of work.

I really wanted a Leaf, but this looks like a deal breaker unless Nissan thinks better of this charger installation scam. I hope others will just say no to this rip off so Nissan is forced to do right by its dedicated following. What say you?
I AGREE 100% CALL AV and Nissan to complain (although when I called Nissan all they said was "please hold we are transferring you to AV")! Get a licensed electrician to come to your home for a quote. The call AV and ask why AV's contracted electrician's quote is so much more? My AV quote was double the price I got from an outside licensed eletrician! I told AV I want to be put on the "list" of people who want to buy the home charging station without AV's contracted licensed electrician. AV said I am on their list.
John Paul Cabrera
LEAF Order date 09/01, Fontana Nissan
Next ride: Silver SL LEAF VIN 313 with License plate Qbn LEAF
Estimated delivery: Was Week of February 11th, now Week of Feb. 23rd
Delivered 02/14/11!
AV cash-and-carry installed 12/16/10

MyAlias

Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:17 pm

I see I'm not the only one to try to get a reasonable explanation from AV. I've tried twice and both times was told they'd call me. I'm still waiting.

Keep calling Nissan to complain. Maybe they'll start to hear it. They are losing all that good will they'd built up.

Volt anyone? That lease deal is starting to look attractive after all...

hodad66
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:21 am

MyAlias wrote:
Volt anyone? That lease deal is starting to look attractive after all...
That $350 deal on 41k seems great but I really want to drop the ICE.
reserved 7-26-2010, RAQ 7-29-2011... Order Cancelled 9/26/2011,
Schneider EVSE installed (9/15/2011)
2012 Volt lease 9/22/2011, 2014 Volt lease 5/12/2014

EVDRIVER

Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:01 am

Don't believe that the "warranty" is the reason for the cost, that is complete nonsense as a warranty on a $750 appliance should be $25, what they don't want you to see is that the "installation" is also part of the margin and too many people have their hands in this and AV has big government contacting hands. Since AV is a very large company does anyone expect them to be competitive? This is simple economics, since installing the EVSE is basically an oversized outlet and no more work than a spa connection, consider what the cost to connect a spa or install a 240 outlet may cost with all these parties involved rather than calling an electrician. In addition there is margin in the EVSE as well.

I work on high end homes in on of the most expensive labor areas in the US doing far more complicated electrical installations and these rates are way out of line for "labor", the bottom line is the model being used here is not structured to be reasonable but to make a profit for too many people and to manage an EV rollout carefully. Anyone who is pre-wired for an EVSE or only needs two feet of wire run should pay about $300 in labor, $75 in parts and for the EVSE and permit fee, that's all. Anyone who has done any electrical work on their home is likely doing their own installation. As others have said, waiting a bit won't hurt and if you can use 120 for a bit there may be even more options. If you ever think you may own another EV it also makes sense to get a higher power EVSE if possible.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”