Outrageous Charger Installation Quotes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyAlias

I just got my quote from Aerovironment for installing the charger. Over $4000! About $3000 was installation charge. OK, a wire has to go underground for about 10 ft, but as the electrician said, it's no big deal (it's not). Let's be ridiculous and imagine that it would take 8 hrs to install (no way), that would amount to $375 per hour. Just to put that into perspective that's equivalent to an annual salary of $750K! But it's worse because it will probably take a max of 2 hrs to install. Even a Goldman Sachs executive would not sneer at that pay.

Even if the quote came in at the standard $2200, does anyone think that's reasonable? About $1000 of that is labor and it's hard to imagine it's more than an hour's worth of work.

I really wanted a Leaf, but this looks like a deal breaker unless Nissan thinks better of this charger installation scam. I hope others will just say no to this rip off so Nissan is forced to do right by its dedicated following. What say you?

I agree with you 100%. Just another scheme to rip people off----because we NEED the home charger. You need to call some electricians for another opinion. I imagine they will be happy to give you a free estimate.

Yeah, we've already got a few members a bit steamed about quotes and other AV related issues. Best thing to do is just sign the Nissan waiver and get your own when they come to market for individuals to purchase. Someone even said that AV is taking names for a list of EVSE only purchase (without installation).

The more people that tell Nissan that AV is out the more chance of reduced pricing or discounted EVSE pricing.

Just say pass. Get the EVSE from a different supplier and have your own electrician connect it.
I think they are banking on most people are in a big rush, taking the tax deduction and just do not know any better.

I plan to just use the 120v trikle charge until I can click and buy my preferred EVSE (yet to be determined).

List of EVSE suppliers: http://www.pluginrecharge.com/p/evse-vendors.html

EVDRIVER said:
The more people that tell Nissan that AV is out the more chance of reduced pricing or discounted EVSE pricing.
Yup. Don't just pass on the AV install. Call Nissan at the LEAF number between 8-5 PDT. Explain that the LEAF may be unaffordable because AV is quoting more than double the going rate for the installation of the charger. Ask them to get AV on the line with you to discuss the lack of an itemized cost breakdown for the time and materials and the appearance of gouging based on estimates you've received.
This may yield nothing, but Nissan and AV will start to feel the heat if everyone does this.
Based on the quotes posted here, it's clear AV is consistently out of line.
Then, if they don't bring the quote down to this planet, do the waiver thing and choose an electrician to do the work. Plenty of time, and plenty of electricians who want the work; no reason to rush.

p.s. I think mine could be the lowest AV quote posted here ($665 installation); but still 3x what it should cost, so I called NIssan and complained. Supposedly AV is looking into the estimate (not holding my breath).

MyAlias said:
I just got my quote from Aerovironment for installing the charger. Over $4000! About $3000 was installation charge. OK, a wire has to go underground for about 10 ft, but as the electrician said, it's no big deal (it's not). Let's be ridiculous and imagine that it would take 8 hrs to install (no way), that would amount to $375 per hour. Just to put that into perspective that's equivalent to an annual salary of $750K! But it's worse because it will probably take a max of 2 hrs to install. Even a Goldman Sachs executive would not sneer at that pay.

Even if the quote came in at the standard $2200, does anyone think that's reasonable? About $1000 of that is labor and it's hard to imagine it's more than an hour's worth of work.

I really wanted a Leaf, but this looks like a deal breaker unless Nissan thinks better of this charger installation scam. I hope others will just say no to this rip off so Nissan is forced to do right by its dedicated following. What say you?

I AGREE 100% CALL AV and Nissan to complain (although when I called Nissan all they said was "please hold we are transferring you to AV")! Get a licensed electrician to come to your home for a quote. The call AV and ask why AV's contracted electrician's quote is so much more? My AV quote was double the price I got from an outside licensed eletrician! I told AV I want to be put on the "list" of people who want to buy the home charging station without AV's contracted licensed electrician. AV said I am on their list.

I see I'm not the only one to try to get a reasonable explanation from AV. I've tried twice and both times was told they'd call me. I'm still waiting.

Keep calling Nissan to complain. Maybe they'll start to hear it. They are losing all that good will they'd built up.

Volt anyone? That lease deal is starting to look attractive after all...

Don't believe that the "warranty" is the reason for the cost, that is complete nonsense as a warranty on a $750 appliance should be $25, what they don't want you to see is that the "installation" is also part of the margin and too many people have their hands in this and AV has big government contacting hands. Since AV is a very large company does anyone expect them to be competitive? This is simple economics, since installing the EVSE is basically an oversized outlet and no more work than a spa connection, consider what the cost to connect a spa or install a 240 outlet may cost with all these parties involved rather than calling an electrician. In addition there is margin in the EVSE as well.

I work on high end homes in on of the most expensive labor areas in the US doing far more complicated electrical installations and these rates are way out of line for "labor", the bottom line is the model being used here is not structured to be reasonable but to make a profit for too many people and to manage an EV rollout carefully. Anyone who is pre-wired for an EVSE or only needs two feet of wire run should pay about $300 in labor, $75 in parts and for the EVSE and permit fee, that's all. Anyone who has done any electrical work on their home is likely doing their own installation. As others have said, waiting a bit won't hurt and if you can use 120 for a bit there may be even more options. If you ever think you may own another EV it also makes sense to get a higher power EVSE if possible.

I CALLED NISSAN LEAF THIS MORNING. I TOLD THE LADY THAT AV IS CHARGING DOUBLE FOR THE ELECTRICAL WORK THAT ANOTHER LICINSED ELECTRICIAN QUOTED. The Nissan LEAF representative said she sees in my account notes that AV has me down for those wanting to purchase the home charging station only!!!!!!! :D

The LIST exists! That was Nissan telling me that!

I received a quote for $5200+... with a custom installation charge of $4000.

The quote details are "VERY" detailed: REV 1-UPGRADE EXISTING PANEL. INSTALL (1) 2-POLE PANEL. RUN CONDUIT AND WIRE FROM ELECTRICAL PANEL TO EVSE LEVEL 1 LOCATION. MOUNT AND TERMINATE (1) EVSE ONTO WALL IN CUSTOMER'S GARAGE AND INSTALL 1 GFCI RECEPTACLE. PROVIDE CUSTOMER TRAINING AND OBTAIN PERMITS AND INSPECTIONS. NOTE: EXCLUDES UTILITIY COMPANY FEES OR WORK IF APPLICABLE.

If I understand it well, they have to add a new subpanel to accommodate the extra switch as the existing panel has no more space.

$4000 with $75/hour is 50+ man-hours of work - more than a man-week ... however, the assessor mentioned that it could be done in a day...

Not sure about the prices for parts, like the sub-panel, switch, etc., but it's hard to imagine that it would be more than a few hundred dollars, which leaves a whole week of labor.
Does anyone have a better feel for those part cost?

I had a quote for a complete panel upgrade a few years ago which was $1500...

The assessor and the survey both mention that the installation cost is subject to a tax credit, which is probably a reason why AeroEnvironment thinks they can get away with this rip-off, but they actually rip-off me AND the government (which is "us").

I'm waiting for a return-call from AV to see if they can "explain" the quote in more detail.

Note that I also had to wait 6 weeks for the quote to come thru (?) instead of the promised 3 days.

Let's just say that I am not very "impressed" with Nissan&AeroVironment... sure leaves a bad taste in my mouth - hopefully it will become clear how we can do the installation ourselves with our own choice of electrician.

-Frank.

I don't know why anyone bothers with AV, just hire a private electrician and buy an EVSE form AV or elsewhere if available this year.

FrankS said:

The quote details are "VERY" detailed: REV 1-UPGRADE EXISTING PANEL. INSTALL (1) 2-POLE PANEL. RUN CONDUIT AND WIRE FROM ELECTRICAL PANEL TO EVSE LEVEL 1 LOCATION. MOUNT AND TERMINATE (1) EVSE ONTO WALL IN CUSTOMER'S GARAGE AND INSTALL 1 GFCI RECEPTACLE. PROVIDE CUSTOMER TRAINING AND OBTAIN PERMITS AND INSPECTIONS. NOTE: EXCLUDES UTILITIY COMPANY FEES OR WORK IF APPLICABLE.

If I understand it well, they have to add a new subpanel to accommodate the extra switch as the existing panel has no more space.

$4000 with $75/hour is 50+ man-hours of work - more than a man-week ... however, the assessor mentioned that it could be done in a day...

Not sure about the prices for parts, like the sub-panel, switch, etc., but it's hard to imagine that it would be more than a few hundred dollars, which leaves a whole week of labor.
Does anyone have a better feel for those part cost?

The assessor and the survey both mention that the installation cost is subject to a tax credit, which is probably a reason why AeroEnvironment thinks they can get away with this rip-off, but they actually rip-off me AND the government (which is "us").

I'm waiting for a return-call from AV to see if they can "explain" the quote in more detail.

Note that I also had to wait 6 weeks for the quote to come thru (?) instead of the promised 3 days.

Let's just say that I am not very "impressed" with Nissan&AeroVironment... sure leaves a bad taste in my mouth - hopefully it will become clear how we can do the installation ourselves with our own choice of electrician.

-Frank.

Wow! Highest AV quote I've seen so far! Bear in mind, panel upgrades run at least $2,000-$3,500 now.

FrankS said:

The quote details are "VERY" detailed: .......

A couple of years ago I decided to turn a storage room in the house into a computer center and had to run a half dozen new circuits to accommodate things. My existing panel was full, so I went to Home Depot - found a pass through panel there with space for ten breakers - so bought it and a length of wire to go from the new panel to the old. (turned off the power at the meter :D ) and pulled the main feed out of the old panel - fed it into the new panel, and installed the new wiring from the new panel back to the original. The whole project cost me less then $100 (the panel was on super-sale) and took less time to complete then it took to drive to Home Depot and back. It's very simple work. Popped in breakers and hooked up the new wiring to the computer room too. Now I still have 3 empty breaker slots - which is just what I need for the EVSE + GFI.

$4000+ is just an absurd amount of money for that work. Shoot - give me a call and I'll do it for your for 1/2 that - and a 6 pack. I'm not getting much else done waiting for my blasted order to open.

My wife just corrected me: the quote we got about 4 years ago for the whole panel upgrade/replacement was $1000...

I have you all beat!

My quote was $5,766.03 !!!

$4,652.79 of that is the "custom installation"

The $200 "permit and processing" is also a rip. I got an electrician to come out and give a quote (which was free by the way). He gave me a quote between $1,300 and $1,900. $1,300 if he ran it through the attic or along the side of the house. $1,900 if he does the trenching. He's only going to charge me $56 for pulling the permit. Also, he said he would run me a second 240v line at no extra cost in case I get a second EV in the future.

Here's a URL to a screenshot of my quote from AV/Nissan:
http://www.goevgo.com/img_AV_charger_install_01.jpg

I recommend you call an electrician, get a quote from them and evaluate your options. When I called Nissan, they forwarded me to AV. I asked AV if I could get my electrician to run the 240v and pull the permit and have AV just install the charger itself all while keeping the on-site warranty intact. Sarah with AV is suppose to be e-mailing me back to let me know. Worse case: I'll just get the charger and install it myself and only have a "parts" warranty.

Also, keep in mind something I learned today when I called Nissan about all this. The dealership doesn't have to sell you the car at MSRP. They're only "encouraged" to stick with MSRP.

*** UPDATE ***

Sarah with AV just sent me an e-mail:
Dear Mr. ****,

Thank you for your recent inquiry. I have spoken with my supervisor, and confirmed that you are correct regarding the warranty. As long as we are installing the charging dock itself, the warranty is a 3 year on-site warranty. If you are looking at having the rest of the work completed by you own electrician, this would affect the quote we have provided. I am still waiting to hear back on how we would go about changing your quote, but do not believe that it would be an issue.

I hope this has answered your questions, and if you have any more, please feel free to contact me again.

Sincerely,

--
Sarah *******
AeroVironment, Inc.
Installation Network Coordinator

Obviously, I still would like to know what the quote will be. Hopefully, she'll get back with me on that soon.

Don't bother with AV, they will still charge you about $700 to screw it on the wall and the warranty is really an excuse for margin. For the price of the labor you could buy a second new EVSE and hook it up in 10 minutes.

gasmiser1 said:
Wow! Highest AV quote I've seen so far! Bear in mind, panel upgrades run at least $2,000-$3,500 now.
I win. Mine was $10,903.12. We need a 100A to 200A upgrade (house is 80 yrs. old), and trenching of about 25' around back of house to garage. We told the AV assessor we'd do the trenching ourselves, but he included it in the quote (below) anyway. Since then, we've decided to get a 4.9kW PV system installed on our garage roof with SunPower. They're including the cost of the panel upgrade in my solar installation quote for no extra cost, and we're still doing the trenching ourselves.
Your quote details: UPGRADE 100 A PANEL TO 200A AT HOUSE, INSTALL 124A PANEL IN GARAGE, TRENCH FROM HOUSE TO GARAGE, INSTALL PVC UNDERGROUND, INSTALL EMT IN ALL ABOVE GROUND RUNS,WIRE EXISTING BRANCH CIRCUITS, BOND TO WATER AND GAS PIPES AND INSTALL LEVEL 2 DOCK. SUPPLY/INSTALL CIRCUIT BREAKER , WIRING, CONDUIT AND HARDWARE. MOUNT AND TERMINATE THE CHARGING DOCK. VERIFY CHARGING DOCK OPERATION WITH SERVICE TOOL. PERFORM CUSTOMER TRAINING

Back