JPC2822

Re: Outrageous Charger Installation Quotes

Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:00 am

I CALLED NISSAN LEAF THIS MORNING. I TOLD THE LADY THAT AV IS CHARGING DOUBLE FOR THE ELECTRICAL WORK THAT ANOTHER LICINSED ELECTRICIAN QUOTED. The Nissan LEAF representative said she sees in my account notes that AV has me down for those wanting to purchase the home charging station only!!!!!!! :D

The LIST exists! That was Nissan telling me that!
John Paul Cabrera
LEAF Order date 09/01, Fontana Nissan
Next ride: Silver SL LEAF VIN 313 with License plate Qbn LEAF
Estimated delivery: Was Week of February 11th, now Week of Feb. 23rd
Delivered 02/14/11!
AV cash-and-carry installed 12/16/10

FrankS

Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:58 pm

I received a quote for $5200+... with a custom installation charge of $4000.

The quote details are "VERY" detailed: REV 1-UPGRADE EXISTING PANEL. INSTALL (1) 2-POLE PANEL. RUN CONDUIT AND WIRE FROM ELECTRICAL PANEL TO EVSE LEVEL 1 LOCATION. MOUNT AND TERMINATE (1) EVSE ONTO WALL IN CUSTOMER'S GARAGE AND INSTALL 1 GFCI RECEPTACLE. PROVIDE CUSTOMER TRAINING AND OBTAIN PERMITS AND INSPECTIONS. NOTE: EXCLUDES UTILITIY COMPANY FEES OR WORK IF APPLICABLE.

If I understand it well, they have to add a new subpanel to accommodate the extra switch as the existing panel has no more space.

$4000 with $75/hour is 50+ man-hours of work - more than a man-week ... however, the assessor mentioned that it could be done in a day...

Not sure about the prices for parts, like the sub-panel, switch, etc., but it's hard to imagine that it would be more than a few hundred dollars, which leaves a whole week of labor.
Does anyone have a better feel for those part cost?

I had a quote for a complete panel upgrade a few years ago which was $1500...

The assessor and the survey both mention that the installation cost is subject to a tax credit, which is probably a reason why AeroEnvironment thinks they can get away with this rip-off, but they actually rip-off me AND the government (which is "us").

I'm waiting for a return-call from AV to see if they can "explain" the quote in more detail.

Note that I also had to wait 6 weeks for the quote to come thru (?) instead of the promised 3 days.

Let's just say that I am not very "impressed" with Nissan&AeroVironment... sure leaves a bad taste in my mouth - hopefully it will become clear how we can do the installation ourselves with our own choice of electrician.

-Frank.

EVDRIVER

Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:29 pm

I don't know why anyone bothers with AV, just hire a private electrician and buy an EVSE form AV or elsewhere if available this year.

gasmiser1

Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:58 pm

FrankS wrote:I received a quote for $5200+... with a custom installation charge of $4000.

The quote details are "VERY" detailed: REV 1-UPGRADE EXISTING PANEL. INSTALL (1) 2-POLE PANEL. RUN CONDUIT AND WIRE FROM ELECTRICAL PANEL TO EVSE LEVEL 1 LOCATION. MOUNT AND TERMINATE (1) EVSE ONTO WALL IN CUSTOMER'S GARAGE AND INSTALL 1 GFCI RECEPTACLE. PROVIDE CUSTOMER TRAINING AND OBTAIN PERMITS AND INSPECTIONS. NOTE: EXCLUDES UTILITIY COMPANY FEES OR WORK IF APPLICABLE.

If I understand it well, they have to add a new subpanel to accommodate the extra switch as the existing panel has no more space.

$4000 with $75/hour is 50+ man-hours of work - more than a man-week ... however, the assessor mentioned that it could be done in a day...

Not sure about the prices for parts, like the sub-panel, switch, etc., but it's hard to imagine that it would be more than a few hundred dollars, which leaves a whole week of labor.
Does anyone have a better feel for those part cost?

The assessor and the survey both mention that the installation cost is subject to a tax credit, which is probably a reason why AeroEnvironment thinks they can get away with this rip-off, but they actually rip-off me AND the government (which is "us").

I'm waiting for a return-call from AV to see if they can "explain" the quote in more detail.

Note that I also had to wait 6 weeks for the quote to come thru (?) instead of the promised 3 days.

Let's just say that I am not very "impressed" with Nissan&AeroVironment... sure leaves a bad taste in my mouth - hopefully it will become clear how we can do the installation ourselves with our own choice of electrician.

-Frank.
Wow! Highest AV quote I've seen so far! Bear in mind, panel upgrades run at least $2,000-$3,500 now.
2nd leased 2014 Nissan LEAF, 2500 miles, leased 5/4/14
(1st Leaf, 3/29/11, leased until 5/4/14, 45,000 miles)
2014 Chevy Volt, 11,200 miles, leased 11/2013
Future Tesla Model S owner :-)
Central Coast EV Member
SF BayLEAF Member
Model S Member

LakeLeaf
Delivery Date: 04 Aug 2018

Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:03 pm

FrankS wrote:I received a quote for $5200+... with a custom installation charge of $4000.

The quote details are "VERY" detailed: .......

A couple of years ago I decided to turn a storage room in the house into a computer center and had to run a half dozen new circuits to accommodate things. My existing panel was full, so I went to Home Depot - found a pass through panel there with space for ten breakers - so bought it and a length of wire to go from the new panel to the old. (turned off the power at the meter :D ) and pulled the main feed out of the old panel - fed it into the new panel, and installed the new wiring from the new panel back to the original. The whole project cost me less then $100 (the panel was on super-sale) and took less time to complete then it took to drive to Home Depot and back. It's very simple work. Popped in breakers and hooked up the new wiring to the computer room too. Now I still have 3 empty breaker slots - which is just what I need for the EVSE + GFI.

$4000+ is just an absurd amount of money for that work. Shoot - give me a call and I'll do it for your for 1/2 that - and a 6 pack. I'm not getting much else done waiting for my blasted order to open.

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:06 pm

gasmiser1 wrote:Wow! Highest AV quote I've seen so far!
To one of the posters here - they quoted $10K. :shock:
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

FrankS

Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:49 pm

My wife just corrected me: the quote we got about 4 years ago for the whole panel upgrade/replacement was $1000...

clint

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:52 am

I have you all beat!

My quote was $5,766.03 !!!

$4,652.79 of that is the "custom installation"

The $200 "permit and processing" is also a rip. I got an electrician to come out and give a quote (which was free by the way). He gave me a quote between $1,300 and $1,900. $1,300 if he ran it through the attic or along the side of the house. $1,900 if he does the trenching. He's only going to charge me $56 for pulling the permit. Also, he said he would run me a second 240v line at no extra cost in case I get a second EV in the future.

Here's a URL to a screenshot of my quote from AV/Nissan:
http://www.goevgo.com/img_AV_charger_install_01.jpg

I recommend you call an electrician, get a quote from them and evaluate your options. When I called Nissan, they forwarded me to AV. I asked AV if I could get my electrician to run the 240v and pull the permit and have AV just install the charger itself all while keeping the on-site warranty intact. Sarah with AV is suppose to be e-mailing me back to let me know. Worse case: I'll just get the charger and install it myself and only have a "parts" warranty.

Also, keep in mind something I learned today when I called Nissan about all this. The dealership doesn't have to sell you the car at MSRP. They're only "encouraged" to stick with MSRP.

*** UPDATE ***

Sarah with AV just sent me an e-mail:
Dear Mr. ****,

Thank you for your recent inquiry. I have spoken with my supervisor, and confirmed that you are correct regarding the warranty. As long as we are installing the charging dock itself, the warranty is a 3 year on-site warranty. If you are looking at having the rest of the work completed by you own electrician, this would affect the quote we have provided. I am still waiting to hear back on how we would go about changing your quote, but do not believe that it would be an issue.

I hope this has answered your questions, and if you have any more, please feel free to contact me again.

Sincerely,

--
Sarah *******
AeroVironment, Inc.
Installation Network Coordinator

Obviously, I still would like to know what the quote will be. Hopefully, she'll get back with me on that soon.

EVDRIVER

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:18 am

Don't bother with AV, they will still charge you about $700 to screw it on the wall and the warranty is really an excuse for margin. For the price of the labor you could buy a second new EVSE and hook it up in 10 minutes.

cinmar
Delivery Date: 01 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1818

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:23 am

gasmiser1 wrote:Wow! Highest AV quote I've seen so far! Bear in mind, panel upgrades run at least $2,000-$3,500 now.
I win. Mine was $10,903.12. We need a 100A to 200A upgrade (house is 80 yrs. old), and trenching of about 25' around back of house to garage. We told the AV assessor we'd do the trenching ourselves, but he included it in the quote (below) anyway. Since then, we've decided to get a 4.9kW PV system installed on our garage roof with SunPower. They're including the cost of the panel upgrade in my solar installation quote for no extra cost, and we're still doing the trenching ourselves.
Your quote details: UPGRADE 100 A PANEL TO 200A AT HOUSE, INSTALL 124A PANEL IN GARAGE, TRENCH FROM HOUSE TO GARAGE, INSTALL PVC UNDERGROUND, INSTALL EMT IN ALL ABOVE GROUND RUNS,WIRE EXISTING BRANCH CIRCUITS, BOND TO WATER AND GAS PIPES AND INSTALL LEVEL 2 DOCK. SUPPLY/INSTALL CIRCUIT BREAKER , WIRING, CONDUIT AND HARDWARE. MOUNT AND TERMINATE THE CHARGING DOCK. VERIFY CHARGING DOCK OPERATION WITH SERVICE TOOL. PERFORM CUSTOMER TRAINING
Reserved 4/20/10 * Ordered 10/25/10 * EDD April->May->Pending->June->April 11th->April 27th->April 29th->May 5th->DELIVERED 5/1/11
Carwings: 4/12/11 - 7-day email:4/21/11
Glacier Pearl SL + QC
4.9 kW SunPower PV Panels

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”