retrodog
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Gen 2 Leaf... Did You Add Knee Pads?

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:13 am

I got mine last Friday. I love the car, but by Monday (yesterday) I started getting irritated with my right knee leaning against the center console protrusion.

I ended up going to Home Depot last night and getting some black foam padding with adhesive on the back. I put a couple of layers on the side of the center console, where my knee rests against it. This helped quite a bit. What a weird-ass problem. The Gen 1 didn't have that at all.

So has anybody else felt compelled to do something about this interference issue? If so, what did you do?
President and only member of the Machine Gun Toting Electric Scooter Riders club, Texas chapter.

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Re: Gen 2 Leaf... Did You Add Knee Pads?

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:05 pm

retrodog wrote:I got mine last Friday. I love the car, but by Monday (yesterday) I started getting irritated with my right knee leaning against the center console protrusion.

I ended up going to Home Depot last night and getting some black foam padding with adhesive on the back. I put a couple of layers on the side of the center console, where my knee rests against it. This helped quite a bit. What a weird-ass problem. The Gen 1 didn't have that at all.

So has anybody else felt compelled to do something about this interference issue? If so, what did you do?
I only have a gen 1 Leaf(that doesn't bother me) but I have sat in several cars where the center console comes out way too much and it's made me basically scratch that car of my list. Prius did the same thing several years after our '07 and again I basically wrote it off my list. It's a very annoying(and painful) thing to me and unfortunately I didn't think foam would fix the problem because anything would move my leg even further upright, which was already a problem. I told my wife if I was forced to get such a car I'd get out my reciprocating saw and cut out a notch in the damn center console, she said she wouldn't want a notch cut out of the counsel of a new vehicle so agreed to just scratch off any vehicle on our list that had that issue :)
I personally hate the cramped cockpit design, several Volts we drove come to mind among other vehicles. They may be ok for skinny minnies but not me!
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:18 pm

jjeff wrote:
retrodog wrote:I got mine last Friday. I love the car, but by Monday (yesterday) I started getting irritated with my right knee leaning against the center console protrusion.

I only have a gen 1 Leaf(that doesn't bother me) but I have sat in several cars where the center console comes out way too much and it's made me basically scratch that car of my list. Prius did the same thing several years after our '07 and again I basically wrote it off my list. It's a very annoying(and painful) thing to me and unfortunately I didn't think foam would fix the problem because anything would move my leg even further upright, which was already a problem. I told my wife if I was forced to get such a car I'd get out my reciprocating saw and cut out a notch in the damn center console...
Lol. My feeling about this exactly, right up to the jigsaw.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:25 pm

Agreed that they are trying too hard to style the car with that. It would have been better to leave it up and put in a second set of cup holders.

Sometimes I think car companies forget their market. Leaf drivers are practical and economical. Hence our low insurance rates (per an article posted today).

Its also why we generally outperform EPA range on the car.
2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max distance on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max distance on 19 Leaf: 242 Highway 4.5 miles/kWh (4.9 KWh remaining)

TheBruce
Delivery Date: 05 Feb 2019
Leaf Number: 038877

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:06 am

I'm looking into removing these wings to the left and right of the center console completely and replace them with maybe a custom made 3D printed cover that's a lot smaller. Will take my car into the dealership this week and ask whether or not these wings can be removed (they look like separate parts, but since it's a lease I'm not going to mess with this without some professional help).

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:08 am

Good idea. Please keep us posted.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

retrodog

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:02 am

TheBruce wrote:I'm looking into removing these wings to the left and right of the center console completely and replace them with maybe a custom made 3D printed cover that's a lot smaller. Will take my car into the dealership this week and ask whether or not these wings can be removed (they look like separate parts, but since it's a lease I'm not going to mess with this without some professional help).
It looks like they are a single molded piece with the center portion that houses the USB, power socket, and heated seat buttons. It would still be feasible to cut them off and add some trim, I suppose, but I'd want to see the results of someone else doing it first. I also worry that removal of this part would essentially be removing something that acts, at least partially, as a brace between the dash and the center console.

The padding that I added has improved the feel quite a bit. My leg still rests against it, but the padding is makeing it easier to get used to. I used two layers of the adhesive backed padding strips. I'll try to take a photo of it later and post it here.
President and only member of the Machine Gun Toting Electric Scooter Riders club, Texas chapter.

Newporttom
Delivery Date: 17 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 6194

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:42 am

It's the single thing I dislike most on my 2018
2012 Nissan Leaf SL - Cayenne Red
Accepted 12/14/11 - Traded in 9/16/2018

2018 Nissan Leaf SV - Gun Metal Gray
Bought Sep 16, 2018

retrodog

Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:23 am

Newporttom wrote:It's the single thing I dislike most on my 2018
The irony is that car manufacturers rarely come out with a fix for something like this. They just phase it out over the course of a few years to make it look like it was a style change, not a response to the customer dissatisfaction.

Has anybody priced the assembly to see what it would cost to replace it? If I could buy one for a few hundred dollars, and it was somewhat straightforward to change out... I might buy one and keep it around for an eventual retrograde when I decided to sell the car, then cut the existing one up to get it out of the way for now.

retrodog

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:42 pm

I went by the Nissan parts department at one of my local dealerships today. I ordered the all weather floor mats. While there, I inquired about the center console. We looked through a bunch of parts but it was uncertain from the pictures which one was the side panel that my knee contacts. The center part that has the cutouts for the starter button and other various stuff (depending on options) was almost $300. That's interesting. As in "ouch". Doesn't really look like much.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”