Baltneu
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:54 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2018
Leaf Number: 313633

Re: 2020 vs. 2021 Leaf SL Plus comparison

Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:48 am

queuetee wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:09 am
Hi, there is a big change between 2020 vs 2021 Leaf and that is 2021 costs $200 more. That's it!
Nissan gives up on the leaf.
Dual motor, com'on, it's been 10 years, nope
Dump Chadamo for CCS, nope
Littel tweaks to gain few miles, nope
Little acceleration boost, nope
Ok, fine. How about just a new exciting color, nope
Thanks
Seems like even the Plus version is on the low end of many EV cars out there now.
You have to wonder if the Leaf is end of life given the Arriya coming next year.
2018 Gun Metallic Gray, SL, Technology Package, etc.

Baltneu
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:54 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2018
Leaf Number: 313633

Re: 2020 vs. 2021 Leaf SL Plus comparison

Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:49 am

Baltneu wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:48 am
queuetee wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:09 am
Hi, there is a big change between 2020 vs 2021 Leaf and that is 2021 costs $200 more. That's it!
Nissan gives up on the leaf.
Dual motor, com'on, it's been 10 years, nope
Dump Chadamo for CCS, nope
Littel tweaks to gain few miles, nope
Little acceleration boost, nope
Ok, fine. How about just a new exciting color, nope
Thanks
Seems like even the Plus version is on the low end of many EV cars out there now, in terms of mileage.
You have to wonder if the Leaf is end of life given the Arriya coming next year.
2018 Gun Metallic Gray, SL, Technology Package, etc.

queuetee
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:24 am
Delivery Date: 12 Nov 2020

Re: 2020 vs. 2021 Leaf SL Plus comparison

Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:45 am

Baltneu wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:49 am
Baltneu wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:48 am
queuetee wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:09 am
Hi, there is a big change between 2020 vs 2021 Leaf and that is 2021 costs $200 more. That's it!
Nissan gives up on the leaf.
Dual motor, com'on, it's been 10 years, nope
Dump Chadamo for CCS, nope
Littel tweaks to gain few miles, nope
Little acceleration boost, nope
Ok, fine. How about just a new exciting color, nope
Thanks
Seems like even the Plus version is on the low end of many EV cars out there now, in terms of mileage.
You have to wonder if the Leaf is end of life given the Arriya coming next year.
The way Nissan treats the Leaf 2021 looks like Leaf is end of life. Looks like Nissan put everything in Ariya, it's a great good looking SUV. The problem here is it won't be available by 2022. In the meantime, Nissan keeps losing EV market share since many EVs are coming out. Even with Ariya, Nissan will face tough competition, BMW, Benz, VW, Ford, GM all will have their EVs available in 2022. Not to mention the king of EVs, Tesla. Oh well, let see. If people starting to switch to EVs soon, then the market is big enough for all of the companies above. If not, man, they will have a tough time competing.
I think every company is loosing money on EVs but Tesla, but they have to do it since it's the future. Just look at Wallstreet reward EVs stock.
TSLA, NIO. NIO is a startup 3 years old company, last year, it sold less than 40K cars vs GM sold 8 million cars, NIO market cap 90 billion, GM is 60 billion. NIO is the 3rd biggest carmaker in the world in term of value(market cap), just behind Tesla and Toyota. NIO is bigger than Daimler, BMW, VW of the world. It's mind-boggling if you think about it. Clearly, people think EV is the future, noone believes in ICE anymore. The problem I see with traditional ICE makers is they can't focus 100% on EV vs pure-play EV like TSLA and NIO since they still need to put the other half on ICE. When you don't focus 100% on something, you likely to lose the guy that focuses 100%. We saw it happened with the retail industry (sears, jcpenny, macys and ect..) vs Online. Blockbuster vs Netflix. Those failed companies tried to preserve their legacy business while trying venture to new business, at the end, they failed. I don't know how ICE makers are trying preserve their ICE business, but history shows that they will have a tough time succeeding.


Nissan was the one that started mass-produce EVs, Nissan was the one who brought EVs to people first, even before Tesla Model S. Too bad it could not take advantage of being the first mover.

Just like PC in the 80s. IBM started PC, but it got taken over by Microsoft, Intel, Compaq....

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 16107
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: 2020 vs. 2021 Leaf SL Plus comparison

Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:15 pm

I find it (sadly) funny: when they fixed the degradation problem (in normal climates, at least) Nissan made the Leaf into what for me and some others is a great car. The performance is more than adequate for us, as is the range of both our SL and SV+. The comfort far exceeds that of any other car we've driven. If I could afford to buy my car off-lease, and had a way to swap out the leather seats, I'd do it, despite the crash damage. (The damage was virtually all to the door, and the door was replaced.) My only complaint is that my car has a marginal radar unit that shuts down in cold, damp weather, and the dealer can't find a code stored to trigger a replacement. It's great that EVs are evolving and improving, but our Leafs are just fine, especially at the price we are paying for the SV+, with $11k+ in discounts. We (or my housemate, if I'm gone) will likely buy the car when the lease ends. We don't want a Tesla, don't want a Bolt (although I was serious about leasing one as a second car when my lease ends, if they offer Fire Sale (so to speak) leases on the NOS cars sitting on lots) and we don't want some new EV with teething problems and less comfort. I guess that we're the Buick drivers of the EV world...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

dmacarthur
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:00 pm
Delivery Date: 03 Jul 2018
Leaf Number: 306556
Location: Vermont

Re: 2020 vs. 2021 Leaf SL Plus comparison

Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:18 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:15 pm
I find it (sadly) funny: when they fixed the degradation problem (in normal climates, at least) Nissan made the Leaf into what for me and some others is a great car. The performance is more than adequate for us, as is the range of both our SL and SV+. The comfort far exceeds that of any other car we've driven. If I could afford to buy my car off-lease, and had a way to swap out the leather seats, I'd do it, despite the crash damage. (The damage was virtually all to the door, and the door was replaced.) My only complaint is that my car has a marginal radar unit that shuts down in cold, damp weather, and the dealer can't find a code stored to trigger a replacement. It's great that EVs are evolving and improving, but our Leafs are just fine, especially at the price we are paying for the SV+, with $11k+ in discounts. We (or my housemate, if I'm gone) will likely buy the car when the lease ends. We don't want a Tesla, don't want a Bolt (although I was serious about leasing one as a second car when my lease ends, if they offer Fire Sale (so to speak) leases on the NOS cars sitting on lots) and we don't want some new EV with teething problems and less comfort. I guess that we're the Buick drivers of the EV world...
Leftie- rather than Buick drivers, I think of our household and our Leaf as VW Bug drivers from the fifties and sixties, among the first economical relatively simple small cars to be available to the public..... although EVs are still too expensive for many...... but Buick? that was my grandfather's car!
2015 Leaf sold
2019 Leaf Plus S as of 9/30/19

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 16107
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: 2020 vs. 2021 Leaf SL Plus comparison

Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:49 pm

I guess that that makes me your Grandfather. ;)
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

salyavin
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:51 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2019
Leaf Number: 318726
Location: Littleton , CO

Re: 2020 vs. 2021 Leaf SL Plus comparison

Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:15 pm

queuetee wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:09 am
Hi, there is a big change between 2020 vs 2021 Leaf and that is 2021 costs $200 more. That's it!
Nissan gives up on the leaf.
Dual motor, com'on, it's been 10 years, nope
Dump Chadamo for CCS, nope
Littel tweaks to gain few miles, nope
Little acceleration boost, nope
Ok, fine. How about just a new exciting color, nope
You forgot battery cooling! (nope of course)

There are still some short distance EVs like the mini which I know of at least two locally and Fiat which has a few around as well. I do think the LEAF is more comfortable than many as well. The range of the plus I am fine with I just want that cooling for long distance trips as we like to go places.

dmacarthur
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:00 pm
Delivery Date: 03 Jul 2018
Leaf Number: 306556
Location: Vermont

Re: 2020 vs. 2021 Leaf SL Plus comparison

Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:06 pm

salyavin wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:15 pm
queuetee wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:09 am
Hi, there is a big change between 2020 vs 2021 Leaf and that is 2021 costs $200 more. That's it!
Nissan gives up on the leaf.
Dual motor, com'on, it's been 10 years, nope
Dump Chadamo for CCS, nope
Littel tweaks to gain few miles, nope
Little acceleration boost, nope
Ok, fine. How about just a new exciting color, nope
You forgot battery cooling! (nope of course)

There are still some short distance EVs like the mini which I know of at least two locally and Fiat which has a few around as well. I do think the LEAF is more comfortable than many as well. The range of the plus I am fine with I just want that cooling for long distance trips as we like to go places.

Our battery stayed plenty cool last winter going to Montreal at five below F. In that weather, battery warming would have been a good thing, but otherwise in my climate I think the Plus is fine even for travel.
2015 Leaf sold
2019 Leaf Plus S as of 9/30/19

salyavin
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:51 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2019
Leaf Number: 318726
Location: Littleton , CO

Re: 2020 vs. 2021 Leaf SL Plus comparison

Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:14 pm

In my climate (Colorado) it is good for 1-2 DCFCs in the height of summer then throttles and starts going red. I have done up to 5 but the double red bar is very bad and it took so long it may as well be l2. So even here you can do what most people drive in the height of summer. I have seen that guy in Norway do the same thing just not quite as bad so even in Norway you can overheat a plus in long distance driving. Winter I don't drive as far, I have gone to places like Breckenridge which is much closer and that is no problem at all. This winter I don't even do that with covid.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”