GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Re: First Impressions of '21 Leaf SV

Sat May 15, 2021 9:23 pm

Marktm wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 12:19 pm
Some impressions after using "Pro Pilot"and other advanced features in my 2 week old SV Plus with tech;
Note - if these needs moving to the Pro Pilot for elderly - feel free - I definitely qualify.

Driver assist:
Taking rather sharp cornering at above speed limits (50 in a 40 mph), I did not feel that PP would correct enough - waited to the last second to manually make the turn. Tried several times with same result. Lane markers where excellent. Somewhat scary!
Seems to keep too close to center stripe on narrow (well marked) lanes - especially with large gravel trucks oncomming! Drifting around the lane very noticeable compared to my actual driving skill (slight nudge to steering to keep straight).
When a well marked right turn lane starts, the PP steered toward the turn lane at a fairly high speed. Luckily, no car turning and had to manually pull back to main lane.
Brake assist and/or intelligent cruise? - a couple of scary incidents. Sudden braking for what is seemingly no reason whatsoever. Has happened a couple of times already. Braking for only a second or so, but fairly hard braking.
The worst incident yet was on a well marked two lane highway, a car in front was making a right turn. As the vehicle slowed, the intelligent cruise slowed me down appropriately. As it turned into the right turn lane, my vehicle continued to slow - even though the vehicle was well out of the straight ahead lane (in it's turn lane). Then, my brakes went very hard - like the turning vehicle was still in my path. By this time I was going very slow with high speed traffic (luckily) still safetly behind me, but approaching rapidly. I floored the accelerator, the car "clunked" and took off quickly. This could have been a serious rear-end if someone was following closely at all.

I've turned off the driver assist, but still use the "driver alert" option (the only two on the menu).
Has anyone had similar issues - or others that affect safe driving?
Your experience is similar to mine. I keep testing "Pro Pilot" periodically, but usually disable it by using the "normal" cruise control mode (hold cruise control button until the blue symbol is replaced by a speedometer icon. I think mine worked better with the OEM tires when the car was new, but the tires I have now require a little more steering force to initiate turns so it delays Pro Pilot steering and then Pro Pilot oscillates back and forth. Fortunately, when it brakes excessively for a car slowing in an adjacent lane, it will always disengage the brakes if you firmly step on the accelerator.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL Plus purchased 8/10/2019

Marktm
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 09 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 022737

Sun May 16, 2021 11:52 am

GerryAZ wrote:
Your experience is similar to mine. I keep testing "Pro Pilot" periodically, but usually disable it by using the "normal" cruise control mode (hold cruise control button until the blue symbol is replaced by a speedometer icon. I think mine worked better with the OEM tires when the car was new, but the tires I have now require a little more steering force to initiate turns so it delays Pro Pilot steering and then Pro Pilot oscillates back and forth. Fortunately, when it brakes excessively for a car slowing in an adjacent lane, it will always disengage the brakes if you firmly step on the accelerator.
I have not tried holding the PP button down to get "normal" cc - will give that a try.
What tires did you replace the original with? The 2021 comes with Michelins -17 inch.
2012 Leaf SL
2021 Leaf SV Plus

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Sun May 16, 2021 2:30 pm

I have Bridgestone DriveGuard run flat tires. They did reduce range somewhat, but the range hit becomes less as the tires age and it is nice to not worry about flat tires. I also went up to 215/55 R17 for slightly better ground clearance (had done the same size increase with last set of tires on 2015--would not recommend if there is any chance you would need to use tire chains). Bridgestone Ecopias are better for low rolling resistance and also have better wet/dry traction than the OEM Michelins in my climate.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL Plus purchased 8/10/2019

Marktm
Gold Member

Mon May 17, 2021 3:17 pm

GerryAZ wrote:

I keep testing "Pro Pilot" periodically, but usually disable it by using the "normal" cruise control mode (hold cruise control button until the blue symbol is replaced by a speedometer icon.
Tried holding the PP button down for a few and it did go to "conventional" cruise - thx for the tip as that is the mode I'll be using majority of the time. I'll be testing full PP on the next freeway cruise - I believe it will work well for those conditions.
2012 Leaf SL
2021 Leaf SV Plus

Triggerhappy007
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2019

Mon May 17, 2021 6:13 pm

Marktm wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:17 pm
Tried holding the PP button down for a few and it did go to "conventional" cruise - thx for the tip as that is the mode I'll be using majority of the time. I'll be testing full PP on the next freeway cruise - I believe it will work well for those conditions.
I'm not sure why you would want regular cruise control over adaptive cruise control. The adaptive cruise control works really well in the Leaf. I usually use 1 or 2 distance bars. It also works on city streets, you don't only have to use it on the highway. Get some practice using it and you'll love it.
2020 Leaf Plus SV Tech & All Weather
2019 Leaf SL - traded in
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited AST

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Mon May 17, 2021 7:45 pm

/\ Yup. I planned on using regular Cruise, but after trying it once I just stayed with the ACC.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

knightmb
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2021
Leaf Number: 306291

Mon May 17, 2021 9:06 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:45 pm
/\ Yup. I planned on using regular Cruise, but after trying it once I just stayed with the ACC.
I did as well. First started using regular Cruise, but one day, got stuck in traffic that was crawling just slow enough not to fully stop. I tried ePedal for about a mile, but once I figured out how long the traffic line was and no other route around it, tried ACC for the first time because I was never technically stopping. To my pleasant surprise, it followed along with all the near stopping and going very well. I just zoned out for half an hour until I finally go through it, ACC made it much easier to deal with, so much less stress. :lol:
2020 Leaf SL Plus - (Manufacture Date March 2020)
2013 Leaf SV (8 faithful years of service before trade in at 75,679 miles)

Marktm
Gold Member

Tue May 18, 2021 7:51 am

I believe adaptive cruise was the cause of the near catastropic rear end on a high speed rural road that tried to stop me in the middle of the highway due to a car turning right in a right turn lane (see previous post). Again, I did not notice if the car was showing on the screen as I was too busy worring about being rear-ended. I did have "steering assist" turned off as it just seems to "wander" too much and stay too close to the center strip for my liking.

I'm assuming that the auto braking due to a car in front was the issue, but admittedly, I'm not that familiar with all the various options and what to use (and not) under various road conditions. I just know that for my usual rural driving, I'm going to continue to use the "conventional cruise" because next time I may have a car following closely and that would have undoubtably resulted in a serious rear end collision as hard as the car auto braked.

Edit add:
I do plan on using the adaptive cruise on the (finished) sections of an interstate that I use frequently. Have not had a change to try it yet. A lot of the road is under construction, so I'll be turning on and off likely, but will be a good "experiment".
2012 Leaf SL
2021 Leaf SV Plus

frontrangeleaf
Delivery Date: 08 Jul 2019

Tue May 18, 2021 9:07 am

In my mind, none of the "next generation" driving aids that attempt to go beyond just providing assistance are reliable enough to be useful outside of highly predictable situations, such as cruising down the highway in light traffic. I will definitely be a late adopter of this technology.

The aids I find personally useful enough to turn on/regularly use include:
- Lane departure alert
- Blind spot alert
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Parking assist/360 camera
- Auto high beams
- Driver attentiveness

I haven't had any issue with auto braking in our 2019 Leaf+, so I've left it on. It activated once as I approached a stopped car at a red light just as I was about to brake myself, and I was a little late, so I thought that appropriate. It hasn't activated since in 2 years and 12k miles of driving in-town. I understand that it can be confused by snow and ice accumulating on the front of the car, so I try to keep that clear. Not sure if that's been verified, but it's plausible.

As to adaptive cruise, we don't use this car over-the-road, so our highway miles are pretty limited. Interstate across town, basically. I haven't used cruise control of any kind at all. We disable lane return (auto-steer or whatever they call it).

Driving is an inherently hazardous activity. We've reduced the risk very substantially in the 30+ years I've been behind the wheel, and for that I'm grateful. But it is also an inherently complex activity, and I don't expect AI systems to be able to replicate the alert, practiced, healthy human performance any time soon.
Empty-nesters - NW Denver-Boulder Area

2019 Leaf SL Plus
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
2007 BMW Z4 3.0Si
2012 VW GTI: SOLD

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Tue May 18, 2021 11:57 am

We disable lane return (auto-steer or whatever they call it).
"Steering Assist." My experiences have been similar to yours, except with more highway driving - but with not a lot of total driving miles. I do use the steering assist, but only as a backup to my driving skills, which aren't what they once were. My housemate wouldn't use Pro Pilot until I turned it off in her car.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”