Value of 2013 Leaf SL?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since my ID.4 is now supposed to arrive this week, I went ahead and punched the info into Carvana. They are offering me $5,952, good until 6/15. I will now take it over to Nissan and VW and see if they want it and will make a competitive offer.

DarthPuppy said:
cwerdna said:
^^^
Will do. Hope they show up w/a flatbed truck, payment and it's done once the paperwork is done.

Did you complete the sale? How'd it go?
Not yet. The June 7th time slots didn't work for me but June 8th did. They should show up today at 7 pm.

I asked them via chat/text whether they know they'll show up in a flatbed or Uber (driving the car away). They originally said they wouldn't know until closer to the appointment. It's related to whether or not I need to charge it and how fully.

They still don't know and said that if there's a problem w/reaching their depot (they didn't seem to know how far it'd be) they can have a 3rd-party towing company get it. They earlier said the pickup should be within 50 miles of their hub but in a later text, they said 100 miles. I replied my Leaf can't make it 100 miles on the highway on a full charge, even if new. Again, they said it can be towed, if needed.

Ok... It's sitting at below 70% SoC now.

Hope everything goes well.

My Leaf is sold. It took under 30 minutes and would've been even less if I didn't watch the driver take pics, drive the car onto his flatbed and tie it down. I just did a mobile deposit of the check.

They didn't check for the stock L1 120 volt EVSE but I provided it anyway, mentioning it came with the car.

I wasn't notified about flatbed vs. a guy coming via Uber ahead of time. The driver called me wanting to come by a bit early and he said no worries, he'd be putting it on the back of his truck.

Can write more later.

Well, my for sale sign parked in the neighborhood didn't generate any interest. I'm not inclined to pursue a private sale beyond immediate neighbors/people I know. So I've accepted Carvana's $5,952 offer. Pickup is scheduled for Saturday. I will let you know how it goes. Looks like they are located 65 miles from me, so I hope they bring a truck, though GOM shows 72-75 range. I will still have it fully charged in case they don't bring a truck.

Local Nissan dealer offered $5k as an outright buy. VW was willing to 'stretch' to $5,200 as a trade-in. So Carvana wins.

Thank you to everyone who provided insight.

Well Carvana had some sort of issue. They rescheduled from today to next Friday, same time without bothering to inform me. Presumptuous to switch from a weekend to a weekday without checking to see if we are available on a weekday. They have all my contact info, but don't seem to know how to use it. Fortunately, I can do Friday. I will give them this one more chance. If they stand me up a 2nd time, I'm taking my car elsewhere.

Bummer! I received text message and emails as reminders of my appointment date, which they kept.

My Leaf finally appeared for sale on Carvana around Friday 6/18, so it took about 10 days. They want $9,900 for it. I'm no dealer nor Carvana, so for sure there's no way I could command a price anywhere close to that. Looks like someone is biting as it is in this state now:
"PURCHASE PENDING
Another customer has started purchasing this vehicle. By providing your contact information below, we can let you know if this vehicle becomes available again..."

I wonder if they'll keep it or return within the 7 days....

One of the pics showing the nav system had the car in Sunnyvale. At least of my Leaf and a few '13's I looked at, they showed the capacity bars. My former Leaf is a "Marketplace" car and not "Carvana Certified".

Whenever I've checked '13 Leaf prices are on Carvana, they are pretty darn high. For whatever reason, people are willing to a pay big premium buying from them. I'm fine w/the transaction and of course knew they'd mark it up, since they have to cover their overhead, risks and make a profit overall.

I think that they have a customer base of people who drive 2011 or 2012 Leafs and want the upgrades of the 2013. They have probably also heard that the 2013 has a much better battery.( not knowing that not all of the 2013 have the improved battery.) Sorry about the typos, but I'm posting from my phone.

I haven't examined Carvana's listings carefully but I do notice some are misidentified.

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1856316 is listed as a '13 S but if you look at the pics, it's definitely an SV w/premium and quick charge + LED headlights package since it has the camera button, Bose subwoofer and CHAdeMO inlet. I'd leased this equipment level before. Too bad, it's only a 9 bar car.

Tues 6/22/21 update: Looks like my former Leaf has disappeared from the search results for 2013 Leafs. I have an URL pointing to the listing still and it's still in purchase pending state. If so, it got snapped up pretty quick. Will be interesting to see if it gets returned and back on their site. I do wonder what expectations these buyers have.

Okay, the 2nd attempt to sell it to Carvana was successful. They were 3 hours late for the appointment. They called after they were an hour late and apologized and said it would be another 1.5 hours and offered to reschedule if that wouldn't work. Fortunately, we didn't have anything else booked this afternoon so we were able to wait.

Once they were here, it went smoothly. They completed the transaction and put a lockbox on the car and indicated their tow company would be by later today to pick it up.

Conclusion: A bit more hassle than the sale to Nissan or the trade-in to VW would have been, but I'm up $750-950 for that hassle. And no where near the hassle of a private party sale. So in the end, I do recommend them and will give them a shot at the next car I need to sell.

BTW - I also checked with Vroom and they offered less than $4k after asking almost the exact same questions. So it makes sense to check multiple programs.

Took about a month, but Carvana just today listed my Leaf for sale on their site. With just 10 views thus far, they already have a purchase in progress with a price of $11,990. Looks like they added 12 miles in doing their inspections, testing, etc. No pictures yet as it is too new so it is just showing their stock photo for a white Leaf.

Hopefully it finds a good home with someone who will be able to use it well and appreciate it for many more years.

cwerdna said:
My Leaf finally appeared for sale on Carvana around Friday 6/18, so it took about 10 days. They want $9,900 for it. I'm no dealer nor Carvana, so for sure there's no way I could command a price anywhere close to that. Looks like someone is biting as it is in this state now:
"PURCHASE PENDING
Another customer has started purchasing this vehicle. By providing your contact information below, we can let you know if this vehicle becomes available again..."

I wonder if they'll keep it or return within the 7 days....

One of the pics showing the nav system had the car in Sunnyvale. At least of my Leaf and a few '13's I looked at, they showed the capacity bars. My former Leaf is a "Marketplace" car and not "Carvana Certified".

Whenever I've checked '13 Leaf prices are on Carvana, they are pretty darn high. For whatever reason, people are willing to a pay big premium buying from them. I'm fine w/the transaction and of course knew they'd mark it up, since they have to cover their overhead, risks and make a profit overall.
Just for kicks, unless there's a clerical error, it looks like my former Leaf went back up for sale at Carvana and is currently in purchase pending state.

I recognize some of the flaws they pointed out before and one of the pics still has a pic of the plate unblurred, which matches what I had. I noticed they have the a Carfax link and yep, the VIN matches mine. Carvana now wants $9,590 for it. It seems it has only gained ~29 miles vs. when I sold it to them.

The odometer pic they took still shows 11 capacity bars. Their prices are pretty darn high and perhaps if they lowered it, they might not have to deal w/the returns.

Update: I deleted my earlier speculation about Arizona. I realized that Carvana's HQ is in Tempe, AZ and there's a title issue/update in Tempe, AZ w/the Arizona Motor Vehicle Dept. I do wonder if Carvana's actually "sold" it at least once or a few times and taken it back each time since they do have a return policy.

Seems like the TCU on the Leaf I sold to Carvana still works. I received a Nissan LEAF update: Charging Complete email this morning with it fully charged. A few hours later, I received a stopped charging email at 8 bars.

update: I received yet another a few minutes ago with a stopped charging at 10 bars.

cwerdna said:
The bolded part is the disturbing trend I've seen over the years. People will pop into Leaf FB groups having bought a Leaf many bars down, not having done their research, often model year '12 or earlier or built before 4/2013 then complaining about its short range, the GOM (why does it drop so much, why it only charges up to nn miles, etc.) But, they can't return the car, people have to give them the bad news about how much it costs for a replacement battery, etc.

They also have no idea about Leafs being reset and it seems some are reset victims, like this one guy who recently was complaining on one group (the admins for some reason deleted one of his threads, taking out my replies + others). His '13 "8 bar" car dropped to 4 capacity bars within a few months. He was way past his capacity warranty, keeps trying to say it's defective should be covered under the battery defects warranty (people have to explain over and over and it apparently expired, it seems) and yet he kept griping about Nissan. It seems he bought from some shady reseller.
On this note, today, I saw a disturbing post at https://www.facebook.com/groups/NissanLeafOwners/posts/5809322179165723/. We have almost no info though (e.g. how many bars down, did they charge to 100%, how many miles per kWh, how fast they were going, etc.).

They wrote:
Got my 2015 Leaf two weeks ago. Loving it until now. Had a 50 mile trip this afternoon. When I left, the charge showed 70 miles. Within 25 miles it had dropped to 12 miles. Temps in the 30s, heavy rain ,now very wet snow. Waiting for the tow truck since there is no charging truck in the area. I turned off all accessories, even the defrost. Had to have headlights and windshield wipers. Not thrilled.
Ummm, even a '15 Leaf with brand new battery at below freezing temps may not be able to make 50 miles on a charge if it's at highway speeds. They appear to be in Oregon.

Back